Leg of lamb question?

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
I have done lamb shoulder on my UDS several times and family (who normally are not lamb fans) like it. (Pulled)

Planning on a leg of lamb Sunday (bone in) but I am wondering about how to go about it. Here’s my question. Most suggestions on the web suggest aiming for 140-145 IT and treating it kind of like a lean beef roast. But there a a fair number of recipes and videos online where they take it up to pulled temps. I was thinking smoking at 250 ish with oak for smoke.

That’s a big difference in plan of attack. Anyone take them to the higher temps and happy with it?

Love the idea as the bark that comes along with taking the meat to pull temp is always great but unsure if the rear leg can take it without drying out.

Thanks

I prefer to treat it like roast beef, not pulled temps, medium rare to medium. I don't know that it will hold up to higher temps. Lamb from Australia/New Zealand is grass fed completely and I think wouldn't have enough fat in the leg. But I've never tried it that way.

cykDp0d.jpg

I've cooked a lot of yearling lamb legs and don't like them in the 145° range, or in the 190°+ range which is just shy of pulling.... maybe younger animals are better at 145°. My personal sweet spot is 160°ish. And I inject them 6-8 hours before going on the smoker, and do a wrapped finish. The smoker temp is in the 250° range. You can always cut some samples from the hock end when it's 145° to see how you like that. Here is my injection/spray recipe:

8 – Ounces of beer
1/2 - cup cider vinegar
1/3 – cup water
1/3 – cup apple juice
1 – Tablespoon olive oil
2 – teaspoons toasted onion powder
3 – cloves garlic minced
1 – Tablespoon Worcestershire
1 – teaspoon seasoned salt
1 – teaspoon black pepper
1 – teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used Temper Temper from Penzey’s)

Mix the beer, cider vinegar, apple juice together and taste and adjust (if needed) the cider vinegar & apple juice, or weaken with water to taste. You want this slightly tart. Add other ingredients and heat until dissolved, simmer at least 15 minutes, cool and strain. To avoid cross contamination between the spray and the injection: Reserve in a separate container, some of this mixture to use for spraying during the cook. Use the remainder for the injection. Inject approximately 1 oz. per pound of meat at least 2 hours before cooking. Overnight injection is okay. Do not use as a spray after contact with the injecting needle. I pour some mixture into a plastic cup when injecting to avoid cross contamination.

Thirdeye

Assuming you slice at that temp?
Curious as to what you find at 160 that you prefer vs 145 ish
Some of my family are what i call food cowards
referring to their horror at seeing anything red (pink in reality) in the food they eat so thinking that your plan might help that
Thanks for suggestion

Assuming you slice at that temp?
Curious as to what you find at 160 that you prefer vs 145 ish
Some of my family are what i call food cowards
referring to their horror at seeing anything red (pink in reality) in the food they eat so thinking that your plan might help that
Thanks for suggestion

iDKskAc.jpg

Yes it's sliced, the leg bone is very handy as a handle while they are in the smoker, and when slicing. The 145° has kind of a soft texture with a little chew. And you're right it looks more rare than it really is. At the biggest annual event we're serving 125 to 105 so cook it to a middle-of-the-road temp that will appeal to the most people. It is super juicy. What's funny is that when these lamb barbecue days began, some of the guests raise lamb and beef... several of the wives said they liked our smoked lamb as well as anything they cook. In the last 10 years more and more are getting pellet grills.

That looks excellent

Those legs look amazing in the last pic
Do you have a rough idea on time per lb?

Assuming a bit of a rest before slicing. Just loosely foiled?
Thanks again
Tomorrow is a trial run for easter so would like to nail this down

By the way, we raise these lambs ourselves and they are yearlings so sounds similar

Curious on your side dishes you serve along with as well

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to have it figured out

When it comes to lamb, listen to Titch and Thirdeye. What they have to say is like the 11th and 12th commandments.

American lamb in general is slaughtered at an older age than Australian lamb. As such it's usually more forgiving and has more of a complex flavor. There is no reason why you can't take it up to pulling temp, it's just that if you really want to do that why not stay with a shoulder because between the two, the shoulder will always give you a better result.

Cheers!

B

Those legs look amazing in the last pic
Do you have a rough idea on time per lb?

