THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joeraz007

Full Fledged Farker
I am looking for a new brisket cooker. This cooker will be used only for kcbs contest for brisket category only. we currently use drums but cant get the brisket nailed down on the drums. Any suggestions other than drum? I am thinking maybe a small stick burner just not sure of quality brands that are not to big. We have a jambo enclosed on order but it wont be ready until 2020. So we need something for the rest of this season. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

What have you tried with the drum? My Hunsaker is a great brisket cooker!

I know that you have the Jambo on order, but have you looked at the Outlaw smokers? Jay builds one he#$ of an offset!

I am looking for a small cabinet or small stick burner something just for brisket. I may try a outlaw down the road they are beautiful pits. But for now I don't need two full size stick burner.

I was going to suggest a drum but I see that's what you already have. Now I'm wondering if you can't cook them properly on a drum, why would a different smoker help? Have you went over your process and thought about where you might be going wrong? Maybe a class? You can put a heat diffuser in a gateway drum and turn it into a smoker no different than pretty much anything else out there. A class from one of the top cooks in the country cooking on cans would be cheaper than another cooker.

we have taken many classes. we know how to cook ranked in the top 40 in kcbs at the moment. We have been nailing tenderness its just not scoring we have tried several recipe's I feel the problem is the drum just doesn't put a smoke flavor on the beef like an offset does. Do you guys know of any small insulated offset? Only one I know of is the jambo backyard

I am looking for a new brisket cooker. This cooker will be used only for kcbs contest for brisket category only. we currently use drums but cant get the brisket nailed down on the drums. Any suggestions other than drum? I am thinking maybe a small stick burner just not sure of quality brands that are not to big. We have a jambo enclosed on order but it wont be ready until 2020. So we need something for the rest of this season. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Edit: You basically already responded to someone else that posted a similar comment to mine. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would look at a humphreys weekender for 1000 dollars it is a great brisket cooker. you can cook to briskets at once. i love how the brisket cooks my briskets

I'd stick with the drum if I were you. Top 40 in KCBS right now isn't shabby. Gateway drums are proven winners. You've progressed a long way since you've been coming here. Sometimes it just takes time to work your way to the top

I don't often hear people cite the desire for more smoke as their reason for ordering a Jambo. If you aren't getting sufficient smoke from cans I'm not sure a Jambo will be the magic bullet you are looking for.

I'd take another look at your recipes and process before pulling the trigger on another pit.

we have taken many classes. we know how to cook ranked in the top 40 in kcbs at the moment. We have been nailing tenderness its just not scoring we have tried several recipe's I feel the problem is the drum just doesn't put a smoke flavor on the beef like an offset does. Do you guys know of any small insulated offset? Only one I know of is the jambo backyard
Sorry, but if it's not scoring you are not nailing tenderness. Doubt it has anything to do with smoke flavor. Trying several recipes instead of sticking to one and cooking it repeatedly, getting consistent with it would also cause poor scores.

Might want to look into the KBQ C-60. Supposedly KCBS approved. Up to 60lbs capacity. Weighs
about 70lbs but easy to break down for travel. Downsides: you need electricity, the fire needs to be fed about every half hour.

Makes great Q, adjustable smoke levels. $1440 plus ~$100 shipping.

It's not insulated, but that's by design.

https://kbq.us/

Stumps Don't Build No Junk. Baby Gravity Feed Or Stumpster Variable Burn Either May Work For You.

Back