THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I paid $2.40/lb defrosted skin on.

Mojo Criollo Marinating Sauce

1 c sour orange juice **
1 T oregano
1 T bay leaves
1 head garlic
1 t salt
4 oz water
** replace sour oranges with 6 oz OJ 2 oz Lemon juice; mix

Peel and mash the garlic cloves, Mix all the ingredients and let sit for a minimum of one hour

Standard Brine

½ gal water
13 oz table salt

Caja China Brine

1 part Mojo Criollo Marinade
3 parts standard brine

Blend all ingredients and let it sit for a minimum of one hour.
Strain and inject into the pig using 2 inch intervals. Rub pig with all over with Kosher or Sea salt.
Marinate overnight.

So after sitting on ice for 24 hours, how long did it take for the pig to come back up to room temp? That still seem sketchy to me. Is it reallly necessary to bring it up to room temp before cooking it?

Room Temp Pig

Unless you want to cook your pig for up to 2 hours more and miss your dinner deadline bring it to room temperature. It's not like it will be sitting around for hours at 70*F. When you put the coals on top it warms up pretty darn fast. I cannot stress enough that you CANNOT open the caja china once the pig is in for 3 hours. If you do it will take a whole lot longer than 31/2 - 4 hours. Oh yeah I took the pig off the ice at 6:00 a.m. for a 9:00 a.m. start time.

Back