THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The t plates are nice to have and cheap. Also the heat diffuser above the firebox is nice as well. I sold my LSG Mini as got a DS GC28 but loved the T plates. I didn't have a cover - kept in garage and detailed when got dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBoq5HXvUPc

Whole case of ribs cook yesterday on my Lonestargrillz IVC Smoker.

12 racks of spare ribs. Some were sweeter rub, some were reg. rub w/ a Sweet Baby Rays sauce, and the others were a reg. rub with Stubbs Original (little spicy) sauce.

Hickory, Mesquite, and Cherry woods used. Meat in at 200* and raised to 225* for the first 2 hours. Then raised to 275-300 for the last hour to crisp up the "Bark". Smoked for 3.5 hours and then wrapped with apple cider vinegar sprayed on them and sauce added (on the ones I did sauce), meat side down and tenderized in the over at 250* for another hour. Then let cool down on the counter.

37CD8366-4A4B-4402-969E-A688D211E706_zpsf6mmvaa9.jpg

C3C477B6-F741-493A-AE0F-E7479D0B8DF6_zpsz6pytp7y.jpg

6FDD15C1-5773-41B5-A9D8-190E414C1AD3_zpsjryin7wu.jpg

8C78432B-111F-4976-B792-C98E7A81003E_zpsd2kucrdy.jpg

Laid out on 3 of my 5 racks inside the Smoker. Placed middle to top of the smoker. Top has most heat build up so I swapped the top and bottom rack on last hour.

6CDB1A60-E3A4-4BF8-9119-AF6F271CB323_zpsg4filh8v.jpg

98639764-DCD8-49DB-B689-29EE60B0D9BE_zpsgowoxgil.jpg

FC9CE955-BB47-4CAA-95DE-FFF72AE0FA7E_zpsmcwqmef1.jpg

wrapped and in the over on 250* for an hour to tenderize (apple cider vinegar spray and sauce added during wrapping.

085773A3-D21A-4122-ACEF-E2DC63E94614_zpsrolydbwo.jpg

Trying out the NO sauce ribs....YUMMMMMMMM!!!!

720A05FB-096D-4ECA-888D-C7DF612AF1B2_zps4kywuofc.jpg

832371EF-3FED-46FC-9886-1915868AC2B6_zpshrup0fcq.jpg

Got a delivery today. Teardown of the crate and muscling this tank into my back yard over pea gravel was a bit of a chore, but well worth it! Can't wait to get her seasoned up and do my first cook.

One thing though, it only came with one 2" ball valve but there are two 2" ball valve ports on the thing. Did I need to order the extra valve or did they forget something? Either way, I can get one at my local hardware store for $50. Or just a cap for the back vent since I won't really be using it.

Attachments

Got a delivery today. Teardown of the crate and muscling this tank into my back yard over pea gravel was a bit of a chore, but well worth it! Can't wait to get her seasoned up and do my first cook.

One thing though, it only came with one 2" ball valve but there are two 2" ball valve ports on the thing. Did I need to order the extra valve or did they forget something? Either way, I can get one at my local hardware store for $50. Or just a cap for the back vent since I won't really be using it.

Saw you on FB too
Very Nice
You can pick another valve, but I only used the one when I start it up.
I put another valve on it, but I picked it up from my Brother, so I didn’t have to buy one. Every once in awhile, I open it up to bring up faster, haven’t noticed that much difference. I’d just put the plug on it and go with the one, save the $50 and buy some meat...

Am going to pick one up next Saturday that is new to me. Anyone have tips for moving it from his backyard, onto my rental trailer? I know they are heavy and have some concern with it, but might just have to have a bigger bowl of cheerios that morning and suck it up.

Am going to pick one up next Saturday that is new to me. Anyone have tips for moving it from his backyard, onto my rental trailer? I know they are heavy and have some concern with it, but might just have to have a bigger bowl of cheerios that morning and suck it up.
I hear some use wide boards. You'll need several to keep putting them in front as you roll

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Abe - Standard issue is only one. I ordered my 2nd with everything else. I like to open both up when I am starting it up. You could just remove the cap and then replace it when you get close to your desired temp. I think I got mine more for looks.

