THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice tutorial Butsz!

I started out with newspapers,then papertowels with some sunflower oil and noww I'm very happy with carton starter cubes,they're very cheap.
In my opinion the newspaper and papertowel give too much ash.

brochure_html_m18f3dd3c.png

I've always just wadded a couple sheets of newspaper up & packed them in the bottom. It lit the charcoal but I'm going to have to try this method & compare. Nice tutorial & thanks for sharing... Cheers!!!

Great tutorial. Seems straightforward, but I do remember when I first received a chimney, I had never heard of such a thing and the instructions were not good enough to get it lit. They said one piece of crumpled newspaper would light it. It didn't!:laugh: I use dang near any paper product handy nowadays. I've even used some cardboard. Getting a long hot burn, and lots of airflow is key (don't pack the paper in).

I learned on this forum what many have already mentioned:

1. Fill chimney halfway or less
2. 1-2 sheets of loosely crumpled newsapaper or weber starter cubes (love these little things)
3. Fire it up
4.Wait until charcoal ashes over
5. Pour right on top of charcoal already in coal basket of UDS. Try to spread evenly for even burn.
6. Add 2-3 fist-sized pieces of wood (depending on length of cook, amount of meat)
7. Put the lid on and start closing off the intakes as the temp starts ramping up.

I have tried different methods of firing up the drum - like getting a big raging fire going with a full chimney and then choking it down - did not work as well as catching the temps on the way up.

Also, if you are using a non-Weber chimney like the one shown in the tutorial, I redommend drilling 4-5 vertical lines of holes along the side of the chimney to improve airflow (and lighting) of charcoal in the chimney.

My $0.02:-D

Lost too many eyebrows with a chimney, Weedburner all the way for me.
Like my weed burner alot but, doesn't always have enough fuel but, if I had the choice, I'd go with the weedburner as well.
Nice tutorial Butsz!

I started out with newspapers,then papertowels with some sunflower oil and noww I'm very happy with carton starter cubes,they're very cheap.
In my opinion the newspaper and papertowel give too much ash.

brochure_html_m18f3dd3c.png
Yep, these little firestarter blocks can be great to use!
Got any hairs left on your arm from dumping that flaming chimney into the drum?
Never had that happen. Then again, I think it comes with only filling the chimney half full when I use this method that keeps it from happening.
I've been known to use my turkey fryer in the past... Only takes about 2-3 minutes....

You and me both brother! There is something about the sound of an F14 taking off that gets my neighbors hearts pumping at 3AM... LOL
Agreed, I too love the sound of the jet taking off.

Not saying that using a chimney is the end all do all for lighting a UDS, just one of the methods and on the upside, I always have charcoal, paper, and oil handy. My propane tank has run out on me before, and when I've gone to the bag of starters it's been empty. So it's always good to have the basics to lean back on in a pinch.

Not saying that using a chimney is the end all do all for lighting a UDS, just one of the methods and on the upside, I always have charcoal, paper, and oil handy. My propane tank has run out on me before, and when I've gone to the bag of starters it's been empty. So it's always good to have the basics to lean back on in a pinch.

Very good point.

Also, to maybe save some others the effort, just throwing a lit starter cube in the charcoal basket did not work (at least not for me). Was at a bbq store some time ago and they were selling these ball-cage type things which were to be used for protecting a lit starter cube placed in a pile of charcoal. I didn't particularly see the point.

Like my weed burner alot but, doesn't always have enough fuel but, if I had the choice, I'd go with the weedburner as well.

Yep, these little firestarter blocks can be great to use!

Never had that happen. Then again, I think it comes with only filling the chimney half full when I use this method that keeps it from happening.

Agreed, I too love the sound of the jet taking off.

Never hurts to have a back up plan. Sometimes a simple explanation or description helps folks who are frustrated. Let me warn those that wear flip flops, be careful when carrying the chimney!:doh:.

Never hurts to have a back up plan. Sometimes a simple explanation or description helps folks who are frustrated. Let me warn those that wear flip flops, be careful when carrying the chimney!:doh:.

I'm with Norco, when you go to a weedburner and learn the basic concept.. It sure works for me!!

I've never tried the oil, always used two crumpled newspapers under and one crumpled paper inside with the charcol on top of that. Time to see if an old Dog can learn new tricks I guess.

I like to use old charcoal bags. The little bit of wax they use to waterproof them does the same thing as the oil on the paper towels.

Nice tutorial.

Chimneys work nicely, but I've gotten lazy and started using the Weber cubes. They light VERY easily and are super simple (no chimney required)

I think I pay about $3.50 for a standard pack of 24 (not free, but it ain't gonna break the bank and I don't have to fuss with the paper, oil, chimney, transferring the coals, etc.)

I use a chimney starter with a Weber cube under it. We have wind issues here in North Texas, so if I use paper, I send small bits of paper ash into my neighbor's yards. That ain't cool.

CD

Got any hairs left on your arm from dumping that flaming chimney into the drum?

I bought a pair of welders gloves at Home Depot. They cover my arms up to near my elbows. They are great for this task, and a lot of other BBQ and campfire tasks.

CD

Back