Looking for a Propane Torch

Music Junkie

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all,

Now that I am starting to learn a bit more about my IVC, and am pretty sure I want to invest in a propane torch to ease the start up process. I have been using the old fashioned chimney and it works really well, but I see others using their torches, and it does cut that time down a bit more. The attached pic is from a torch I saw on Amazon, but I wasn't sure if something small like this would be worth it, or if I should just go with the bigger torch. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Attachments

• Small Torch.jpg
    Small Torch.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 160
Friend of mine bought that recently to light his BGE with kick ash basket. Loves it

I bought the Burnzomatic kit with yellow cannister. Lights chimney quickly. Anyway he has the one you linked and has nothing but praise. I haven't kept track of the time but I cook often and still on original tank.

I regularly use my camp stove to light the chimney but I have used this torch for lighting my smoker. Should work on the chimney.

Attachments

• Benz.jpg
    Benz.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 151
That one ^^^ has worked well for me for years. If you want a little more power the SUV gun is awesome. I use that most of the time now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That one ^^^ has worked well for me for years. If you want a little more power the SUV gun is awesome. I use that most of the time now

Man, I need a vacation..... I have that little torch at home that I used when I remodeled the bathroom and had to solder the copper fittings. :doh:

I'll give it a go first and see what I think before plopping any more cash down. Sometimes I truly wonder how I'm able to get out of bed and dress myself....:shock:

Thanks guys!

I’ve got a Bernzomatic too - I’ve used it for a few years any time I need a quick flame and it was good while it lasted. The igniter is dead now, though, which seems common from the reviews, along with some safety and warranty issues. I’m not going to spend another 50 bucks on a replacement.

Not as bad as the Sous VGun though, that poorly designed piece of chinese junk *sort of* worked twice (though the valve leaked and couldn’t be shut off as long as it was connected); after 2 uses, it only provides a soft, fluffy pilot-light flame that can’t sear (let alone light charcoal) and gas still flows as soon as it’s connected and can’t be stopped without unscrewing it from the bottle. The bottle stand had to be pried with unholy force to get it to stand up. Useless waste of money.

I use one of these...
Wouldn't trade it.
5144qadNOxL._AC_.jpg

I’ve got a Bernzomatic too - I’ve used it for a few years any time I need a quick flame and it was good while it lasted. The igniter is dead now, though, which seems common from the reviews, along with some safety and warranty issues. I’m not going to spend another 50 bucks on a replacement.

Not as bad as the Sous VGun though, that poorly designed piece of chinese junk *sort of* worked twice (though the valve leaked and couldn’t be shut off as long as it was connected); after 2 uses, it only provides a soft, fluffy pilot-light flame that can’t sear (let alone light charcoal) and gas still flows as soon as it’s connected and can’t be stopped without unscrewing it from the bottle. The bottle stand had to be pried with unholy force to get it to stand up. Useless waste of money.

There was a bad batch of suv gun valves that leaked (one of mine did) and the company sent me two replacement valves. Both of mine work perfectly and I bet I’ve burned through 10-15 propane bottles on them since I’ve had them. I wouldn’t trade them for anything

I have a MapPro torch for my amateur metalworking and it works great for the Egg and Smokey Joe, but I do use my long-barrel weed burner for the drums or a campfire. If I ever need a replacement, Tejas Smokers has the nicest ones I've ever used.

https://tejassmokers.com/Weed-Burner-Torches/39

TIP: If you do go with the weed burner, you can roast your own green chile peppers much better than the rotary basket does. The skin blisters quickly and the flesh stays in perfect condition. Also good for sous vide sear. (turn down the sound before playing)

https://youtu.be/YM7zKx4wEA0

There was a bad batch of suv gun valves that leaked (one of mine did) and the company sent me two replacement valves. Both of mine work perfectly and I bet I’ve burned through 10-15 propane bottles on them since I’ve had them. I wouldn’t trade them for anything

Thanks for pointing that out, I was about to ask for a refund.

I went back to the site and watched the video that shows it only works if you hold the gun vertically when connecting the bottle - that got it to throw a proper flame, but the valve still leaks and I still can’t believe what passes for QC in China let that past (or rather, I wouldn’t be able to believe it if it came from Europe or North America or anyplace besides the country that supplies most of the cheap junk we buy). I sent them a message about my leaky valve, now I’m hoping their customer support is better than their quality control.

I’m revising my review from one star to two lol, pending a resolution.

All I can say is: lots of $ just to light a fire. LOL

Hence trying out the small torch I already have.:becky:

The chimney lights great with just some paper underneath, but I do have to wait a bit longer. Most times it's not an issue, but there are times when I would like to get the pit up to temp a bit faster. :thumb:

I use a MAP torch like halfcocked posted to light charcoal. If I were trying to light logs for a stick burner I’d probably go with a weed burner.

Back