THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
Right now my Bandera mount trailer is at the side of the house, under the mercy of a flood lamp that is behind me, casting nasty shadows as I stand in front of the cook chamber. Nice to see where I am walking around but I can't see chit in my cooker.

Yesterday I used some LED photography lights and clamped it to the trailer while I worked. But same issue, harsh shadows in the cook chamber unless I use my phone to check the meats. I saw someone post one of those lights/headgear but any other ideas? I almost went out and bought a work light to see what I am doing but there has to be better options out there.

I bought a headlamp on clearance at Academy. It was an older model Princeton Tec. It has a flood and a spotlight option, and allows you to run both at once.

I used it this past weekend for a couple hours on my brisket cook and it was fantastic. You may look dorky, but hands and shadow free is worth it.

I've got a couple of fancy grill lights but most time I just use a headlamp that can adjust downward.

Attachments

• IMG_5520.jpg
    IMG_5520.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 412
I bought these string lights from Costco. They work great.
8d721d933307ed5090c191ba11282643.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokerKing, a brethren, makes a really good light. Puts a lot of light wherever you need and the magnetic base combined with the flexible neck allows it to be placed in some awkward positions if you need to.
2b6a692a2c819cb5c8f94e1f5daefa4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SmokerKing, a brethren, makes a really good light. Puts a lot of light wherever you need and the magnetic base combined with the flexible neck allows it to be placed in some awkward positions if you need to.
2b6a692a2c819cb5c8f94e1f5daefa4f.jpg

Is there a web page for this?

Czar do you have any battery powered tools? Most makers offer work or flood lights that use the same batteries.

Larry

I pretty much used this, but it's rather expensive so I don't want it a part of the set up outside.

41YeZkbMo8L._SL1000_.jpg

My wife picked up to or three Weber-branded lights that have magnetic bases. The head is a cluster of LEDs and on the end of a flexible shaft. The amount of light thrown by one of these is surprising.

Maybe something like this. But you'll need to mount it almost directly over where your head is when checking the pit. Mounted anywhere behind where you stand and you'll get a shadow. Hang it above you and it should cast light into the pit.

Last edited:
Lighting has always been a problem, I'm usually out there with a flashlight in one hand and a beer in the other. How do I check the cooker? I still think we should've evolved with four arms, how handy would that be? :clap2:

in my experience you need a light that you can use at an angle. overhead lighting doesn't always work as it casts shadows into the cook chamber or at least part of the cook chamber. if you have a cabinet type cooker you know what i mean. that's where my SmokerKing Kraken light comes in handy.

This is actually a great topic. My brother just built a cooking area and installed flood light cans with dimmer above and on either side of his green egg as to eliminate shadows. If I ever get to build my area lighting will be another important decision.

So I was grilling tonight, but when i smoke I just roll the smoker over. This works great because I get shade during the day(and here shade is just as important). Solar powered so I don't have to run a cord by the pool.

Smokey

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 43
Back