THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks, I wish I would have seen this before I started tonight's cook. If you load the egg with large and medium lump what do you do with the other half of the bag?

Thanks again for directing me to this, I will bookmark it.

Larry

i use small lump pieces in the mini egg, the pieces quarter size and smaller and the dust get tossed. you can add small pieces to the outer ring of the lump pile just keep the middle filled with medium and large pieces to get the core of the fire nice and hot with better airflow.

Why wait to add the wood?

Could you not add it at the sane time as the lump?

Curious minds want to know...:-D

that's a good question. it's just the way i've evolved into doing it, i reckon. you can add it in the beginning and i do when using hickory chunks buried in the lump. i add wood chips after the lump has had a chance to get going well and the ceramic mass has heated up and stabilized at the target temperature. adding the chips after the fire gets established lets me stir the pile and distribute chips into the lump a little bit. if you add the chips at the very beginning, they will be half gone by the time you but on the meat and that's a waste of sweet blue smoke. :biggrin:

Thank you very much for this Rick. As the lady said we just picked up a Kamado. Can't wait to try it out and now we don't have to worry about the learning curve inferno. :lol:

rtm
:biggrin:

Where'd you get the nice, big, round drip pan? I've looked around locally but struck out. I've been taking a half pan and stretching it out since I always have a ton of them on hand.

Thanks for both pictorials!

Where'd you get the nice, big, round drip pan? I've looked around locally but struck out. I've been taking a half pan and stretching it out since I always have a ton of them on hand.

Thanks for both pictorials!

that's an aluminum pizza pan from kroger's. they come in a three pack

Like the others have said, great tutorial on Egg startup. I don't own a ceramic yet, but I will be digging this one out of the archives when I do get one. Thanks, Rick!!

I don't know anything about an egg and prolly never own one. But Rick you should be the egg spokesperson instead of that Dr BBQ guy

Very intereting..a bit more to it than I would have thought. But then again I don't own one, so some of it is lost on me.

Great write up! Now, where's the pic of the meat? ;)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68796

turkeywingsII-031.jpg

Back