THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus
Premium

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tim
This is probably "much ado about nothing", but I have not made any quality cooking posts in awhile---so here goes!!!:-D

For those who have not tried them, Jimmy Dean "Skillets" is basically a hash with pork, ham, bacon or ?? as the protein.

Skillets002.jpg

At about $4-$5 for 3 to 4 meals they are cost effective for those who do not want to make hash from scratch. Mrs KAPN does not like big breakfasts, so I cook for just me most of the time.
The name "skillets" is because they are designed to be cooked in skillet ON the stovetop for 10-13 minutes then have eggs stirred in. I did it that way for a long time---but I just had to "IMPROVE/KICKUP/MESS WITH" the process :-D

I start with a 6" cast iron skillet and carmelize a few extra onions and some more protein. Today was ham.

Skillets001.jpg

When they are ready, I set them aside.
I pour in about 1/2 a skillet of the hash, add back the ham/onion mix, and then top the skillet off with more hash. That keeps the good new stuff from being trapped on the bottom.
Final detail here is to create a depression in the middle to hold an egg later.

Skillets003.jpg

Into the oven at 400 degrees for a total of 20 minutes.
At 5 minutes in, I add 2 eggs. One is beaten and placed around the outer ring. The other is cracked into the center depression.

Skillets004.jpg

Skillets005.jpg

Then back into the oven to finish.
I cook till the whites and yolks have "set".

Skillets006.jpg

Next is a coating of cheeze around the outer ring and back into the oven just long enough to melt the cheese. We were totally out of good cheese--cheddar or a "Tex Mex" cheese is my favorite. I had to use some cheese that is stringy--not my favorite but it works.

Then onto the table enroute to my tummy! :-D

Disneytees007.jpg

The side benefit of all this is that the skillet keeps it all HOT while I savor some great breakfast.
When done, I am always ready to "face the day"---or "take a nap" :-D

GOOD EATS!!

If you have suffered through all of this------Thanks for looking.

TIM

WILL be tryin that one! We LOVE brunch on weekends.That might have to go into the rotation.

Back