Lawry''s----If you know, you know

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Repeating myself but I was I introduced to Lawry''s at a very young age. Served by a nice lady on an aisle end. Ritz cracker topped with cottage cheese dusted with Lawry''s. We always had Lawry''s growing up, I've always had it here at my house. Everything old is new again. This is a screenshot but didn't want to upset the non Facebook Brethren. Search and ye shall find.

Last edited:
I always have Lawry's on hand. A lot of imitators but the the taste of Lawry's is distinct. A little secret is that my proprietary carne asada marinade recipe's main ingredient is Lawry's. :nod:

An excellent sub for Lawry's is RealSalt though. Farkin' great stuff.

please shut it! LOL

Remember my famed tri level rub process included this.

Wait - we never named Lawrys in the "code"

More on Lawreys later -

the famed "stylized" video here.

Rare glimpse of the process - damn my kids were tiny... no music - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJhhnXgJOdc

That binder was called "Grace Jones Rubber Grabber" Now they sell hydrolyzed Molasses and pepper to give a similar effect but I add one more ingredient now days. No you don't need a binder but this was for bark and flavor.

https://youtu.be/lAv7XZRXFAE

be sure and subscribe - there is and will be lots of new content

famed Hot and Fast Weeping ribs method used it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBFZstQRUY&list=PL-FMdthfYNpSrC35gdboeeEgwqGrHtt53&index=2

so the lawreys story. I can still taste the prime rib from Pelicans seafood on the old I 35 restaurant row in Dallas. I fact, the seasoning was the first to hit the market just before wwii and as I recall - the formulation was from THEIR prime rib house. That's all they cooked it in. It was either called the Lawrys Prime Rib house or McCormick Rib house. Anyway war broke out and it wasn't until afterward the product caught on. This will be important later.

So Angelos BBQ - est 1957, camp bowie blvd fort worth texas

One of my favorite places ever - and of course I have been everywhere.

So me and a friend tried to figure out their sauce - may have been milroy, anyway we both agreed that had the best sour sauce (my watering as I speak) and the taste of the brisket was awesome. But how. Of we tried to figure it out, eps. the sauce - i mean many attempts

then one day - drunk and tending a fire - I started telling the history of the place. Angelos got its start selling THE COLDEST beer on tap in BOTH counties. It gets hot and not everyone had AC so to get a cool one ----

The BBQ was originally made and sold to sell more beer. Its worked but soon people begans just getting it from there.

side story = they also used to sell this frozen chili base. you would buy a brick of it - literally the size of a brick - and cook up the meat yourself, and then unwrap and cut off the fat layer. I think they lined a bread pan with butcher paper and poured it in and froze it. then took it out of the mold and wrapped it up. So it would flavor your chili so damn good I heard.

I digress

So in the middle me and whoever this was - drunk - we might have been at the Taylor International - we started thinkin on this - what would have been readily available to a bar in 1957. what were the popular products. two things - one was lawrys season salt. The other was V* juice.

We will hit V* juice first. before mr ts they used V* which has a LOT of carrot juice in it. Carrots REDUCE the heat of the pepper. thereby you can add more black pepper for the earth flavor without the heat.

So the second part - and one of the reasons their brisket and sauce was like - drinkable!!!! was the Lawrys. Mortons season all was not carried in that market as much. They have different flavor that's for sure. Into the sauce base went the degreased drippings. bang you have a flavor that is simple. Oh they added pepper to the Lawreys.

If yall want - and I know I am not popular on here anymore - I can share with you the recipe we derived at for the sauce. It is amazing. And remember, if you add brisket or rub juices from a different recipe it wont be exact but I don't use strickly lawreys so mine is deferent. Let me know. I even think I may have posted a rough recipe on here before but now its better.

If Texas - esp west Texas BBQ sauce is what you hanker for - this is it. Let me know

Repeating myself but I was I introduced to Lawry''s at a very young age. Served by a nice lady on an aisle end. Ritz cracker topped with cottage cheese dusted with Lawry''s. We always had Lawry''s growing up, I've always had it here at my house. Everything old is new again. This is a screenshot but didn't want to upset the non Facebook Brethren. Search and ye shall find.

nixon like either cream cheese or cottage cheese and lawrys on top.

