THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

worktogthr

Full Fledged Farker
Hi All,

Many times throughout the year I do charity and veteran outreach events with the BBQ Brethren here on Long Island. I am often tasked with making between 30-100 lbs. of sausage for events throughout the year. Pretty tough task with my 5lb. LEM manual stuffer. So I have a few questions for anyone who has this sausage stuffer or something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products...536754888&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1

1. Does it seem to be well made? Will the motor crap out on me?
2. Does it stuff relatively fast? With my 5 lb. I can crank out sausage at a pretty quick speed
3. Does the foot pedal have a long enough cord that it can be used on a high counter?
4. In case the motor did crap out, is it possible for one person to crank and stuff manually?

Thanks so much for any input you have. Its a big a investment but if it will last I'm all for the buy once, cry once.

-

Subscribed. Was just looking at that yesterday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Look into water stuffer. You can make one super cheap or buy a little one fairly inexpensive. We have one that does 100 lbs at a time but it is an expensive commercial unit that might be a little overkill. Just google water power sausage stuffer.

The foot pedal would be real nice if you are trying to stuff by yourself but they are pretty proud of it.

I have the large LEM manual, I think it is 10 pounds. Works great and best if the person cranking it can keep an even speed.

I thought about it until I saw the price back in the day. For $200 I got a 15lb crank and love it. I clamp it down and can easily (after practice) keep it going by myself. But I've bought other random expensive things so if you have the coin go for it :-D.

Downside is overall cost and more moving parts (expensive parts) that could break.

Earlier this summer I picked one up on clearance at the local Fleetfarm...that and a big bite 22 grinder. I stuffed 40 pounds of snow goose sticks solo with no problems whatever. I added a touch bit more water and filled 19mm casings with no problems. Threw them in a 40" master built smoker with a auber PID controller and they turned out great. Looking forward to many years of use with with it/them. Just remember to get the food grade silicon sprays and lubricants.

It's built well, pretty sturdy for home use.

Look into water stuffer. You can make one super cheap or buy a little one fairly inexpensive. We have one that does 100 lbs at a time but it is an expensive commercial unit that might be a little overkill. Just google water power sausage stuffer.

I had one.Loved it.Loaned it to a friend.He destroyed it.I lost a good stuffer and a "so-called" friend.I just have a regular stuffer now.I forget what mine was but it was pricey when I bought it.Just looked it up.Dahkota stuffer.Awesome.Go as fast or slow as you want to.

I watched a video of a guy using one. It didn't seem any faster than my Lem 15#. As said before, with a little practice, a clamped down hand crank is easy by yourself.
I have made many 100# and larger batches and the 15#er works great for me.

I am also looking to upgrade to the LEM 20lb electric from 15Lb crank. It is a big investment but trying to stuff alone is doable but really problematic especially with snack sticks.

Definitely interesting in opinions of folks that have crossed from crank to manual.

I have posted this question on a few forums and facebook pages and everyone who has it loves it but a lot of guys seem loyal to the hand cranking. My experience when I ordered a 20lb hand crank model is that it was nearly impossible to crank and stuff quickly and stuff well while doing it solo. A lot of guys with the big manual units are getting help. I am almost always stuffing on my own. It is pricey, but if it works, I have spent money on stupider things in my life and it will save me time. I am getting ready to pull the trigger as it seems to be on sale on amazon right now. Just afraid how my wife is going to retaliate...meaning what is she going to buy hahaha. Doesn't help that I just got my Shirley this summer too! hahaha

The foot pedal would be real nice if you are trying to stuff by yourself but they are pretty proud of it.

I have the large LEM manual, I think it is 10 pounds. Works great and best if the person cranking it can keep an even speed.

Correction
My grinder and mixer are LEM and the 15# stuffer is Weston

If I was doing a lot by myself, I would go electric also

Back