THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bob, aka, Uncle
I have what I consider an adequate spice supply and good ground beef; so I don't want to buy a package but would rather mix my own.

Can anyone point me to a good 'from scratch' recipe? (yes, I have some scratch :grin: )

TIA

Here's one I used a while back, it was pretty good but some folks say beans is a sin.

Five-Alarm Chili
This hearty Five-Alarm Chili is loaded with enough spice to call in the fire department. The spice comes from 5 different sources: jalapeno, chipotle in adobo, chili powder, cayenne, and ancho.

Ingredients
Chili

2 ounces died ancho chiles stems and seeds removed and flesh torn into 1-inch pieces (4 to 6)
3 1/2 cups water
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
4.67 from 6 votes
3/4 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
1/4 cup canned chipotle chilis in adobo sauce plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, I used about 4 peppers which almost filled up 1/4 cup measure cup and I added adobo sauce to fill the cup 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
2 pounds 85% lean ground beef (I used 93% lean)
salt and pepper
2 pounds onion, I used 2 medium-sized onions, chopped fine
2 jalapeno chilis, I just used 1, stemmed, seeds reserved, and minced
6 cloves garlic (I used 4)
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, I used 1/2 teaspoon
1 1/2 cups beer (I used Budweiser)
3 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed

Instructions
1. Combine ancho chilis and 1 1/2 cup water in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until softened, about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Drain and discard liquid.
2. Place ancho chilis, tomatoes and their juice, remaining 2 cups water, tortilla chips, and chipotle in adobo sauce in a blender and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven until oil starts to smoke. Add ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook until well-browned, breaking into pieces with spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain meat in a colander and set aside.
4. Heat remaining 4 teaspoons oil in Dutch oven and add onions and jalapenos with seeds. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until onion is nicely browned. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, sugar, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Pour in beer and bring to a simmer. Add in beans, ancho-tomato mixture, and beef and return to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 50 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Chili - Texas Style

Ingredients:

2 T vegetable or olive oil
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow onion; diced
3-4 jalapenos cleaned, seeded and diced
2 lbs. smoked brisket burnt ends (or 2 lbs. of coarse chili grind)
4 10 oz. cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, undrained
1 12 oz. can tomato paste
6 C water
2 T chili powder
1 T cumin
4 T molasses
Salt (to taste)

Instructions:

Clean and deseed the yellow bell pepper and the jalapenos then dice them up with the onion.

Pour 2 T of vegetable or olive oil into a large chili pot over medium heat then add vegetables. Stir occasionally until the peppers soften and onion begins to clear.

Cube brisket burnt ends into ½” pieces then add to the pot.

Let the vegetables and meat cook together for about 10 minutes.

Add everything else, stir well.

While still on medium heat, cover the pot and bring the chili to a boil.

Once it boils, turn the heat down to low and remove the lid. Let the chili continue to cook on low for about 2 hours or until it obtains the thickness you are looking for.

I remembered that l ran across a couple of the Marlboro Cookbooks I got back in the late 70s. They had a few chili recipes. Quick Google search came up with this one. Looks to be a true Texas Red recipe as there are no tomatoes in it.

ZgRaDZih.jpg

Personally, I've been making a version of Bad Attitude Chili for probably close to 20 years. Was never able to find Hatch Chiles until recently, so I always used a combination of numerous different chiles. Mild, medium & hot run through the food frocessor. Looks like the original website might be down. But here's another one that has the recipe. https://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Bad+attitude+chili

Measure Ingredient
2 pounds Pork roast cut into 1\" pieces
2 pounds Cheap ground beef (You'll need the fat. This isn't health food)
½ cup GOOD chile powder (Your local supermarket brand tastes like cardboard)
1 HUGE onion; roughly chopped
1 Head garlic; minced
8 New Mexican green chiles; roasted; peeled, seeded, chopped
1 tablespoon Hot Hungarian paprika (This is legal. Paprika is a chile.)
1 tablespoon Ground cumin
4 Beef boullion cubes
1 can (28-oz) crushed tomatoes (Dont' worry. You won't even know they are there.)
1 Bottle amber Mexican beer (Dos Equiis; Noche Buena, or any Oktoberfest will do.)
¼ cup Bourbon (This is one of those things that just happened.)
2 Squares bitter baker's chocolate (Not as weird as it sounds.)
Salt to taste

Sautee ¼ of the garlic and onions until translucent. Add ¼ of the meat, chile powder and brown. Salt the meat while cooking. Put into your chili pot. Cast iron is best. Repeat until all the meat is done. Put the rest of the ingredients in you chili pot and simmer for for a hour.

