LSG 60" Santa Maria, it has begun!

I won't say congrats until it's sitting in your backyard....man that sucker will cook food for the whole neighborhood!

60" is a big grill, whole pig size. Make sure you post some pics when it arrives.

ya it was cheaper to go from 48 to 60 than it was to get the brasero($100 vs $400) so i figured why not!

Looking forward to pictures!
When I made my "dinky" santa maria, I pondered long and hard about rigging a brasero or not. I reasoned that my short fast cooks would make it a cool- but seldom used- feature.

You will have a blast with open fire cooking. I'd have gone with the 60" over the brasero option for sure. You can even get a 15" burn box made that could go on one side of the firebox and be a " brasero which would leave 45" of cooking space, which is still plenty.
2 pieces of unsolicited advice
1. Keep in mind it will eat a ton of wood. Like, 3-4 full sized sticks an hour, maybe more if you plan on doing big or long cooks.
2. Try to get the grates in as many pieces as possible. 4× 15" V or bar grates would be the minimum. 5x 12" or 6x 10" could be better.

Enjoy.

Happy for you! Please post some pics when you get it. Always liked the idea of one, and have an opportunity to completely customize my outdoor cooking space.

You will have a blast with open fire cooking. I'd have gone with the 60" over the brasero option for sure. You can even get a 15" burn box made that could go on one side of the firebox and be a " brasero which would leave 45" of cooking space, which is still plenty.
2 pieces of unsolicited advice
1. Keep in mind it will eat a ton of wood. Like, 3-4 full sized sticks an hour, maybe more if you plan on doing big or long cooks.
2. Try to get the grates in as many pieces as possible. 4× 15" V or bar grates would be the minimum. 5x 12" or 6x 10" could be better.

Enjoy.

Sorry to dig up an older thread but I missed it the first time around. On the face of it I agree with number 2 but curious as to why you feel that way? Purpose of more pieces?

I just ordered an LSG popper, but plan on building my own Santa Maria. Which is why i am curious about num 2. Congrats on the new grill

Sorry to dig up an older thread but I missed it the first time around. On the face of it I agree with number 2 but curious as to why you feel that way? Purpose of more pieces?

My 30" Santa Maria has a 1-piece grate.

2 problems with the single piece are:
1. It is pretty darn heavy and unwieldy. It is tough to find somewhere to store it when using bar grate or my kabob spinner.
2. I don't have a brasero and build a fire on the left hand 1/3 of the grill. That means 10" or so of the grat is just getting super heated by the fire for no reason. Not too big a deal since the grate is really thick steel, but it gets on my nerves.

I plan to eventually get the grate cut down into 3x 10" pieces.

My 30" Santa Maria has a 1-piece grate.

2 problems with the single piece are:
1. It is pretty darn heavy and unwieldy. It is tough to find somewhere to store it when using bar grate or my kabob spinner.
2. I don't have a brasero and build a fire on the left hand 1/3 of the grill. That means 10" or so of the grat is just getting super heated by the fire for no reason. Not too big a deal since the grate is really thick steel, but it gets on my nerves.

I plan to eventually get the grate cut down into 3x 10" pieces.

luckily the LSG one has the bar grates in 6 in sections and the v grates are in 18 in sections

well...its here! will get it uncrated and into the backyard tomorrow!

AJFCJaVPuwsp-SUL9CQVndQVw_e47IfTbZQIQ6x0kv20xuCte4sS-PwH3_BCn-ADtvm_XCNYPcPxSe8frHrVWwtY2IN6P7J6j418LxEgui7wZRIUuOPBtdOQ0HGdp0PCk9P3cu461Qy33tmZwmrKq-GlQOud=w1716-h1287-s-no

Back