THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I spied these at the local Asian market and had to grab some. Now what? They were sold as "blue crabs" (is that correct?), but the people there couldn't tell me what to do with them. I haven't the foggiest idea!! The bodies are about 5" wide, and the shells are hard.

They're alive (mostly) for now anyways, we'll see by the time I get home. Do I HAVE to clean and/or cook them tonight? I have plans and would LOVE to chuck them in the frig or freezer until tomorrow. Any links to appropriate cleaning and or cooking vids or whatever, would be great. Please, and THANK YOU!!!

1492115462_zpsd9b2rvz9.jpg

1492115053_zpspkqte36j.jpg

A lot of people cook crab whole. I have always cleaned crab before cooking, whether I boil or grill. My suggestion is that you clean the crabs before cooking. By cleaning the crabs, I mean remove the top shell, and remove all of the lungs and guts (deadman). I do this outside with a water hose, pair of cotton gloves and a sturdy, short blade knife (pocket knife works just fine).

the link LYU posted is the pretty much the same as what I do, but here is my method anyway

http://www.ssentinel.com/index.php/rivah/article/the_great_crab_debate_to_clean_now_or_clean_later

1. First step, remove he claws. That way you don't get pinched when removing the sop shell. I like them boiled.
2. Then flip the crab upside down and remove the soft apron or flap with the knife.
3. Remove the top shell. I hold the crap in by right hand, my thumb right under the left point of the top shell. my left thumb is is holding the bottom shell mainly grabbing on to the smaller left legs. carefully pull apart. Don't worry, you will get the hang of it, and how hard to pull.
4. pull the lungs off of the soft inner shell and hose out the guts. Tear off the mouth and eyes.
5. You now have cleaned blue crab bodies. The soft inner shell is perfect for holding the meat on the grill. Season. Brush with butter as you grill. Awesome.

The crabs you have travelled a long way and probably are not long for this world. I would clean them if I were you. You can zip lock them until you cook them. You only have a day or two however. You can also freeze them, but they are better unfrozen to be honest.

My favorite way to eat blue crabs?

1. grilled. Season with Durkees zesty seasoning, old bay, Tony's or whatever you like, grill with a constant basting of butter/lemon/worchestershire mixture with some pecan smoke
2. Sartins BBQ crab style. As LYU linked, it is fried and is delicious. When I was a kid, we road tripped to Sabine Pass once a year for Sartin's BBQ crabs. A real treat. I still make them every year at home
3. Boiled. Especially the claws.
4. Gumbo. Crab bodies mainly flavor the broth. The meat out of the bodies isn't that great. But it isn't that bad either.

Last edited:
Common crustacean here in NJ.

Most people cook them whole and clean as they eat them. I prefer to open them and clean them just before cooking them.

You can clean them, freeze them, and cook at a later date.

Stick the knife into the mouth, rip the top shell off and throw it away. Rinse the bottom and pull out the lung/gill tissue and you are good to go.

Thank you so much everyone. I was afraid that I got in over my head as far as how much time I have available tonight. I gave them to a good friend's family, so they will cook and eat them tonight. I have shared this link with them so say Hi to Thad and Kim! LOL thanks again!

Get a steamer. Fill two inches with water, beer, vinegar (white or cider) and old bay. Wet the crabs in beer and then cover in old bay. Don't be pinched. Steam for 20min (until everything is red). Put on newspaper covered table. Have dull knife, something to hammer with (you probably don't have a crab mallet) and a side of white vinegar. Look for instructions on youtube on how to eat them. Enjoy!

Get a steamer. Fill two inches with water, beer, vinegar (white or cider) and old bay. Wet the crabs in beer and then cover in old bay. Don't be pinched. Steam for 20min (until everything is red). Put on newspaper covered table. Have dull knife, something to hammer with (you probably don't have a crab mallet) and a side of white vinegar. Look for instructions on youtube on how to eat them. Enjoy!

Dang that sounds good. I just found a crab supplier and can't wait to steam a couple of dozen. In the meantime will boil a sack of crawfish tomorrow

Are they open on Sunday? I'm heading back from Madison and would like to get some.

This. And I'd trust someone from Maryland about how to cook crabs!

I'm not sure if they are Norm. It's Hmoob Oriental Market on Sherman Ave. Make sure to ask ahead if they're still alive before you get there. From what I understand, once they die, they're pretty much immediately worthless. Something about releasing a toxin or going rancid very quickly after death, if not cleaned out first. That's just the jist of what I read somewhere, perhaps a knowledgeable farker can chime in.

There's also Seafood Center on Whitney Way in Madison, close to where you head out of town, assuming that you take 151 South outta town towards Dubuque. Shoot me a PM if you need coolers and dry ice. We have thousands of pounds of dry ice at work, and can take whatever we want going into the weekend.

Used to live in Nederland, Tx. We would drive to Sabine Pass to do all you can eat. Incredible stuff. Toast should know...I think.

Yep I take 151 out of town, thanks for the offer of the co2. I've been to the seafood center and they are awesome!

Big pot... Fill with water... Dump n crab boil... Bring to a full boil... Cut lemons in half and put those in along with upside down crab.... Bring back to full boil find then wait 3 minutes... Turn off heat and soak for 10 minutes. Remove crabs.

Bring back to a foil boil... Throw-in small taters corn mushrooms sausage... Enjoy

Back