As in any recipe, the amount of ingredients is variable. Add more of anything you want, especially chiles.

You now have the power. Use it wisely. The eyes of Texas are upon you! CHILE-HEADS DIGEST V3 #031

Previously from the BBQ-Brethren

Bludawg's Texas Chili (very hot)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2725895&postcount=10

3 pounds. lean chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 tablespoon. lard or oil
1 large. yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 teaspoon. ground cumin
1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes
3 dried ancho peppers, stems, seeds removed;cut into 1 inch pieces
1 10.5 ounce can condensed beef broth
10.5 ounces of water(use broth can)
1/2 teaspoon. dried Mexican oregano, crushed

Place the peppers in a blender; blend until ground.
Heat up the lard in a large sauce pan or skillet and saute the onions until tender.
Add the meat, garlic, cumin, and ground peppers. Cook until the meat is brown.
Stir in beef broth, water, and Mexican oregano. Bring to boiling; reduce
heat.

Simmer uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.

==============================================================

Boshizzle's Competition Chili
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2236544&postcount=44

Version 1.1 (Won 1st place)

2 pounds of 93% lean ground beef
2 15 ounce cans of black beans - rinsed
1 15 ounce can of light red kidney beans - rinsed
1 11 ounce can of Mexican corn - drained
2 1.25 ounce packets of Old El Paso Reduced Sodium Taco Seasoning
1 1.25 ounce packet of Old El Paso Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning
2 TBS Obie-Cue's Fajita Fabulosa
1 Medium size onion chopped
6 - 8 garlic cloves chopped
1 28 ounce can of Cento San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes pureed in food processor
1 26 ounce container of unsalted beef stock
4 packets (not boxes) of Herb-Ox Sodium Free Instant Beef Broth & Seasoning
2 Tsp ground Cumin
1 Tsp ground Coriander
1 Tsp Worsty Sauce
1/2 Tsp ground bay leaf (Or just use 2 bay leaves and remove before serving)
1 TBS Brown Sugar or to taste
2 TBS Texas Pete Hot Sauce or to taste
1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) or to taste
1 TBS Olive oil

Saute the onion and garlic in 1 TBS olive oil for about 2-3 minutes and don't let them burn. Add the ground beef immediately followed by the beef stock. Stir the ground beef/onion/garlic/stock mixture into a slurry. This is when the beef breaks down into fine pieces that contributes to the chili's texture.

Once the beef is done, add the tomatoes and bay leaf and 1 packet of the reduced sodium taco seasoning and cook for 20 minutes at a medium boil. Add the 2nd packet of low sodium taco seasoning, the Worsty, Herb-Ox beef/seasoning, cumin, and coriander. Let the mixture continue to cook at a medium boil for another 20 to 30 minutes. The chili should begin to thicken up and much of the broth should be reducing and boiling away.

Add the hot & spicy taco seasoning and the Fajita Fabulosa, the beans, and the corn and let the chili continue to cook until it reaches a thick consistency without broth on top. The broth should be more of a sauce in the meat than a soup. Let it continue to cook until the proper consistency is reached.

At this point, it's time to start tuning the flavor. This is where the sugar, vinegar, and Texas Pete come in.I look for a smooth flavor finish without any harshness or bitterness and without a pronounced sweet flavor (so go easy on the sugar) and with a hint of heat right at the end. I have found that a little vinegar and a little heat from the Texas Pete along with a little sugar can help smooth out the flavor landing. Once you are happy with the flavor, serve and enjoy. And, as is the case with most chili recipes, it's better reheated after you cool it and store in the fridge over night.

Chili Queen Chili Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3091711&postcount=44

This is, according to the legend, one of San Antonio chili queen's original recipe circa 1885.

2 pounds beef, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 pounds pork, cut into ½ inch cubes
¼ cup suet
¼ cup pork fat
3 medium onions, chopped
6 clove garlic, minced
1 quarts water
4 ancho chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
1 serrano chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
6 dried red New Mexican chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
1 tablespoons cumin seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
salt, to taste

Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. Quickly cook in the suet and pork fat, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and sauté until they are tender and limp. Remove all pieces of fat. Add the water to the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.

