LSG Pellet Smoker: Anyone trid a cold smoke? (etc)

Shan

I've been using a Primo Oval for a couple of years and am ready to go to something bigger and a little easier to control and clean up. I'm interested in cold smoking as well, and the LSG apparently handles that. Are there any LSG Pellet Smoker owners who have tried a cold smoke yet?

Also...

I've been researching pellet grills for a couple of months and spent half of today reading pellet grill and buying advice threads here, and none of them address my specific quandary, so here's another advice request (sorry!).

So, I'm down to LSG, Pits and Spits Maverick, Fast Eddy's PG100/500 and Camp Chef Woodwind. LSG is obviously well-built and I love the heat range but do I need to worry about rust as opposed to the stainless smokers? Should I consider a MAK 2 and hope they return to production soon, since LSG has a 3-5-month wait anyway? Maverick is well-built too, and cheaper, and accurate. Or is the Camp Chef just as good? From what I've read it doesn't retain heat as well as others but it smokes as low as 165 and you can get a sear box attachment included and still spend a lot less money.

Thanks in advance!

-Shan

Last edited:
Of all the pellet grills you've mentioned even the Woodwind is more than I was willing to pay. I did however buy a Camp Chef 24SG for the features and with the exception of the near universal complaint of lack of smoke flavor I've been happy. The features I like are the pellet hopper dump, the fire pot clean-out, and the sear station in the grill. The ability to add the side propane options is bonus too.

Use 100% flavor wood pellets and if necessary add a smoke tube. IMO SS and heavy gauge steel in pellet grills is a bit of hype to add cost.

Doing a cold smoke will require a smoke tube or maze and I'm not sure if any of the grills you're looking at has a fan only setting but the Camp Chef's do not.

Last edited:
I really like the Pitts and Spitts and the LSG pits, but if I had to come up with the cash for one on your list, it would be the Mak 2 star. Has best track record, and people rave about the smoke quality. Has the cold smoke box also.

Hi Shan - My LSG pellet grill will be delivered this Friday (ordered late August). I am definitely interested in the cold smoke ability too. Hopefully, I can provide some insight shortly.
I have cooked with a Maverick 1250 regularly last summer and will be able to provide some thoughts on that as well. Maybe not in time to help with your decision though.

Will be interesting to see your thoughts about the lsg. If I were to ever get back into pellets, it would be the lsg or Mak for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the responses, everybody!

I was really considering the Camp Chef but in the end couldn't pull the trigger with so many American-made options out there. I love the build and features both the LS and P&S, but I went with the Mak 2SG. So stoked!

Hi Shan - My LSG pellet grill will be delivered this Friday (ordered late August). I am definitely interested in the cold smoke ability too. Hopefully, I can provide some insight shortly.
I have cooked with a Maverick 1250 regularly last summer and will be able to provide some thoughts on that as well. Maybe not in time to help with your decision though.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on LSG as a current Maverick 850 owner.

Back