THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a cleaner that works good on stainless steel that should keep the doors clean. I use it on my current cabinet smoker and plan on using it on my LSG cabinet.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BYDGIW/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com - Enforcer 32 Oz Zep Fast 505 Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser ZU50532 - Floor Cleaners@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QTf86jJGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41QTf86jJGL[/ame]

Guys I am so glad I came across this thread. Anticipating the arrival of my LSIS I had been looking for any type of post about my insulated vertical smoker and I couldn't find anything. Last night I was about to go to bed and I tried a different search and came across this thread. After I read through it, it glad to know that everyone has experienced the same issues I had. I was almost at the point that I had made a $$$ mistake in purchasing this smoker. I was upgrading from a baby Stumps smoker and although it wasn't a water smoker, controlling the temp was easy.

Guys this is the problem I was having. When I first got my smoker and seasoned it, I did not use my guru and it held temp well and I was able to raise it to 250-275 easily. However on my first cook, I had issues. My guru and teltru thermometer was off by 20+ degrees. I didn't know which thermometer to believe. Not until I bought a oven thermometer to place on my grates was I convinced that the guru was off. I am running my guru with with a 10cfm fan. I see that you guys was having no issues with the guru. Why was I having issues? I went through 20lbs of charcoal quickly and my guru was constantly stoking. I have so much to talk about and I don't want to be all over the place so let's start with this post. Guys I am happy to have found you!

Did you make sure your probe to your guru is accurate?

I switched to foil pans after taking Myron Mixon's cooking class in 2004. I empty the water pan after taking the food off and let it dry out while the fire burns down. There is no cleanup necessary in the cooking chamber after a cook. The water pan is dry and without grease. The grates don't even need a wire brush. All you need to do is spray the water pan with Pam spray. The only cleanup necessary is to empty the ashes and spray the fire chamber with Pam spray.

I would be concerned about the bark being even using foil pans without flipping meats (not a fan of touching the food before wrapping). Also, can you find pans that fit 18 to 20lb briskets? How big are those pans? Everyone says "full size", but never quote the dimensions. I have foil pans, but i am sure they are not that big...

Do you really get the same results using foil pans? I am not willing to try this on $100 prime brisket and be disappointed with the results...

Last edited:
Do your meats come out with even colored bark without flipping? I have been meaning to try pans but forget every time. Does anybody else spray their fire chamber with Pam and if so, how often?

I spray my fire chamber, the door, and bottom side of the water pan after every cook, and before every cook. I believe this will preserve the area from rusting, and help its longevity. I also spray down the charcoal box and the ash pan as well.

Guys I am so glad I came across this thread. Anticipating the arrival of my LSIS I had been looking for any type of post about my insulated vertical smoker and I couldn't find anything. Last night I was about to go to bed and I tried a different search and came across this thread. After I read through it, it glad to know that everyone has experienced the same issues I had. I was almost at the point that I had made a $$$ mistake in purchasing this smoker. I was upgrading from a baby Stumps smoker and although it wasn't a water smoker, controlling the temp was easy.

Guys this is the problem I was having. When I first got my smoker and seasoned it, I did not use my guru and it held temp well and I was able to raise it to 250-275 easily. However on my first cook, I had issues. My guru and teltru thermometer was off by 20+ degrees. I didn't know which thermometer to believe. Not until I bought a oven thermometer to place on my grates was I convinced that the guru was off. I am running my guru with with a 10cfm fan. I see that you guys was having no issues with the guru. Why was I having issues? I went through 20lbs of charcoal quickly and my guru was constantly stoking. I have so much to talk about and I don't want to be all over the place so let's start with this post. Guys I am happy to have found you!

Very nice custom work on your smoker...

Sounds like your guru probe is malfunctioning. Also, I highly recommend you upgrade to the 25CFM fan. The fan you are using will never keep up...Chris also suggested to use the 25CFM fan on the Guru.

I have been lighting just the corner of the firebox (minion style), and letting the Guru stoke the fire when its 100 degrees away from my target of 225. I have been successful 2 cooks in a row so far (no overshooting), and its been holding temps for over 24hours flawlessly.

I ordered another temp probe last night for my guru. I never had any problems with my guru in the past and never doubted the temp. I was torn between the Tel-tru and the guru. I hope that's the issue (probe). I will eventually upgrade to the 25cfm fan. However aren't people being somewhat successful with the 10cfm fan?

Also let me say this. I scrape my water pan clean after each use as if it was a pan or pot you use for cooking and I finish just the water pan off with Easy Off. When I scape the water pan, there's a buildup I am scraping. If I run water in it and drain it, it is clear? Is that how your water looks or do you just add water to your water pan without any pre-cleaning? I just figured I wouldn't want dirty, greasy water keeping my meat moist or is that my OCD?

