THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Hi!

On November 23rd members of the Brethren, families and friends will be assembling 50 Thanksgiving family meals for at-risk/homeless veterans and families dealing w/ breast cancer. This is our 5th year doing this and it grows in scope every year. Our goal is to provide one day where the recipients can relax and enjoy a day of bounty with family. It is tremendously sad that we've later found out on numerous occasions and in numerous years that this was the last holiday meal that a family had together.

We could use your help.

Here is how it works: Each volunteer makes a bunch of something. It may be 7 quarts of peas, 5 smoked turkeys, 4 dozen cookies, 8 quarts of carrots, whatever.

They take the item that they made to a hall on Deer Park Ave (exit 51 on the LIE) where the items are grouped by category (all the peas together, all the stuffing together, etc.) and the items are broken down into quarts and then are arrayed into family meals (each meal last year consisted of a smoked turkey, 6 quarts of side dishes, 3 appetizers and 3 desserts).

The meals are then delivered to those in need by volunteers from the charities. The families just need to reheat the food the next day (Thanksgiving) and they are good to go.

Here is the Facebook event page for what we are doing: https://www.facebook.com/events/187979548212469/

Here are some photos from last year:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207804733347336&type=1&l=a9b6fe85fa

Thanks!

Eric

I can't be there but I can send some$$$$ pm me let me know wha to do..... I'm all about our law enforcement and veterans....

Thank you Paul, but we don't really have a need for money. If that changes, I'll let you know.

I appreciate your big heart brother.

Eric

Hey Eric. John from Struggletown... I'm in. Looking forward to helping out. I went to the page and clicked that I'm going. Let me know what I can do to help!

Thanks, John. We could definitely use the help.

Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving type dish that you'd like to make? We are looking good so far on mashed potatoes and stuffing. Maybe carrots or peas or greenbeans?

Eric

This is where we are at currently (but we are still early in the game). We need enough of these items to feed 50 families.

Turkeys - Phil

Gravy
Stuffing - @Jim Lester (4 1/2 trays), Chris Almeida, Willie, Vincent (1 tray)
Mashed potatoes - Patrick, Phil, Gregory, Jonathan (2 trays)
Mac and cheese - Andrew, Mike
Green beans (regular or casserole) - John (2 trays)
Corn
Yams (plain or casserole)
Cranberry sauce/compote - Allison Devlin Saber, Alison Feuer Pascuzzi, Diane Fuller (25 cans)
Brussell sprouts
Peas

Crackers
Cheese - Sue (pinecones)
Nuts
Chips
Spread/dip

Cakes - Robert (10)
Cookies - Reilley Sandoval (6 dozen)
Pies - Santa (sweet potato)
Brownies - Greg Barry

Apple juice