Grind the chiles in a blender or molcajete. Add to the meat mixture. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises, then serve

hcj3rd's Chili Recipe
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2046932&postcount=11

Brown
1.5 lb chuck roast and
1 1lb venison chili meat
salt and pepper.

Then Add:
2 Cans Chicken Broth
1 Can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1 Small Can Spicey V-8 Juice
1 tbs Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbs Chili Powder (Gebhardts)

@ 1 hrs Add:
2 tbs chili powder (Gebhardts)
5 tsp cumin
1 tsp msg
1 tbs hot sauce

@ 2 hrs Add:
1 tsp New Mexico hot chili powder
1 tsp tabasco sauce
½ tsp cayenne pepper (taste first to see if it is hot enough before adding)
1 tbs chili powder (Gebhardts)
Salt to taste watch the salt

@ 3 hrs Add:
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp cumin
Salt to taste
Drop 3 chocolate hersey kisses in right before turning

Add more chicken broth or water if it gets to thick anytime during the cook. Make sure you buy the low sodium chicken broth or it will taste too salty.

Moose & The Missus’ Chili
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2046914&postcount=8

What you’ll need to get started:

A ceramic or clay pot with cover, OR a large cast iron pot with cover. Cooking chili over a stovetop is a virtual guarantee you will burn your spices, which will cause them to turn bitter. By using a heavy pot and cooking the chili in the oven, you’ll be using gentle heat, which will ensure none of the spices will burn. VERY important! The Red Lion chili powder listed in the recipe is a must. It is vastly superior to anything you can find in a store and the owner of the company makes the powder from freshly grown chiles on his property.

1.5-2 lbs each beef chuck and pork shoulder, cubed to ½ -1 inch. (You can use all pork or beef if you prefer)
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes
1 med white onion, chopped
7 cloves garlic
1 whole jalapeno 1 bottle beer, preferably dark
1.5 cups water
4 bay leaves
½ cup Red Lion Competition Chili Powder (you can get this online at www.redlionspicyfoods.com
10 chile de arbol, stems and seeds removed
1 tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
I chipotle chile + 1 tsp adobo (Make sure it’s of the canned variety)
Salt to taste
Optional: Cooked Pinto Beans, rinsed and soaked for 10 mins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Blend tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chiles de arbol in blender until smooth.

Brown pork and beef in separate pans, then pour off remaining liquid to reserve for later. Finish browning meat, then deglaze pans with beer.

Add browned meat to your cooking pot, then add tomato and beer/liquid mixture along with jalapeno & bay leaves. Cook covered at 350 for one hour. After one hour, add chili powder, and cook for another 1.5 hours, covered. After 1.5 hours, turn oven down to 300 degrees and salt to taste, then add cumin and coriander and cook uncovered for an additional 30 mins. If you want beans in your chili, this final phase would be a good time to add them. Remove jalapeno and bay leaves before serving.

Serve with grated cheese and chopped onions or scallions.

Pigville Porkers Award Winning Chili
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3078757&postcount=1

4 # ground beef
1 # hot sausage
2 stalks celery
1 green bell pepper
4 onions
1-15 oz can tomato sauce
4-5 cans 16oz cans stewed tomatoes
64 oz v8 juice( spicy if like)
1.5 tsp onion salt
3tsp garlic powder
4 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 stp pepper
1 hot pepper
2 Tbsp red pepper seeds
6 Tbsp chili powder
1 t oregano
1 t brown sugar

In a large skillet, medium heat saute half of beef and half of sausage, drain and place in pot.
REPEAT UNTIL ALL THE MEAT IS BROWNED.

Sweat the Vegtables out in some Evoo and Butter until soft

in large kettle mix tomates, juice, and tomato sauce to the vegtables. then add all the spices. Slowly add meat and stir until blended. Simmer slow and low for 2 hour aprox. until thened and flavors blended.

Wampus's Big Boy Brisket Chili
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2244169&postcount=8

2 lbs smoked brisket point meat, fat trimmed and cubed to about 3/4" (I usually just use the meat from 1 point, but it ends up about 2 lbs +/-)
2 pounds COURSE ground beef chuck (ask your local meat department for "chili" or "course" grind. It's when they run it through the larger plate only)
1 pound bulk country sausage
3 (15 ounce) cans mild chili beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can spicy chili beans
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 green chile peppers, seeded and FINELY chopped (I usually do jalepenos, but have done serranos too)
1 tablespoon bacon bits
4 cubes beef bouillon
1 bottle of dark beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (I usually use Tabasco)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos (optional for serving)
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese (optional for serving)
Sour cream (optional for serving)

Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. I usually slow cook it for AT LEAST 3 hours. Add in brisket meat at VERY END to warm through only (usually last 1/2 hour will do it). If brisket is added too soon, it will crumble and fall apart.
To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
This chili was developed from another recipe that I tweaked here and there enough to call it mine. It's not a HOT chili, but it does have a little back end heat. If you like it hotter, you could leave in the pepper seeds and veins, but my family loves it this way and they don't do HOT, so it's just right for us. My mom even loves it and she is NOT a spicy food person. I think it's got a great balance.

