THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't think you can use # of members/contest to assess how hard/easy it is to win in a given area... Applying the total # of CBJ's into a % of total is not fair since it is very possibly that CBJ's are not the one's competing.

What KCBS doesn't show in these #'s is the breakdown of registered competition teams per state which is part of what would be needed to determine where the ideal concentration of contest locations should be. I would like to think demand would ultimately determine this.

Yes, I am cherry picking numbers, but I tried to keep them simple and honest.

I would have to believe % of CBJ's a simple (not perfect) way to get a feel for active interest/participation in the sport. Also it's reflective of perhaps better organization in the NE when it comes to finding, recruiting, retention and training.

I think contest to membership ratio would be a reasonable way to gauge competition level. (# of teams = a percentage of membership) I really doubt the NE has twice as many members per team than the national average. But I think it is reasonable to say for every x members there are y+/- teams.

Then if we have a feel for the number of teams, and the appearant fact that these teams regionally have half the number of contests to enter per member, and are judged by a higher percentage of CBJ's I'd say it's not unreasonable to conclude it's tougher to win here, and that those that do...:rolleyes: I'ts like playing in the AL East.

Thom, I'm still confused at the rational for this. I've been competing for over three years now and we still don't have a contest within a 100 miles of where I live despite haveing the largest metro area in the state (Cleveland). I don't see regional reps solving this problems as it is more entreprenuerial minded people that usually start these contests and then seek KCBS sanctioning. I wasn't aware that KCBS was involved at the grass roots level starting contests in geographic areas outside of KC. Correct me on this if I'm wrong, I may well be. We now have added an additional contest next year but its in the same area, SW Ohio where all the other contests are which leads me more to believe that these contest tend to spread out more from the center of the first contest and blossom from there. If KCBS is involved with starting contests, then they are missing a golden opportunity for expanding into Cleveland and Columbus or even Toledo for that matter. But I don't believe that is their function.

I still like to believe that KCBS reps represent all the members not just those where they reside. The representation issue reminds me more of Congress and if there has ever been a larger group of people assembled on this earth that can't get anything done or just plain old screw things up, I'm not aware of it. Let's try and stay away from that model.

Dallas

Guys I know I am nuts and not a good example
But If you make something a priority you can work it
Board Membes can raise a priority

I am now seeing contests that I dont run at all coming in
They just need someone to hold their hand when they get going
Someone has to do that

Guys I know I am nuts and not a good example
But If you make something a priority you can work it
Board Membes can raise a priority

I am now seeing contests that I dont run at all coming in
They just need someone to hold their hand when they get going
Someone has to do that

I agree with you. I am not sure the KCBS BoD does.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are too many CBJs in proportion to the member numbers. Kinda like people are only joining because they must, not because they really want to be members of KCBS. I can always figure out where a class was held by looking at the new members list in the Bullsheet.

I feel like the membership is being inflated by the membership requirement of CBJ classes. These numbers say that almost 3/4 of all members are CBJs, which seems like a lot. I'd like to see more people joining KCBS because they want to, not because they have to.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are too many CBJs in proportion to the member numbers. Kinda like people are only joining because they must, not because they really want to be members of KCBS. I can always figure out where a class was held by looking at the new members list in the Bullsheet.

I feel like the membership is being inflated by the membership requirement of CBJ classes. These numbers say that almost 3/4 of all members are CBJs, which seems like a lot. I'd like to see more people joining KCBS because they want to, not because they have to.

KCBS does a good job of selling the CBJ aspect to those who find out about the class and have some initial interest. At the time I first took the class in 2005, I did not think twice about spending $35 to become a "Certified Barbeque Judge". It seemed so official and important and a fun thing to do to get started in competition BBQ and the society as a whole. On the flip side, it does not require teams to be paid members but the believe is that most teams are or will eventually join.

At present time, IMO KCBS does not do a good job of drawing interest and providing benefits from those who do not care to judge or compete so I think there would a relatively low % of backyard enthusiasts.

I wonder what % of the CBJ's actually judge at least one contest per year or what the turnover rate is for non-renewed memberships...

