LA Galbi and spring namul

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
In US Korean community, flanken style beef short ribs are often called LA galbi. I grew up eating lot of LA galbi. Flanken short ribs used to be real cheap. Now it costs as much as good steak so I don't eat it that often. I prefer English cut over flanken so that's the style of short ribs I eat now. But every now and then, I'll buy LA galbi or flanken cut and cook it since it reminds me of my childhood.

These short ribs have been marinating in galbi sauce since yesterday. But before I marinated, I pounded the rib meat with a mallet and scored it on both sides to increase the surface area and to make the meat more tender. I like to do this because flanken short ribs can be little tough if you just grill it. It's little more work but I think it makes noticeable difference in meat tenderness and taste.
3eOCZmfh.jpg

On the Weber kettle.
uYdthONh.jpg

While I was grilling the short ribs, my wife gathered some vegetables and herbs from our backyard and quickly made namul to eat along with the ribs. Namul is Korean word for edible leaves or herbal side dish.

First one is from a plant called dolnamul in Korean or known as stringy stonecrop or graveyard moss in the US. It grows in our backyard along with the grass.
YN9DEpQh.jpg

She mixed it in spicy, sweet, tangy sauce. Dolnamul is often used in bibimbap in the spring time since it's when it starts growing.

Second is from young leaves of Jerusalem artichoke. I learned today it's a species of sunflower. In Korea, they call it pig potato because I guess pigs will dig and eat the roots.
6vcs85ah.jpg

And plate of grilled LA galbi
Mem6iIXh.jpg

All together on the table
Cj9IBdhh.jpg

Loaded on a lettuce wrap.
2v4innwh.jpg

It's important when you eat Korean BBQ to eat everything together in one bite if possible rather than multiple smaller bites. You want all the different flavors and textures to mix and explode in your mouth. You get the refreshing crunch from the lettuce, chewiness and starch from the rice to balance out the sweet and salty flavor from the meat. Dolnamul or stringy stonecrop provides spicy, sweet, and tangy taste. And Jerusalem artichoke leaves add slight bitter root taste. And ssam sauce adds spicy heat and tangy flavor to the whole thing. It's like a mini-party in your mouth.

This is awesome!

I really need to get some flanken shorties.... The really tough part for us out here in the Back 40 is the veg and associated sides.

Thanks for the post and inspiration.

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
This is awesome!

I really need to get some flanken shorties.... The really tough part for us out here in the Back 40 is the veg and associated sides.

Thanks for the post and inspiration.

Thanks Marc! Veggies and sides are the best part about Korean BBQ, IMO. I love spring and summer time because we can just pick stuff from our backyard. Spring veggies and herbs are the best because the young leaves are so tender.

With the leftover LA galbi, we made Bun Thit Nuong (Vietnamese grilled pork & rice noodles). It's normally made with pork but you can use any meat. I actually prefer beef over pork for this dish. This is one of my favorite Vietnamese dish, and my family and I love eating this. It's one of our favorite ways to get rid of leftover grilled and BBQ meat.

j0ilrN4h.jpg

oXWAuNqh.jpg

Super refreshing and really light. Makes for perfect lunch.

What an amazing Korean BBQ spread you pit together! I am especially impressed with the delicious greens from your garden.

I used to make my own Korean BBQ using boneless beef shortribs, but I've been buying store bought pre-marinated beef and spicy pork for the past few years at a local Korean/Asian market that's just up the street because it's so good. And less expensive, too!

Your post has inspired my next grilled dinner!

Growing up where I did (in the sticks), I have not been exposed to much of this kind of cooking. I travel quite a bit for work now, and whenever I get the chance, I like to explore different kinds of cuisine (that's actually what got me in to BBQ). This looks like something that I could really get in to. Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Add some Kimchi and half a garlic clove dunked in Gochuchang to that pocket and I’m all over it! I haven’t made Galbi in forever, that’s going to change, I’m drooling over here.

Nice plate of Bun Thit Nuong too.

The food looks great. Thanks for the detailed tutorial, like creek bottom, I have never been exposed to Korean food, but I may be trying this soon. This was very helpful.

Back