I remembered that l ran across a couple of the Marlboro Cookbooks I got back in the late 70s. They had a few chili recipes. Quick Google search came up with this one. Looks to be a true Texas Red recipe as there are no tomatoes in it.

I'm telling ya.... those Marlboro cookbooks are worth their weight in gold. Great southern recipes. I just posted a potato recipe from one of mine the other day. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301045

At it's most basic chili is just Chile & Meat. Chile Con Carne. Some conquistador meat, wild chiles, some blood of your enemies or water for consistency.

Then along came San Antonio, The World Fair, the Chili Queens, Wolf Brand etc etc etc. The first cow didn't show up until 1600's so before that it was deer, dog, antelope, bison and enemy meat. Ancient American veggies were corn, beans and squash. Guessing some of that found it's way into the cauldron too. Mesquite bean flour was huge.

I admire folks that take the time to make the multi ingredient multi dump competition Chili. My attention span isn't that long. I'm also impressed by folks that can take a set amount of Chili Powder, add to a pound or two of ground beef and use coffee, water or beer to obtain the consistency you want. Bolners Fiesta Chili as well as just about any Taco Seasoning work great. To thin add masa or corn meal too thick add liquid.

Lots of great recipes but meat, seasoning and liquid can be pretty good as well

Last edited:
Where do I get a Marlboro chili kettle???

I think those have gone the way of the DoDo bird. If I recall, it was one of the items you could get when they ran their promotions to get you to smoke more cigarettes. You needed to save the side panel off of each pack of cigs, save em up then you could send away and get free merchandise from their current catalog. Actually, I think the cookbooks we're in the catalog as well, you couldn't buy them. I think they ran three, maybe four separate promotions.

Marlboro Miles promotion ran for many years with different themes i.e. Country Store,
Cowboy, Trains and several others.
I have a closet full of their stuff and it wasn't junk. Quality items. I still wear the denim
jacket and use several other things I got from them. (cough, cough)

Previously from the BBQ-Brethren

Chili Queen Chili Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3091711&postcount=44

This is, according to the legend, one of San Antonio chili queen's original recipe circa 1885.

2 pounds beef, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 pounds pork, cut into ½ inch cubes
¼ cup suet
¼ cup pork fat
3 medium onions, chopped
6 clove garlic, minced
1 quarts water
4 ancho chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
1 serrano chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
6 dried red New Mexican chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
1 tablespoons cumin seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
salt, to taste

Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. Quickly cook in the suet and pork fat, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and sauté until they are tender and limp. Remove all pieces of fat. Add the water to the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.

Grind the chiles in a blender or molcajete. Add to the meat mixture. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises, then serve

This one is more along the lines of the "classic" versions! MEXICAN OREGENO is not what you find at normal grocery stores! It is different from "Italian Oregano".

Tip:

All of those recipes sound good up top. But the trick that helps keep people warm when its cold out is to just chop the jalepenos and leave the stem and seeds.

The spice keeps you warm when cold out. Sometimes we add a little cayenne too.

Nothing like hot chili with jalapeno cornbread and its 40 degrees outside. I crumble the cornbread in my chili. :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting all the different recipes, IamMadMan!

My take: seem like there's a lot of variability in the chili recipes. Which to me means, just chuck whatever broken up bits of protein you have in the pot, add a bunch of seasonings, cook until you think it's ready and enjoy.

Want a Korean flair? Add some gochujang.
Want some African influence? Add some ras el hanut.
Going for an interesting subtle flavor change from the usual? Add in some cinnamon to the spice mix (this is one of my favorite adjustments to basic "chili").

@ elcapitan: Absolutely! Love jalapeno cornbread with chili (or, frankly, just about anything!). I usually grate some pepper jack cheese into my jalapeno cornbread batter. Cheesy, peppery goodness!

Dang it! Now I'm hungry! :mrgreen:

Bruce

Back