THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K-JUN

is one Smokin' Farker
I'm cooking up a brisket for my 7 day old grandson well actually for his mom and dad. I have stuff to do around the house so I set up the WSM with my IQ 110 and Maverick 732. I know, I know, you don't really need a temp controller on a WSM. But you don't need a car that goes from 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds but who doesn't like that? I will let you know how things go this evening.

DSC01383.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Just a quick shot of the finished product. A choice 14 lb. full packer. I trimmed off the hard fat but not much more. Salt and pepper rub cooked with Stubbs charcoal and oak chunks. It ran for about 9 hours at 265* and was 205* IT when it probed right. I let it rest about 1 hour wrapped on the counter.

DSC01387.jpg

Just a note on why I don't go by IT temp only. At about the 7.5 hour mark the thermometer was 195*. I thought man that was fast but when I probed it I could see it was nowhere close to being ready. At first I was WTF I know the thermometer was calibrated because I had checked before I started. Well I decided to insert into another location on the flat and right away it went down to 180*. I guess I had it in a fat pocket at first. It took about another 1.5 hours to finish.:blah::blah:
Anyway thanks for looking.

Just a quick shot of the finished product. A choice 14 lb. full packer. I trimmed off the hard fat but not much more. Salt and pepper rub cooked with Stubbs charcoal and oak chunks. It ran for about 9 hours at 265* and was 205* IT when it probed right. I let it rest about 1 hour wrapped on the counter.

DSC01387.jpg

Just a note on why I don't go by IT temp only. At about the 7.5 hour mark the thermometer was 195*. I thought man that was fast but when I probed it I could see it was nowhere close to being ready. At first I was WTF I know the thermometer was calibrated because I had checked before I started. Well I decided to insert into another location on the flat and right away it went down to 180*. I guess I had it in a fat pocket at first. It took about another 1.5 hours to finish.:blah::blah:
Anyway thanks for looking.

Yep. That's called the Stall. Can happen at any IT and more than once depending on conditions. Nice Cook!

Back