The number of CBJ's are probably somewhat inflated to as a percentage of the overall membership. I joined KCBS first because I was really into learning about BBQ, then decided to compete. Towards the end of our first year of competition, I thought it might help to take a CBJ class to at least know what the judges are taught to look for. I have not judge or really have any intention of judging for the time being, at least not while I'm still competing. I think that there are many cooks in the same situation, they are listed as CBJ's but have never judged a contest.

Maybe it's just me...Kinda like people are only joining because they must, not because they really want to be members of KCBS.

It aint just you!

You just describe why I re-joined KCBS.

Would I be a member if I did not have to be? Take a farken wild guess at the answer! But does KCBS care, hell no, they have my $35 thats all they care about!

I wonder what % of the CBJ's actually judge at least one contest per year or what the turnover rate is for non-renewed memberships...

The number posted for total (active, I assume) CBJs is 7,370. I'm number 3465, I've met judges whose numbers are in the upper 20,000's, so obviously there are a carpload who were certified, but didn't stay at it or keep up their dues. That's one of the reasons I'm not super impressed when comps say they have 100% CBJs, you may have a bunch of newbies who will never judge again.

Just an FYI when we went to online voting Spouses needed to have their own numbers so shortly after Judge #10,000 was issued they jumped to 20,000 for the convenience of the database entries. Now both the membership number and CBJ number is the same.

It aint just you!

You just describe why I re-joined KCBS.

Would I be a member if I did not have to be? Take a farken wild guess at the answer! But does KCBS care, hell no, they have my $35 thats all they care about!

So why did you renew your membership?

Just an FYI when we went to online voting Spouses needed to have their own numbers so shortly after Judge #10,000 was issued they jumped to 20,000 for the convenience of the database entries. Now both the membership number and CBJ number is the same.

I remember reading that the membership number and CBJ number were supposed to be the same, but even though we went to family membership a couple years ago, I still have totally different member and CBJ numbers.

Dang, I'm having a KCBS identity crisis!

They are at the top next to Alabama... list format is off.

The Excel attachment is easier to read

Whew...thanks Vinny...for a while there I thought we didn't exist! :p Still...the numbers speak volumes. Washington 62 45 0 Not a single KCBS event. I think the only ones we had last year were in Oregon. I may have to look more in to the reasons we're not doing any KCBS comps. I'm a member of the PNWBA (Pacific Northwest BBQ Association) and have heard bits and pieces of conversations...but I'm not one to meddle with local politics and such. I'll check with Swamprb...he may be more in touch.

So why did you renew your membership?

Because I want to judge some contests this year. Primarly StageCoach, because it has 2 KCBS events in 2 days so kills 2 birds with one stone. It is a popular contest and an even more popular concert. It is 4 months away and you cannot find a hotel room within 10 miles. I could care less about the music, country is not my cup of tea! But if you are a judge, you get into a $100 concert free. I imagine that is a farily long line! Here in CA we do not get many 100% CBJ contests, some teams out here think it should always be 100% CBJ and are getting mad when they are not, puts a little more pressure on the promoter that cares.

Could I have applied to judge as an ex-CBJ? Yes. Could I have been turned down as an ex-CBJ? Is the person who selects the judges going to have a harder time passing up a six year CBJ who has judged multipul events over the VIP or average Joe who just wants a ticket to the concert? I hope so, thats why I renewed my membership. I did not want to roll the dice! If I dont get picked and its not 100% CBJ, I can promise you I will be the 1st to let you know!

That is the only reason I renewed my membership!

[/QUOTE] If I dont get picked and its not 100% CBJ, I can promise you I will be the 1st to let you know!

That is the only reason I renewed my membership![/QUOTE]

Ya Just dont know when to stop do ya?

Phil,

Small correction to the spreadsheet. NY has 7 contests next year not including Grilling only.

Rochester, Lake Placid, Boston, Troy, New Paltz, Buffalo and Sayville. and yes I mean Boston NY
These are the ones sanctioned already now that is not to say a few more might not pop up

Thanks, Linda. I wish there was a way to organize the contest calendar by state on the KCBS website so folks could easily see when a new contest is added in their area, when it is, etc.

Back