Lawry's has been a staple in our spice cabinet for as long as i can remember. We use it on many different foods great stuff.

I've experimented with it on long cook barbecue but haven't noticed it to make a huge difference on smoked meats. I'm really curious to try the ribs at Goldee's one day when i can finally make it there. Goldee's is pretty open that they are heavy handed with Lawry's on ribs, i would think they would be too salty but the rave reviews prove otherwise.

Little did I know when I took this photo some years ago when we did some minor rehab to our spice cabinet, the photo would serve as a powerful visual testament in April of 2022 to this indispensable seasoning:

We also did it on cottage cheese growing up. And sometimes still do now.

Have also used it on deviled eggs in place of paprika.

Adams, I´ve already bought some seasonings that you recommended and was never disappointed so I´m gonna have to hunt down Lawry´s as well!

so the lawreys story. I can still taste the prime rib from Pelicans seafood on the old I 35 restaurant row in Dallas. I fact, the seasoning was the first to hit the market just before wwii and as I recall - the formulation was from THEIR prime rib house. That's all they cooked it in. It was either called the Lawrys Prime Rib house or McCormick Rib house. Anyway war broke out and it wasn't until afterward the product caught on. This will be important later.

So Angelos BBQ - est 1957, camp bowie blvd fort worth texas

One of my favorite places ever - and of course I have been everywhere.

So me and a friend tried to figure out their sauce - may have been milroy, anyway we both agreed that had the best sour sauce (my watering as I speak) and the taste of the brisket was awesome. But how. Of we tried to figure it out, eps. the sauce - i mean many attempts

then one day - drunk and tending a fire - I started telling the history of the place. Angelos got its start selling THE COLDEST beer on tap in BOTH counties. It gets hot and not everyone had AC so to get a cool one ----

The BBQ was originally made and sold to sell more beer. Its worked but soon people begans just getting it from there.

side story = they also used to sell this frozen chili base. you would buy a brick of it - literally the size of a brick - and cook up the meat yourself, and then unwrap and cut off the fat layer. I think they lined a bread pan with butcher paper and poured it in and froze it. then took it out of the mold and wrapped it up. So it would flavor your chili so damn good I heard.

I digress

So in the middle me and whoever this was - drunk - we might have been at the Taylor International - we started thinkin on this - what would have been readily available to a bar in 1957. what were the popular products. two things - one was lawrys season salt. The other was V* juice.

We will hit V* juice first. before mr ts they used V* which has a LOT of carrot juice in it. Carrots REDUCE the heat of the pepper. thereby you can add more black pepper for the earth flavor without the heat.

So the second part - and one of the reasons their brisket and sauce was like - drinkable!!!! was the Lawrys. Mortons season all was not carried in that market as much. They have different flavor that's for sure. Into the sauce base went the degreased drippings. bang you have a flavor that is simple. Oh they added pepper to the Lawreys.

If yall want - and I know I am not popular on here anymore - I can share with you the recipe we derived at for the sauce. It is amazing. And remember, if you add brisket or rub juices from a different recipe it wont be exact but I don't use strickly lawreys so mine is deferent. Let me know. I even think I may have posted a rough recipe on here before but now its better.

If Texas - esp west Texas BBQ sauce is what you hanker for - this is it. Let me know

Please post it.

Thanks,

Robert

Lawry's has served me well.

I use it on everything.

I always mix in a little with store bought rubs for an extra pop.

Here's some history of Lawry's:

https://lawrysalacart.com/2004/10/01/frank-talk-25/

Lawry's owned another restaurant on La Cienaga Blvd not far from the original prime Rib location, Stear's for Steaks. My Dad took us there when I was a kid and they were the best steaks I had ever eaten. I have no doubt the famed seasoning salt was used on those steaks.

Mom always had Lawry’s on hand. It was used on the chuck steaks and pork ribs as well as other foods. I now buy the 5# tub of it from Amazon…

I use it a lot, great on chicken and pork steaks, actually good on most things, and it's cheap, :-D

Last jar was the reduced salt variety...still good.

Back