Skylight - I used four 2” X 10” X 10’ boards to move my smokers. Think train tracks. Lay them out push to the second set of boards, move the first set beyond the second set, continue.

Abe - Standard issue is only one. I ordered my 2nd with everything else. I like to open both up when I am starting it up. You could just remove the cap and then replace it when you get close to your desired temp. I think I got mine more for looks.

Skylight - I used four 2” X 10” X 10’ boards to move my smokers. Think train tracks. Lay them out push to the second set of boards, move the first set beyond the second set, continue.

Thanks Thoey - That's my plan!

Doing my first cook tomorrow. Finally! I seasoned her up last night. I can't believe how stable the temp is just using the ball valves. I put about 10lbs of charcoal in, tossed about five lit coals at the beginning of the snake and closed up the firebox. I had both 2" valves wide open until it hit 200 degrees, then closed the back valve and closed down the front valve to about 1/3. I also closed down the chimney a bit. It took about 30 minutes to go from 200-275 and then hovered there with minimal fluctuation for about ten hours. Very impressive.

First cook will be a brisket, pork shoulder, two racks of been chuck ribs, and two racks of pork spares.

Oh, and yeah, totally forgot to order that second ball valve. That was definitely my fault. But I just happened to find a big brass 2" gate valve in my garage. Works great!

I'll be using the T-Plates for my first cook, since the cook will be running from about 8pm Friday night until around 3pm Saturday. Anybody ever have issues with the coals going out as they round the first corner on the T-plates?

Glad to hear you like it.

I have never used my T-plates. I usually just dump a bag of charcoal in, push all the coals to a trail from front left to back left to back right to front right (an upside down U from one side to the other), mix in my wood chunks, and use a weed burner to light the coals in the front left corner. I've cooked for over 18 hours that way and had coal left over. I normally reuse the leftover coal, depending on hold old it was.

LSG Insulated Vertical Smoker on order... question on handle and tie down points

Just wanted to express my thanks to everyone on this forum. I've killed hours here reading and researching. Didn't quite have the budget when I started looking a few years back for a ISV smoker and have been working on my drum smoker skills.

After much research, and final approval from the Mrs last week... I ordered a large LSG insulated vertical smoker today!!!! Build time aprox. 8 weeks. My mouth is already watering!

Options:
- extra rails (x3)
- extra rack (x1)
- 8" wheels
- Flame boss
- Heat diverter plate

The only thing I'm second guessing is the need for tie down hooks and handle. My thought was that if I move it, it's going to be heavily ratcheted anyway and probably two people to move it. Any thoughts and guidance on this is appreciated. I don't plan any competition BBQ or much moving of the smoker this summer/fall, but *if* time is avail, and once I get it dialed in, then perhaps in year 2....

Anyone with experience trying to move the smoker w/o the handle and w/o tie down points welded on?

Any advice is appreciated. I've been told I can add these items to my order as long as I get it modified before they get into the build process too far.

Cheers!

Just wanted to express my thanks to everyone on this forum. I've killed hours here reading and researching. Didn't quite have the budget when I started looking a few years back for a ISV smoker and have been working on my drum smoker skills.

After much research, and final approval from the Mrs last week... I ordered a large LSG insulated vertical smoker today!!!! Build time aprox. 8 weeks. My mouth is already watering!

Options:
- extra rails (x3)
- extra rack (x1)
- 8" wheels
- Flame boss
- Heat diverter plate

The only thing I'm second guessing is the need for tie down hooks and handle. My thought was that if I move it, it's going to be heavily ratcheted anyway and probably two people to move it. Any thoughts and guidance on this is appreciated. I don't plan any competition BBQ or much moving of the smoker this summer/fall, but *if* time is avail, and once I get it dialed in, then perhaps in year 2....

Anyone with experience trying to move the smoker w/o the handle and w/o tie down points welded on?

Any advice is appreciated. I've been told I can add these items to my order as long as I get it modified before they get into the build process too far.

Cheers!
Get the handle. It will be really hard to move without it.

I have a mini that I ordered with a handle on each side. Each time I use the cooker I
am VERY glad that it has 2 handles. At the very least, get one handle.

All my cabinet cookers have handles. Anytime I move them I'm glad I have handles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back