Lone Star Vertical Offset an Insulated Cabinet Alternative?

OldGlory

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Hi in another post I am debating Ironsides vs Humphrey’s. As an alternative, how would a LSG vertical smoker with an insulated firebox work as a coal burner? My thoughts were the insulated fire box would allow for a more controlled burn where I could set it and forget it to some extent. In colder weather I could use a welders blanket on the cook box.

I love the idea of a stick burner but there is no way I can stay up all night and tend a fire. I could start with sticks and then switch to charcoal if that would work.

I would stick burn for ribs because that is a shorter cook. I get up at 4:00 am so 4-5 hours in the morning is easy.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for your opinions.

I know ssv3 (Sako) has done charcoal in his with good results. Another option is to cook closer to 300 and cut briskets and butts down to 6-8 hours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sako will say it more elegantly, but I believe he has said that the charcoal basket will give you 4 to 6 hours, but will be inefficient as it eats a lot of charcoal to do that. I think he said two bags?

Since you are already on the LSG site, maybe checkout the Insulated Cabinets. A bag of charcoal will last all night, and you can up your wood chunk ration if you like it smokier.

I wanted an offset. Then realized I didn't want to babysit my smoker.

I was about to do a Humprhey's cabinet but through seriously obsessive research ended up with a LSG PeeWee. Absolutely LOVE it.

TXN, I felt the same. But unfortunately, I didn't make the realization until I already had bought the stick burner. Look up threads I started and you can laugh at me over the trials I went through to sell and ship a 1700 monster smoker...

I can laugh now. Sorta. Between tears. Excuse me. Need to step away...

Hi in another post I am debating Ironsides vs Humphrey’s. As an alternative, how would a LSG vertical smoker with an insulated firebox work as a coal burner? My thoughts were the insulated fire box would allow for a more controlled burn where I could set it and forget it to some extent. In colder weather I could use a welders blanket on the cook box.

I love the idea of a stick burner but there is no way I can stay up all night and tend a fire. I could start with sticks and then switch to charcoal if that would work.

I would stick burn for ribs because that is a shorter cook. I get up at 4:00 am so 4-5 hours in the morning is easy.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for your opinions.

I'll make this short and sweet, save yourself the trouble and skip the stick burner. For the record, I love my stick burner and hands down the best bbq comes off of it. Even with an insulated fb, stick burners require attention. Insulated fb's don't make sticks burn any slower (well maybe a little) but not by much. Insulated fb's are more for colder climates to retain heat and keep kids from burning themselves etc.

As for charcoal in a basket, you'll burn through a lot of charcoal and it'll still require attn but considerably less than burning sticks. I used the charcoal basket a few times and while it's works I prefer to burn sticks in a stick burner as intended. More BTU's and a lot more efficient fuel usage. Plus you can't beat flavor or real wood. My 2 cents.

I used a bag and a half of 18.6 KComp briqs. It's a bigass smoker so it takes time to warm up all the steel. Better to start with sticks to warm it up then toss in the charcoal basket.

5vZ4BGKh.png

Last edited:
I say buy a less expensive small to med insulated charcoal cabinet smoker AND a mid grade stickburner..........

Like a Humphrey’s Weekender or Long Weekender AND an Old Country Smokehouse........ :heh:

I say buy a less expensive small to med insulated charcoal cabinet smoker AND a mid grade stickburner..........

Like a Humphrey’s Weekender or Long Weekender AND an Old Country Smokehouse........ :heh:

I did that...sort of.

I down graded my order from the LSG Mini to the LSG PeeWee (which meets all my cooking size needs) AND with the money saved ordered an Assassin 48 grill/Smoker!!!!!

Would I have liked the larger size of the Mini? Sure. But the price difference wasn't worth it and I love how efficient the PeeWee is to get going - I swear I use it more for that very reason.

Thanks guys I love the nostalgia and cool factor of a stick burner but you are right I don't have the time to babysit a smoker right now. I am trying to make a stick burner do something it wasn't designed to do. Reality check appreciated.

Thanks guys I love the nostalgia and cool factor of a stick burner but you are right I don't have the time to babysit a smoker right now. I am trying to make a stick burner do something it wasn't designed to do. Reality check appreciated.

:thumb:

In today's bbq market there is a cooker for everyone's needs so you have plenty of choices still. Good luck on the hunt. It's always exciting.

Just an observation, I see the OP is in MA. Cold temps alot of the year. I would go insulated for sure as down here our 1st 100*F are free for a large portion of the year. Just my .02.

Based on where you live and what you were looking at in your other post I would go with the LSG Mini IVS. Won’t have a problem cooking all year and if you want to cook overnight you can get some sleep.

Back