THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

peconomou

Found some matches.
Hi Guys, newbie here. Figured I'd share my first brisket cook, since I havent seen many posts about people doing them on a kettle.

Between beef prices being crazy, and my lack of confidence in my ability/equipment, I've just held off. It took years of BBQ, lots of Butts/Ribs/TriTip/etc before I finally decided its brisket time. I've always had great results so I'm not sure why I was hesitant, I've just read so many horror stories about brisket I didnt want to waste 10 hours on a dry hunk of leather. After finding a prime packer at costco for 3.35/lb I decided to give this 10.35lb (untrimmed) brisket a shot.

Long story short, it turned out amazing. I essentially just followed the Aaron Franklin videos as much as possible. (Did foil other than butcher paper, though). Using the snake method on my kettle I just rotated the grates to keep it off the heat as much as possible. First few hours it sat around 240 degrees, kicking up to as much as 296 when the afternoon wind picked up. Sprayed some water on the coals to bring it back down. My only regret is I didnt go heavy enough on the rub. I know they say to really go liberal with the amount, but I think I held back a little too much. Super Juicy, pulled a part with a little bit of a tug. Ended up taking it off at 205, the flat still didnt seem tender enough for some reason, rested in a cooler for an Hour and 20 mins, ended up being absolutely perfect as far as tender/juicy goes. On the heat for about 9 hours, crutched at 165.

Album:

http://imgur.com/a/mBwQs

Looks great. I haven't tried a brisket yet. Prices are too darn high. looks like you nailed yours!!

If it was not vented after it came off the cooker that would explain why it was a little tough and then perfect after the rest. You got a little bit of carryover cooking. Very nice first brisket.

I'd say you done well, West Coast brother. Good job. Always great to see a kettle being put to good use beyond burgers and dogs. A good cook, continuous heat source and a good piece of meat and you can turn out fantastic food without spending a grand or more on a smoker.

What kind of rub did you use? Anything exotic out there in California?

for your first brisket you did a lot better than most. My first brisket looked like something leftover from the set of saw.....

Thanks guys you're all way too kind. I just used a dalmation (kosher salt/fresh cracked black pepper) rub.

Thanks again, love the happy vibe around here. I guess when everyone loves BBQ kindness is just a natural result.

Very impressive.

My first brisket resulted in meat as chewy as a seat belt, but with half the taste.

Back