Are your stains permanent? I asked Chris if my door could be painted a solid color like on my stumps. If the door ever becomes unsightly, I may look into getting the entire smoker painted.

stains looks cleaner than the rest of the door. Like the food etched into the steel to make it super bright. Still looks good with Windex and some elbow grease. Only food oils in the inside to clean.

Also let me say this. I scrape my water pan clean after each use as if it was a pan or pot you use for cooking and I finish just the water pan off with Easy Off. When I scape the water pan, there's a buildup I am scraping. If I run water in it and drain it, it is clear? Is that how your water looks or do you just add water to your water pan without any pre-cleaning? I just figured I wouldn't want dirty, greasy water keeping my meat moist or is that my OCD?

I am very OCD about the water pan as well. I scrape the hell out of the water pan and its side walls with a putty knife, and flush it out with boiling water until its clear, then spray it down with Pam.

To me as long as there are no foreign/dirty contaminants, I am good. The grease in water doesn't really bother me during the cook, its just rendered fat, and there's really nothing wrong with that...

I ordered another temp probe last night for my guru. I never had any problems with my guru in the past and never doubted the temp. I was torn between the Tel-tru and the guru. I hope that's the issue (probe). I will eventually upgrade to the 25cfm fan. However aren't people being somewhat successful with the 10cfm fan?

10 cfm fan will work if that's what you have already, the 10 cfm shouldn't have trouble maintaining temp it just lags behind getting it there and recovering from opening doors. Remember that the temp probes only read the temp exactly where they are placed (that being said there should not be close to a 25 degree differential in this smoker so one is likely off a little, I have had guru probes go bad same as meat probes. You can verify it accuracy by checking in boiling water, it should read very close to 212). As mention food chamber shouldnt need much cleaning aside from occasionally wire brushing off the grates, I recommend spraying the water pan and fire box area every time your done with some type of cooking oil. This will protect it and keep it from rusting same as a cast iron skillet.

Thanks
Chris

I would concerned about the bark being even using foil pans without flipping meats (not a fan of touching the food before wrapping). Also, can you find pans that fit 18 to 20lb briskets? How big are those pans? Everyone says "full size", but never quote the dimensions. I have foil pans, but i am sure they are not that big...

Do you really get the same results using foil pans? I am not willing to try this on $100 prime brisket and be disappointed with the results...

Full size pans are supposed to be 12x20 but most advertise 12.75x20.75. Measure your brisket. It may be a tight fit but they shrink a lot.

I was about to say we sure do have some OCD cookers on this thread. :laugh:

I am glad to have some OCD Brethren! Just got off the phone with Chris. Ready for my next cook. Should have everything by Thursday. Also found out some user errors about myself in my last cook. I have to say that although I had temp issues...not really issues, I was already smoking at 230 I want to get to 250 and it was hard to do it with water in my pan. My error was I didn't have the air drawing efficiently. My damper on the smoke stack wasn't all the way open. This next cook is going to be great.

I am glad to have some OCD Brethren! Just got off the phone with Chris. Ready for my next cook. Should have everything by Thursday. Also found out some user errors about myself in my last cook. I have to say that although I had temp issues...not really issues, I was already smoking at 230 I want to get to 250 and it was hard to do it with water in my pan. My error was I didn't have the air drawing efficiently. My damper on the smoke stack wasn't all the way open. This next cook is going to be great.

Anything to share to help some others with their pits or those waiting on one, like myself?

Here's a cleaner that works good on stainless steel that should keep the doors clean. I use it on my current cabinet smoker and plan on using it on my LSG cabinet.

Amazon.com - Enforcer 32 Oz Zep Fast 505 Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser ZU50532 - Floor Cleaners

This is messed up! :shock: I clicked the link you provided and noticed the price was $12.26. Not too shabby. But then I noticed a link for a gallon sized bottle. I was curious so I clicked it. The price was $7.12. Am I missing something? Twice as much for $5.14 less? :confused: This will be a tuff choice to make! :drama:

This is messed up! :shock: I clicked the link you provided and noticed the price was $12.26. Not too shabby. But then I noticed a link for a gallon sized bottle. I was curious so I clicked it. The price was $7.12. Am I missing something? Twice as much for $5.14 less? :confused: This will be a tuff choice to make! :drama:

You got me, but I went ahead and ordered a gallon before it could change.:wink:

I use two large foil pans under my bottom rack. It's a pretty tight fit, but it works. There is still room for water (as needed). I gave my LSGVIC a good cleaning last week, and the water pan only had a small amount of grease in the bottom. A quick scape and a spray of Pam and I was back in business!

i think it would work great to weld up a removable water pan that drops inside the existing one and just have a hole in it lined up with the fill hole so u can still use that feature. Then when it cools u can remove the water pan and let it soak and scrub on it easier

My wife said try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Windex to clean the grease off your SS doors. They make an outdoor magic eraser. I have no idea but she swears by those things to get statins out of any hard surface.

Back