Looking for a Propane Torch

I use a MAP torch like halfcocked posted to light charcoal. If I were trying to light logs for a stick burner I’d probably go with a weed burner.
Have to confess that I recently bought a log lighter from Tejas Smokers but not for the smoker (though I intend to use it there as well) but, primarily for my Kettle pizza mod, in progress.

All I can say is: lots of $ just to light a fire. LOL

Indeed. I still do the chimney & dump method for the IVC. I have a short chimney from weber that holds just enough coals to start up a smoker quickly without being a pain to handle.

I have a J George - similar to the one in the OP. Works a charm. I know the weed burners probably pack a bit more power, but I am space constrained in my grilling area and didn't want to find storage for an extra 20lb tank. This is perfect and still gets me going as fast as I could ever really need.

One more follow-up on my Sous-VGun; customer service responded, and after disussing the leak (coming from the barrel) had me try opening and then closing the valve HARD a few times to get the brass to form a bit. It seems to have done the trick.

I still don’t think these are issues I should have been facing, but the vertical bottle attachment/avoiding tripping the check valve *is* discussed in detail in the manual and CS did come through for me, so I’ll change my recommendation from a hard no-buy to “if you buy, RTFM and don’t be surprised if it isn’t perfect even so.”

It’s good to have a searing device between the little Searzall and the huge flame-throwing weed burner again.

This is mine, at home a 20lb tank, camping the 6lb bottle pictured.
Paul B

Attachments

• 20210218_193942.jpg
    20210218_193942.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 45
I lite the smoker with the HF weed burner, which I've had for 5+ yrs, 10-12 pieces of charcoal with splits on top. Only problem with the burner is the ignition button and flame adjustment knob don't work but I use the open/close knob on the tank to regulate.

Bride would probably run and hide if I brought a weed burner into her kitchen zone

Last edited:
Back