Lower End Competitions

Start by googling cooking contests near your area. look in the archives of the local papers for rib cookoffs, firehouse fundraisers, etc. There are a plethera of non-sactioned contests out there.

If you ever can make it to a contest we are at, you are more than welcome to tag along, help out, and see if you like the KCBS circuit.

Neil

That would be because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In competitions you must please (and not offend) 6 judges and still stay within the definitions prescribed by the sanctioning body. At home you can make it to your own preference; damn those other folks, and damn some sanctioning bodies definition of what is and isn't barbecue. Also know that different sanctioning bodies tend to define it a little differently. Just an example, while KCBS would define the perfect rib as bite through cleanly, MBN would define it as pull cleanly from the bone with only a little resistance. While there's only a 15-20 minute difference in the two, many people want their ribs falling off the bone if they can get 'em.

My father defines perfect barbecue as very under-cooked, tough, have to gnaw rib meat off the bone, and blacken the sauces on the outside. He also doesn't care for smoke flavor at all.
In a competition, his definition of perfect ribs would, beyond any shadow of a doubt, get DAL consistently. Interesting note: I grew up hating barbecue cooked at home, especially ribs.

For me perfection is pretty close to MBN's definition. I dont want them falling off the bone, but very close. I like them with no or only a tiny amount of sauce. Memphis ribs, if you will.
I like them a little peppery with only perhaps a slight hint of sweet. For competitions mine would be a little too spicy on the pepper and not sweet enough. My best friend likes his a little more salty and sweeter.

At competitions you have 1 chance to impress all 6 judges. You'll cook to that standard.

This is kinda my point, although i didn't get it across as well as you.:clap2:

If you want to test your skills then pick a sanctioning body and cook to their standards, by cooking just any contest your not going to get clear definitions of what is expected, so its hard to judge how your doing. Rules and expectations will be different.

Comps are expensive, not only for the fees, but its a lot of meat to buy as well, as equipment.

check them out they are lots of fun.

That would be because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In competitions you must please (and not offend) 6 judges and still stay within the definitions prescribed by the sanctioning body. At home you can make it to your own preference; damn those other folks, and damn some sanctioning bodies definition of what is and isn't barbecue. Also know that different sanctioning bodies tend to define it a little differently. Just an example, while KCBS would define the perfect rib as bite through cleanly, MBN would define it as pull cleanly from the bone with only a little resistance. While there's only a 15-20 minute difference in the two, many people want their ribs falling off the bone if they can get 'em.

My father defines perfect barbecue as very under-cooked, tough, have to gnaw rib meat off the bone, and blacken the sauces on the outside. He also doesn't care for smoke flavor at all.
In a competition, his definition of perfect ribs would, beyond any shadow of a doubt, get DAL consistently. Interesting note: I grew up hating barbecue cooked at home, especially ribs.

For me perfection is pretty close to MBN's definition. I dont want them falling off the bone, but very close. I like them with no or only a tiny amount of sauce. Memphis ribs, if you will.
I like them a little peppery with only perhaps a slight hint of sweet. For competitions mine would be a little too spicy on the pepper and not sweet enough. My best friend likes his a little more salty and sweeter.

At competitions you have 1 chance to impress all 6 judges. You'll cook to that standard.

how do you feel about chicken? :becky:

Start saving now and I'll see you next year at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren on Long Island.

a really fun comp is Galvinells in Conowingo MD. run by Mid-Atlantic BBQ. great people and a really good time. I think the entry fee is $100.00 . its a great place to get your feet wet, and in your neck of the woods.

Back