THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
A while back I had chatted with Bob Brisket about kim chi, here is the dish I was talking about. Good cold weather food. It is actually a dish I learned about while reading about Japanese street food.
PC100578.jpg

It is remarkably simple, requiring the sauteing of pork belly, or bacon, along with onions, garlic and scallions. The dish is then sauced with a mix of sesame oil, soy sauce and Mirin sake. Then the kim chi is tossed in and served over rice. I made some apples in sherry sauce to compliment the kim chi. Here are the ingredients.
PC100576.jpg

I finished it off with a home baked scone and some McCutcheons Apple Butter that Redheart generously included in the sauce and rub trade. This is some good stuff. It won't last long.
PC100580.jpg

If I was going to do anything differently, I would have gone with the hot kim chi from this company. The mild was just too mild, but, I have found when getting a new kim chi brand, it is best to err on the mild side at first.

I'm still getting used to Kim Chi. Tried it a couple of times. I read about the traditional preparation methods and I hesitate. But if anyone can make it well, and your presentation is fantastic, you can.

Pass the Kim Chi!

Bob,

That plate of food looks fantastic. With you being in CA, I'm sure you have a much better selection of product. I was lucky to find one brand and from what I had, I loved it. I was a bit hesitant when I found out how it was made, but in reality Folks.........it's not much different from Saurkraut. Just hotter in flavor and with a different aroma. It's really good stuff. We have a real deal Asian market here that sells some good stuff. I need to get me a jar. I'd hit that plate in a heartbeat!!
Speaking of 'kraut, I'm comtemplating an Asian inspired brat in a bun with some whole grain mustard and chi! What you think?

Bob

I love Kim chi! My wife hates how I smell after devouring an entire jar though...

I had a korean friend in seattle that made dynamite homade kim chi... damn I miss that!

I've never used it as an ingredient... unless somehow fork-from-jar-to-mouth counts... I'll have to try adding it to stirfry, bet that would be good.

That asian brat/chi combo sounds amazing bob! let us know how it turns out!

I'm lucky enough to have a steady supply via a Korean Moter in Law. You should try cucumber kimchi, that stuffs the goods! Very pungent though...

Love Kim Chi! Mrs Ash dont! But I am gonna punt to Cowgirl on this one...... I am sure she has a angle on this one that will make your mouth water...

Looks good from here. I got hooked on Kim Chi in Hawaii and my kids grew up eating it. We've got a Korean Market here and buy it by the quart. Kim Chi and beer....yeah baby!

i love kimchi and the stuff I make is so much better than store bought. You can control the heat and fermentation time to control the tartness. MMMM good stuff. That is a fine plate of foodies:icon_bigsmil

My wife loves it...I think it is ok as well...

Is that 'real' Kim Chi? I mean real, fermented Kim Chi? Around here we have some specialty markets and they sell Kim Chi in a jar for $6.00, then right next to it, there is Kim Chi selling for $12.00. We have a lot of food snobs around here, and they are willing to pay more for the real deal, and there is a whole fermented food movement as well.

Kind of like pickles...who knows, just asking...maybe Landarc, you can shed some light on the subject for me.

Good looking grub.

Looks good Landarc! Glad to see you are putting the McCutcheon's to good use.
I do love me some Kim-chi. My old platoon sergeant's wife used to make it for us for field maneuvers. Try some cucumber kim-chi if you can find it. I like it twice as much as cabbage kim-chi.

There are now two types of kim chi, pickled and/or fermented. The fermented stuff is better tasting, but, it can be pungent, give you real bad gas and food poisoning if not handled well. It doesn't have to be made in the ground if you have air conditioning, the real reason it was buried is that sometimes the sealed crocks can explode if the heat rises.

Kim chi is really a collective name for marinated pickled and/or fermented vegetables. My favorites are daikon and jicama kim chi. And yes Phubar, it can be hot, I mean hot like Indian curry hot, painful endorphin releasing, butt puckering hot. But, like a good salsa or curry, the best are quite flavorful as well.

I like the idea Bob, of a kim chi sausage dog. You want to try something else, i really should cook this, take yourself a Sonoran tortilla, you know the small fat ones. Smoke you up some BBQ short ribs in a Korean marinade then pile it onto the tortilla with warmed kim chi and some chilled bean sprouts marinated in sweet vinegar sauce. You will eat more than you should.

Back