THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
PookieBoo
I sometimes whip together a little homebrew vinegar based sauce for my pulled pork. What would be different if I switched to tomato sauce, or maybe even tomato paste? I'd like to get my sauce to be a more of a mixture of basic ingredients and not rely on the developed flavor of the ketchup.

I get it that a prepared ketchup would contribute a little more salt and sugar, and a bunch of other ingredients I don't know really know, so I might increase the small amounts of salt and sugar I already add.

Any thoughts on the difference between using tomato sauce vs. paste to get the tomato part I want in the sauce?

I’ve been making Myron’s Basic Vinegar sauce for a few years and recently substituted sauce for the ketchup because we had run out and hadn’t had a chance to refill. The result was a less flavorful and thinner sauce, I could probably work around that somehow by reducing with heat or adding paste but, IMHO, easier to just use ketchup!

When I first started making my own sauces, almost all of them used ketchup in one form or another. I had the same considerations that are expressed here regarding additional salt or other ingredients and how that would impact my final product. Because of that, I decided to make my own ketchup so I could control for the additional flavors. There are several recipes on the interwebs for ketchup (or catsup)...I just found one that I could make my own, and incorporated it into my sauce recipe.

Back