THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you have capability to cook an SCBA event(typically cook minimum 8 butts) including the optional rib category you will be able to do KCBS imho. Also just my opinion but go for the WSM instead of the PBC. I started competing with 3 of the cookers in the pictures but this year switched to 1 large cabinet style that stays on the trailer. I personally like the no loading/ unloading at each comp plus managing 1 cooker opposed to 3.

Attachments

• 20190215_173952.jpg
    20190215_173952.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190215_173931.jpg
    20190215_173931.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190303_155311.jpg
    20190303_155311.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 50
Don't forget - a bigger smoker and you are opening/closing to move things around the other products could suffer in their cook time.

Do you cook hot and fast? Low and slow? Can you trailer a heavy 800+ cabinet smoker? so many questions.

I'd think the best/cheapest way to start would be 2 drums. cook a large meat on each, then use one for Ribs and one for Chicken. If you have a WSM and Kettle you can come close to duplicating that now. And with 2 drums, if one gives you an issue for whatever reason you can always use the other for 2 meats at a time. And you are in the game for less than $1,000.

Very solid advice here.

As far as going extreme minimalist goes it can be done. Its a heck of alot of fun. Its very easy to fark it all up.
My only point is cook on whatever you want. Practice and plan.
I don't recommend a 14.5" wsm for a kcbs comp. It can be done but its a very fine line between success and failure.
Heck we practiced 4 meats using only one 14.5" wsm.
I had it down for what my abilities were at the time. I decided against it. Why? Add up the costs and ask yourself do you want to handicap yourself on purpose with spending big money?
Backyard comps not as much on the line.
I still have my 14.5" wsm and I might do it some day. I still have the timeline for a 4 meat comp on one 14.5" wsm.
I upgraded to a 270 Smokers Sumo. Why? I want to relax.
Don't get me wrong the 14.5" wsm is a fantastic cooker.
I like small cookers. They are fun to cook on and see how far you can push them.
Most I had in there at once was 1 pork butt and
4 st louis cut Spare ribs crammed into the 14.5" wsm.
Heck of alot of stress and compensating for air flow is doable but difficult. Then dealing with ash build up. 8 hrs of briquettes and the bottom is full. Got to use lump and lump burns hot. Got to practically have the intakes almost completely shut or it will burn to hot. Water pan is a requirement. Keeps the temps stable. Forget sleeping. You won't be able to sleep. Grab a chair and watch it all night. Don't drink either. Got to be alert.
A couple uds is the most economical way to go. Gives you plenty of room and they work great.

I don't call that much fun. Consistency wins. Getting calls is fun. Fighting a pit is not.

As far as going extreme minimalist goes it can be done. Its a heck of alot of fun. Its very easy to fark it all up.
My only point is cook on whatever you want. Practice and plan.
I don't recommend a 14.5" wsm for a kcbs comp. It can be done but its a very fine line between success and failure.
Heck we practiced 4 meats using only one 14.5" wsm.
I had it down for what my abilities were at the time. I decided against it. Why? Add up the costs and ask yourself do you want to handicap yourself on purpose with spending big money?
Backyard comps not as much on the line.
I still have my 14.5" wsm and I might do it some day. I still have the timeline for a 4 meat comp on one 14.5" wsm.
I upgraded to a 270 Smokers Sumo. Why? I want to relax.
Don't get me wrong the 14.5" wsm is a fantastic cooker.
I like small cookers. They are fun to cook on and see how far you can push them.
Most I had in there at once was 1 pork butt and
4 st louis cut Spare ribs crammed into the 14.5" wsm.
Heck of alot of stress and compensating for air flow is doable but difficult. Then dealing with ash build up. 8 hrs of briquettes and the bottom is full. Got to use lump and lump burns hot. Got to practically have the intakes almost completely shut or it will burn to hot. Water pan is a requirement. Keeps the temps stable. Forget sleeping. You won't be able to sleep. Grab a chair and watch it all night. Don't drink either. Got to be alert.
A couple uds is the most economical way to go. Gives you plenty of room and they work great.

I don't call that much fun. Consistency wins. Getting calls is fun. Fighting a pit is not.
I did get calls on that pit in the backyard division. My idea of fun may not be everyone's idea of fun and thats ok. Last time I used that in competition was 2015.
I like the rush I get from the pressure.
I am not telling anyone to go out and do it. My point is you can go out and cook on whatever as long as you know your pit.
I think maybe your missing my point. My idea of fun vs everyone else and their idea of fun is not important.
It can be done and some folks like it and some don't.
My only point is use what you are comfortable with.
A couple UDS would probably be more than enough to cook a contest and not break the bank.
Again I haven't used one in competition since 2015 but hey it can be done.
These days I use a 270 Smokers Sumo and an Ugly Drum Smoker. Why? When I compete I have alot of money invested. It does not make sense to handicap myself with that kind of money invested. Plus I have two kids at home. I don't have the time to watch a pit all night. The UDS and the Sumo are about as set it and forget it as you can get. I am not going to lie though lifting that Sumo into the back of a minivan by myself and tipping it in on a sheet of plywood is killer on my back. Kind of miss how easy it was to load up the 14.5" wsm.

Mr Duffy,

For the record.... Nobody has suggested using a 14.5 WSM.

Because I am familiar with Donna's and Harry's cooks, I used them as examples of what could be accomplished since the OP asked "My question is what size smoker would I need to handle the capacity for this style cookoff?".

You will notice the OP's signature line reads "Isaiah 41:10-Sweet Heat BBQ-Competition Team-Whole Hog Cooker;Weber Kettle 22";WSM 22.5"

Therefore, in my post I did write "Your 22.5" WSM and Kettle are a great start."

Back