Kettle Fried Hot Wings with Alabama White Sauce

Looks good Josh, very creative!

Isn't that Italian Volcano great, use it all the time. For some reason my lemon trees never produce. :)

Ooohhhhh, Maannnnn, how in the hell did you think of using pork rinds as breading? That is un-f*#¥ing-believable!! Amazingly creative, and I’ll bet its great as well as low-carb.

Would you mind sharing your recipes for the mayo and the white sauce? I desperately need both.

Thanks, mate, and well done for advancing the cause of wings!!

I follow several keto Youtube channels, and food blogs, and have seen the pork rind crumbs on several of them, so not sure who thought of it first. I just figured if they could use it for frying, why not use it for grilling.

There are a ton of mayo recipes out there, and they all work, if done correctly. Here is what works for me.

1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 cup oil I used 50/50 blend of evoo and avocado oil.
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cayenne
salt and pepper to taste

add eggs they should be room temp, vinegar, and mustard to a blender. Get a good emulsion started. Then drizzle your oil in slowly. I like a squeeze bottle. You want to add very slowly in the beginning. Add a tsp then wait a second, then add more. Once you get about half the oil in, you can with a steady small stream until it thickens up. Depending on the eggs it might take more or less oil, just quit adding once you get the thickness you want. Then add the lemon juice, s&p, and cayenne. I use my 32 pitcher on my vitamix. If you are using a larger blender or food processor, you will probably want to double the recipe. You can also use a bowl and a whisk, if you want a good workout.

I used Big Bob Gibson's recipe for the white sauce. I did add about a tbsp of minced garlic though. It is really good on it's own, but I think it would be a good base for some keto dressings. I think it would work great with some blue cheese or ranch seasonings. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/09/big-bob-gibson-bar-b-q-white-sauce-recipe.html

Looks good Josh, very creative!

Isn't that Italian Volcano great, use it all the time. For some reason my lemon trees never produce. :)

Thanks Norm!

The lemon juice is a game changer. Should be a bottle in every kitchen. I prefer real lemons, so I can get the zest, but trying to keep fresh lemons on hand, is a losing battle. Most of the bottled stuff is nasty, but this stuff is the real deal.

Holy smokes!

The wings looked and sounded good as they were, then you took them over the top with that crazy-arsed pork rind breading! :shocked:

I simply MUST try that on some bird in the near future... especially with some "hot and spicy" chicharrones.

That looks and sound awesome

Thanks!

Holy smokes!

The wings looked and sounded good as they were, then you took them over the top with that crazy-arsed pork rind breading! :shocked:

I simply MUST try that on some bird in the near future... especially with some "hot and spicy" chicharrones.

Thanks Marc! It is definitely worth trying. I'm sure you could get real creative with different flavored pork rinds. The main reason I did it, was to keep the meal keto, and for some reason all the flavored pork rinds, I have found, have maltodextrin as the first ingredient, so I stick to the plain ones.

Looks great! I am stealing this and doing it if it ever stops snowing. Yes I am a sissy, hiding inside...

Killer-B Josh! Love the homemade mayo, but the pork rind breading is way next level! Adding that to the must try list.

And I couldn’t agree more - Brethern Q-Talk has taught me tons and expanded my imagination and courage to try different approaches. Thanks for sharing!

Killer-B Josh! Love the homemade mayo, but the pork rind breading is way next level! Adding that to the must try list.

And I couldn’t agree more - Brethern Q-Talk has taught me tons and expanded my imagination and courage to try different approaches. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, and yes, there are a lot of creative and talented cooks on this site.

I woke up too late today so that messed up my planned pork shoulder smoke. I was drawing a blank on what would be for dinner tonight until I saw this. Wings are sitting in a store bought white sauce now and there's a bag of hot and spicy pork rinds on my counter waiting to be smashed. Should be fun. Thanks.

I'm trying this!
Thanks for posting! Looks so damn good!

-D

Great idea and they look tasty.

Thanks guys!

I woke up too late today so that messed up my planned pork shoulder smoke. I was drawing a blank on what would be for dinner tonight until I saw this. Wings are sitting in a store bought white sauce now and there's a bag of hot and spicy pork rinds on my counter waiting to be smashed. Should be fun. Thanks.

Happy to help. Good luck on your cook. I'm sure you will love them!

Back