THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one would you pick, and why?

• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
I missed this last night because I went to bed with the chickens. One thing I'd like to point out about the extra racks is that yes they will give you more square inches of cooking space but that space has low head room. You will be able to cook huge amounts of ribs, leg quarters or appetizers but not more butts, briskets or turkeys.
You can load briskets up on all 7 racks. I played with briskets on my racks and they fit, but without the catch pan and rack that I normally use.

You can load briskets up on all 7 racks. I played with briskets on my racks and they fit, but without the catch pan and rack that I normally use.

You must have the new style SS round bar racks. They are much thinner. I have the expanded metal racks. If I put all of my racks in they are too close to fit a packer in between except for the rack where the temp probe is.

You must have the new style SS round bar racks. They are much thinner. I have the expanded metal racks. If I put all of my racks in they are too close to fit a packer in between except for the rack where the temp probe is.

that extra inch makes a big difference. :pound: i have a cooker with 4" and 4.5" of clearance between racks and if you trim enough of the fat between the point and flat you can fit a brisket. this does not apply to anything over 15LBS.:mmph:

I kind of wish the vertical offsets had this as an option. Not sure what that would do to the price, but seems like it would be a good space saver.

I kind of wish the vertical offsets had this as an option. Not sure what that would do to the price, but seems like it would be a good space saver.

Chris can make it an option for you. When I bought my cabinet the extra racks were not listed as an option but they did it for me. Several others wanted them so now they list extra rails and racks as an option. It is actually pretty cheap and worthwhile option.

Well, I just got a Purple Thermapen MK4 for me ,and a Green ThermoPop for my bitter half. I mean my lovely wife of 25 years.

Does anyone have an answer for me on the 4 vs 7 racks, and space? I posed the question with Chris hope he can answer for me.

Am I wrong to think you have more usable space with the 4 larger racks on the standard vs the 7 smaller racks on mini? I know the sq inches are close to the same, but do you get more with the width or does it all even out?

Well, I just got a Purple Thermapen MK4 for me ,and a Green ThermoPop for my bitter half. I mean my lovely wife of 25 years.

Does anyone have an answer for me on the 4 vs 7 racks, and space? I posed the question with Chris hope he can answer for me.

Am I wrong to think you have more usable space with the 4 larger racks on the standard vs the 7 smaller racks on mini? I know the sq inches are close to the same, but do you get more with the width or does it all even out?

I thought a couple posts on page 11 covered this? Maybe I am to dumb to understand the question? Square inches might be the same but clearance space between racks is cut in half.

It's going to be a long 12+ weeks for me :)

My LSG large insulated cabinet was shipped today...wuhu! 14 weeks and 2 days from date of order and deposit.

I will chronicle the un-crating and seasoning next week. I am in Fort Worth, so with any luck it will be delivered on Monday.

Here is a mock-up of my unit:
mockup.jpg

Last edited:
My LSG large insulated cabinet was shipped today...wuhu! 14 weeks and 2 days from date of order and deposit.

I will chronicle the un-crating and seasoning next week. I am in Fort Worth, so with any luck it will be delivered on Monday.

Here is a mock-up of my unit:
mockup.jpg

I just ordered a cart on each side :shock: Kidding

KKegans I ordered the exact same config

With the cart option you can only have the collapasable shelf on the right side of the cabinet

You can order the cart option with the built in shelf on both sides or just one side
But if you just get the built in shelf on the right you cannot put a collapsible shelf on the left due to the various ball valves

Kkegans

Why did you order the cart on the door hinge side? Vs the spare shelf on that side?

I have always disliked the idea of having the 3 ball valves and the web guru fan hanging off of the side of the cabinet without any protection. I thought the cart on that side would be good protection for that hardware as well as providing a great place for the power supply or battery for the guru and fan.

I am also going to fabricate a stainless steel rack under the cart shelf for the guru controller to be in protected from the rain, sleet, snow or sun.

By adding the folding shelf on the door opening side I still have a great work top for wrapping, saucing, etc when needed and I don't have to be concerned with spills filling the bottom of the cart.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to order the standard. I live in New England so I'm kind of considering Humphreys but I can't beat the value that lone star has to offer. I want to enter the world of vending farmers markets and catering and based off of what I have been reading/hearing this smoker will get the job done. I'm shooting to pull the trigger in January/February. With the options that I ask for I'd come in at around $4000 including shipping. Can't beat that!

Back