Assuming a bit of a rest before slicing. Just loosely foiled?
Thanks again
Tomorrow is a trial run for easter so would like to nail this down

By the way, we raise these lambs ourselves and they are yearlings so sounds similar

Curious on your side dishes you serve along with as well

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to have it figured out

Thanks for the kind words. Smoker time is about 5 hours, then foiled tightly and held hot for 3 or 4 more. in 100 quart coolers. These photos are from year 21 of an annual fair and rodeo barbecue, sides are several cold salad options, pasta salads, BBQ beans, and buns if someone wants a sandwich. Also served is pulled pork and sloppy Joes for the kiddies. Oh, and beer.

One that I did here
Don't be shy around lamb, it's a very forgiving meat in my humble opinion
Absolutely. I live in lamb country and some folks are still not comfortable cooking it.

When it comes to lamb, listen to Titch and Thirdeye. What they have to say is like the 11th and 12th commandments.

Oh Brother..... Thanks for the kind words, but I think Titch ranks me. :thumb:

I prefer lamb slow smoked to medium.

This one I made the other day

4ff9ac8717ba4d70c18298113202f05a.jpg

52373dee01d16041af25b302215c2e39.jpg

I love lamb like that at home with a close circle of friends. My loins look similar.
x1SbLqa.jpg

American lamb in general is slaughtered at an older age than Australian lamb. As such it's usually more forgiving and has more of a complex flavor. There is no reason why you can't take it up to pulling temp, it's just that if you really want to do that why not stay with a shoulder because between the two, the shoulder will always give you a better result.

Cheers!

B

This is correct. Our "domestic" lamb are yearlings. These legs are in the 6# range. and a perfect example of what Titch mentioned about being forgiving. These legs were pre Co-Op times. We bought them right off the hoof on Thursday and they went straight to the processor to be cooked on Tuesday.
arU3As7.jpg

ieZh7.jpg

Here is a whole "Wyoming yearling lamb" western cut, meaning a full neck, which is some of my favorite meat.
StZW2x4.jpg

TfOIGie.jpg

And here is a 4-bone rack to compare sizes.
UyY8JNZ.jpg

The knowledge you guys have on lamb is truly impressive. However I did I miss-speak, SirPorkaLot deserves to be in there as well. That last post he made actually had me start a conversation with my wife about buying a lamb at a 4H show in the summer.

And this threat is making me think I need a spring lamb now and the the 4H lamb in the summer.

The knowledge you guys have on lamb is truly impressive. However I did I miss-speak, SirPorkaLot deserves to be in there as well. That last post he made actually had me start a conversation with my wife about buying a lamb at a 4H show in the summer.

And this threat is making me think I need a spring lamb now and the the 4H lamb in the summer.

Thank you but, This site has some amazing Lamb Cooks, You just need to look.
Like I say, So many ways to cook Lamb, its just a user friendly meat.
No one way is the only correct way, just different.
Think I will go cook some Chicken like Marty

Have you been to the Restaurant Depot in Denver? They have lamb and goat.

CuZ58bv.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Smoker time is about 5 hours, then foiled tightly and held hot for 3 or 4 more. in 100 quart coolers. These photos are from year 21 of an annual fair and rodeo barbecue, sides are several cold salad options, pasta salads, BBQ beans, and buns if someone wants a sandwich. Also served is pulled pork and sloppy Joes for the kiddies. Oh, and beer.

Absolutely. I live in lamb country and some folks are still not comfortable cooking it.

I love lamb like that at home with a close circle of friends. My loins look similar.
x1SbLqa.jpg

This is correct. Our "domestic" lamb are yearlings. These legs are in the 6# range. and a perfect example of what Titch mentioned about being forgiving. These legs were pre Co-Op times. We bought them right off the hoof on Thursday and they went straight to the processor to be cooked on Tuesday.
arU3As7.jpg

ieZh7.jpg

Here is a whole "Wyoming yearling lamb" western cut, meaning a full neck, which is some of my favorite meat.
StZW2x4.jpg

TfOIGie.jpg

And here is a 4-bone rack to compare sizes.
UyY8JNZ.jpg

That whole lamb rocks bro. Awesome.

Let's see some mutton posts folks! Done a couple legs and they were awesome.

Back