Let's talk pizza ovens

So I use my hasty bake and several on the FB group have as well. We cook the pizza on a wire mesh rack for around 8 minutes. Then we use the deflector shield and put it below the coals and put the pizza on that. Since the pizza is below the coals it basically broils/chars the pizza. It’s amazing.

You mean just on a gas grill or is it a pellet grill?

Oh really? Bummer I was hoping it would be close. Were the pizzas decent at least?

I found it was really hard to get consistent heat on the stone and over the pie. Pizzas would turn out burned on top and raw underneath. Also, I’ve read on many sites that the heat where wood ovens operate is so high (850F+) that it contributes no flavor. It’s just a heat source at that point. I find the stability and ease of the Koda (gas) to make pizza night much easier and enjoyable. I can focus on the pies and turning them at the right time vs making sure my heat is consistent.

I have a Pizzacraft PizzaQue. Works good for me. $62.00 new in the box off ebay couple of years ago.

I have a Pizzacraft PizzaQue. Works good for me. $62.00 new in the box off ebay couple of years ago.

I've seen those too, the pizzas that come out of them look pretty legit. They don't make them anymore, so the price has doubled.

I end up stacking the charcoal and wood in a C pattern opposite the lid opening and keeping the stone close to the lid opening. The 26 in weber kettle works great for this. I make sure to preheat the stone 15 - 20 min and I aim for temps of 800+ deg F. Lid vent closed and bottom vents wide open. The cook time is about 6-8 min. I find that letting the dough sit in the fridge for 2 - 3 days makes the result so much better the just one day.

Don't know about the ooni or even the Q. I just cut a sufficient hole in my extra 22" Kettle lid and let it rip. The only thing is that it will take 8-10 minutes to turn out a pie. I don't mind that, they turn out perfect and none of it is burned. Best of all, it cost me next to nothing and everyone loves the results.

Attachments

• Ribs 1.jpg
    Ribs 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 187
Ooni Koda will hit stone temp of 900F. At that temp, pizzas are done in 60-90 secs. You definitely need to watch it and turn. My wife and kids make the pizzas and then bring them out on another wood peel (I have 2). I launch with the wood and turn with the aluminum one. We typically make a few 10-12” pies and they’re done quick. For pizzas with more toppings, I will sometimes “roof them”, hold them up with the peel toward the Koda ceiling/roof to char the toppings. Takes seconds at that heat.

I end up stacking the charcoal and wood in a C pattern opposite the lid opening and keeping the stone close to the lid opening. The 26 in weber kettle works great for this. I make sure to preheat the stone 15 - 20 min and I aim for temps of 800+ deg F. Lid vent closed and bottom vents wide open. The cook time is about 6-8 min. I find that letting the dough sit in the fridge for 2 - 3 days makes the result so much better the just one day.

Which one do you have?

Can you cool anything besides pizza in the Roccbox?
I use it as a salamander or to do steaks on my cast iron. That top sear does wonders! And it comes with propane or a wood chunk attachment. I use propane most days. Turn it on while I prep. 900+ in thirty minutes.

And available at William Sonoma.

I like my Blackstone. It can easily hit a stone temp of 900 degrees and the flame wraps around the dome to cook the top of the pizza as well. I’ve pretty much stopped using it, however since I switched to eating grain-free a couple of years ago and haven’t four a grain free dough recipe that can be worked like a normal dough.

Wow, I had mine for sale on Facebook and Craigslist for a month for $100 obo and nobody wanted it. I ended up taking it to the dump. Weird how regional things are, or just luck of the draw I guess??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why would you throw it in the dump?

There is a bookface site for them and they are sought after big-time from what I see.

I have had one about 4 years and works great.

Last edited:
No kit, just a hole cut in a spare lid. It keeps the lid closer to deflect the heat on the top of the pizza, then The kettle pizza kit that is sold.

I bought a used blackstone on C/L for $50..well worth it. Only used twice...1st time great..2nd...didnt want to come up to temp. Then I read there is a trick where you dont open the valve up all the way or it wont come to temp. I havent tried it again yet.

The PizzaQue just arrived today, Kettle Pizza comes in a few days...gonna give them the back-to-back test!

I bought a used blackstone on C/L for $50..well worth it. Only used twice...1st time great..2nd...didnt want to come up to temp. Then I read there is a trick where you dont open the valve up all the way or it wont come to temp. I havent tried it again yet.

There is also a valve on the hose, open that one between 3/4 to 1 turn.

On the griddles you have to open the gas slow or you don't get a good flame.

Back