THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In my experience it's far from an idea to have even temps from top to bottom grates, it's a simple fact. My cook chamber is 42" tall x 36" wide x 24" deep and I can get zero degree differential in temps from rack to rack if I want. I can also create hot zones either on the top portion of the chamber or the bottom portion. You asked a question you then question my answer with " where does everyone get this idea that reverse flow produces even temps across the grate"? I guess it all depends on the quality of design and the builder of said pit. In my opinion there's a few high quality cabinet builders out there but your mind appears to have been made long before you asked the question. So my question is, why did you bother to ask?

Clearly you are a very happy, well-adjusted individual. Good luck with your new sales gig.

Last edited:
My question was rhetorical. Nothing in my original post should have prompted a response steering me to a competitor...unless, of course, you have some vested interest in that competitor or some sort of axe to grind.

You came into an LSG thread trying to sell another brand...fairly transparently. Poor form on your part to begin with. I was ITT for insight into LSG IVC's, not to get pitched on a different brand of smoker. You should take the transparent pimping of a competitor brand to a different thread IMO.

QUOTE=Libertarian;4554915]

Are these LSG cabinets considered the best in class vertical smokers at present? Who else competes with them? .[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to think you're the type that has a selective memory to suit your needs.You asked the question about a competing brand and I answered. I have zero interest in pimping other brands financially or emotionally. It's quite apparent that you didn't like the answer you heard. Are you just a tire kicker here to waste the time of others that are willing to answer your questions?
May I suggest if you couldn't get your Pitmaker or Lang to work out for you perhaps a pellet cooker would suit your needs?

Thanks - I think Large is the only way to go.

Curious, how low could you run this pit for something like, say, smoking fresh sausage? 200? Lower?
I have never tried to cook that low for a long time. It is tough to keep your temps that low and once you get over it, you would almost never get it back down. You would have to start with very few coals lit. Someone has probably done it.

I have never tried to cook that low for a long time. It is tough to keep your temps that low and once you get over it, you would almost never get it back down. You would have to start with very few coals lit. Someone has probably done it.
Yep. You would need a very narrow maze to pull off 200.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Does anyone use the sausage hangers here? They aren't listed as an option, but sounds like plenty of folks have added them. I plan to add them. Just wondering about results when smoking fresh sausage.

Well the wait's almost over for me. Got my fabrication email on Feb 3rd, it's March 2nd and they usually take about a month.

It's been a whirlwind of smokers for me past few months... I had this weber pellet that kept giving me problems, it finally died on me. Total PoS but to be fair Weber did make it right.

So I went and got a pitbarrel, those things are hilarious huh? Great for chicken and ribs. Not so great for large cuts.

Came up on a nice MattsBBQ stick burner, wasn't really in the market but I ran into this guy that was moving out of the state and he made me a deal I couldn't pass up.

And now any day Amber or Chris will call and I'll have gone from 1 pellet smoker, to having no smokers, to having 3 smokers. :D

FWIW I ordered Oct 1st with a 16 week lead time, went into fabrication Feb 3rd, picked up any day now.

Just received my build email. Large IVS on cart with Offroad Package. Grabbed most of the options as well.

Now to find a decent handheld winch to make it easier to get in/out of our food trailer.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Took a month about to the day for fab start to finish.

I picked mine up on Friday. I had it in my mind that I was going to be able to grab it with the forklift so I had them throw it in the back of my truck. Turns out that's a real sketchy deal because you have to put the forks super close together.

If you pick it up make sure to have a trailer. I nearly killed myself getting it on the ground.

I did video the ordeal, if you want a good laugh. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtkLJ-rdQE

Took a month about to the day for fab start to finish.

I picked mine up on Friday. I had it in my mind that I was going to be able to grab it with the forklift so I had them throw it in the back of my truck. Turns out that's a real sketchy deal because you have to put the forks super close together.

If you pick it up make sure to have a trailer. I nearly killed myself getting it on the ground.

I did video the ordeal, if you want a good laugh. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtkLJ-rdQE

I'm glad you let it go coming off the trailer!👍

Unicorn

Been reading for years and this is my first post! I just want to thank every Brethen out there. I’ve learned SO much from you guys. Well I found a unicorn and jumped on it. Large IVC with all the added upgrades. Not trying to brag, but for those wishing to find a deal, keep searching and eventually one will pop up! I did have to travel to get it, but when I got home and unload by myself, I knew I found the diamond!! 1200lbs is no joke! Thank everyone, you guys are the best!!

Been reading for years and this is my first post! I just want to thank every Brethen out there. I’ve learned SO much from you guys. Well I found a unicorn and jumped on it. Large IVC with all the added upgrades. Not trying to brag, but for those wishing to find a deal, keep searching and eventually one will pop up! I did have to travel to get it, but when I got home and unload by myself, I knew I found the diamond!! 1200lbs is no joke! Thank everyone, you guys are the best!!

48ec20d549400e89a41810bd4e9d00f8.jpg

LSG insulated smoker

If you bought it preowned, it may be a door gasket that needs to be replaced. If it's new, it most likely is the door latch that needs to be adjusted. You can always call Chris Goodlander and he takes the time to help out.

There seems to be a number of us that are new owners of the Lone Star Grills Vertical Insulated Cabinet, and we all have questions and we push forward with getting aquatinted with our new smoker. A group of us hope to use this thread for Q & A of the next few weeks or so.

I have started my first cook and things are not going as planned. Last week I seasoned the grill and everything did go as planned. No issues, problems or unexpected.

This week, I have added meat (6 racks of St; Louise style ribs) to the scenario, and I am having trouble getting temps over 235. I have both 2" vents wide open and now that I have wood chips inside I am noticing a fair amount of smoke coming out from around the upper door. I did notice that the upper door closes and latches very easy, as the lower door had a touch of cushion as the door latches.

I opened the door and took out a screw driver and moved the latch all the way out and closed the door. The same amount of smoke billows from around the door. I tried again and adjusted the latch almost all the way in. No change. Smoke still billows out from around the door. :confused: I feel this is why temps are not getting up to where they need to be. With the air intake vents all the open I would expect to be well over 300.

The meat has been on for about 1.5 hours now and I fear that the ribs are not going to be right.

Any advice from the group would be greatly appreciated.

Oh hey, I remember this thread! Good to see it get bumped.

Had my IVS for going on a year here soon, first few months weren't pretty, but at this point I've got it producing the best dang BBQ on the planet. :cool:

You won't regret your decision peterm! I mean, maybe you're regret not getting a full sized :wink:

I am excited.
For those who have the mini, what would be good dimensions for a rectangle metal sign, on the side with the pull handle and fold-down table?
Thanks!

Back