THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you cook your brisket?

• Low & Slow

Votes: 99 81.1%
  • Hot & Fast

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • I like free brisket that someone else has cooked

Votes: 13 10.7%

• Total voters
I like to start off high to form a nice crust (seals in all those juices), and then I let the temp mellow out to about 210-250 for a long slow cook. It has worked out pretty good for me.

In the WSM i cook it where ever it decides to settle usually between 230-275 or there bouts. i set it and forget till i wake up in the morning. never had any problems. in the big cooker im sure it cooks a little hotter than the WSM. Out of all the briskets ive ever cooked ive only had 1 or 2 dry ones.

I did my last brisket hot and fast (temps above 300 the whole time, foiled at 170) and it came out amazingly well. If you've never tried it I'd recommend it. There is a comprehensive thread at the Weber Virtual Bullet message board re. the high speed brisket technique.

Forever I've done my brisket slow and low around 220-240 with it normally taking 14-18 hours to cook depending on size.

However lately I've been cooking the SmokyOkie way:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32152
Where I can cook one in 6-8 hours. I still haven't made my mind up as to which method produces better brisket...BUT... Cooking for 6-8hrs is a heck of a lot better than cooking 14-18hrs.

In lieu of this all-nighter smoking I have been doing I may be changing my vote to hot and fast. :icon_smil But less I not speak too quickly before I judge the fruits of my labors later today. :icon_sleepy

Low and slow......More time for brew and outdoors!!! Plus thats the way I have been doing for years.........

Low and slow was good for three 1st place finishes in brisket in comps this year....I'm afraid I'd be a hard one to convert to hot and fast.......:lol:

There is no need to change anything.
Both techniques work great depending on the cook's desires and the cooker used! :lol:

Definitely not an either'or type deal!

TIM

I had a sample of someones 4 hour brisket they injected the thing till it looked like a huge football.I did not care for the taste or texture but he won 1st with it.

I had a sample of someones 4 hour brisket they injected the thing till it looked like a huge football.I did not care for the taste or texture but he won 1st with it.

YUP!

Ain't that amazing? :lol:

Our best ever cooking brisket that way was 2nd in a KCBS event.
I am jealous!

But, remember, it can't be done :oops:

TIM

I do mine slow, but I've had some fine stuff cooked at high heat. Them Texas legends seem to do it hot and fast, and they been doin' it for decades. I otta try it sometime.............

Back