THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IMG_8696_zpsuwrqqkvs.jpg

The bus already ran me over, but this is for the innocents who doubt!

Wasn't doubting you, I had just never seen the grain like that:thumb:

I've never had kangaroo meat either, Buccs. Can you describe the taste? I'd love to try it! I'd also like that leek gratin and potato crepe recipe if you're giving it out. It looks really good!

Really beautiful execution on the entire dish Buccs!

I really wish you hadn't let the Joey out of the Pouch though, so to speak. There's so many Americans on the site showing off their guns and ammo. If they come over here for Roo meat, they will be wiped out in no time! :mmph:

We gotta tell them.... Roo is bad. Tastes like sand. Tough as old boots. Still jumps around in your guts. Makes you bounce on the dunny seat.

There, that aughta do it. :pray:

Gonna have to trust you sir, but I still like my beef. How's Roo taste?

All looks good to me Buccs - never tried 'roo, but would love to. I'm still trying to figure out how y'all keep the food from coming off the plates what with being upside down and all. :noidea:

I've never had kangaroo meat either, Buccs. Can you describe the taste? I'd love to try it! I'd also like that leek gratin and potato crepe recipe if you're giving it out. It looks really good!

It tastes like concentrated grass fed beef, it is strong, earthy and very mineral tasting.
It's the worlds healthiest meat, lean and contains a whopping load of minerals!

Strong, earthy, mineral.
Do you have venison there, and is there a comparison in taste?
You don't hunt them, do you?
And what about the amount of wild pigs(?) you guys have?
Alot? I saw a guy on YT on a motorbike slaying them (w/ I think a .30 )
because they are so annoying in the farmland.
(sorry, little off topic).

Strong, earthy, mineral.
Do you have venison there, and is there a comparison in taste?
Yes, but Roo tastes far beefier than venison
You don't hunt them, do you?
Absolutely we do.
And what about the amount of wild pigs(?) you guys have?
27643 (joke)
Alot? I saw a guy on YT on a motorbike slaying them (w/ I think a .30 )
because they are so annoying in the farmland.
(sorry, little off topic).
Feral pigs are a serious problem, they really cause massive destruction to vast land areas and farmland.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great buccs. I really enjoyed 'roo when I was down under, a bit like venison but more beefy.

Now Vegemite on the other hand---- :shock:

Dang that looks good Buccs! I've not tasted roo but if anyone can make it tasty, it would be you. Please ship some over asap. :biggrin1:

I'm figuring out recipes, I just cook by eyeballing it.
Might be safer for you guys if I find a similar recipe by a chef online, take the margin out of it?
Anniversary today so probably be tomorrow! Nudge me if I forget!:icon_cool

I know...I know...where are the recipes!
Ive written out the best I can what I have done but still haven't found a leek gratin recipe that is similar, google keeps throwing up leek and potato which is not the same.

Hey, I talked to the Australian Kangaroo meat purveyors, great people, and they said you can contact these guys to get some to curl your toes with!
http://sierrameat.com/
PM me with any queries on how to get the best out of your meat.
Ask me about the filet with blackberry sauce/blueberry sauce recipe!
:faint:

Net Recipe Leek Gratin
INGREDIENTS

8 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Halve leeks lengthwise, leaving halves attached at root, and rinse well, shaking off water.
In a large skillet, combine cream and leeks; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high; reduce to a medium simmer, cover, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and simmer until leeks are tender, 15 minutes. Transfer leeks and sauce to a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake until golden and bubbling, about 35 minutes. Let gratin rest 10 minutes before serving.

My way:
Bring enough water to boil in a pot big enough to hold leeks with 2 tbs salt.
Leeks whites Chop off roots, slit to centre and hold under running faucet and clean, shake dry, then tie top and tail with kitchen twine.
Put in slow boiling water for 15-20 mins till tender.
Put cup of milk into another pan and simmer, as soon as it hits simmer add cup of double cream or two and grate nutmeg and pepper, mix cornstarch with cold water 1/1 and stir it in and whisk till it thickens enough to coat a spoon.
Put leeks and mixture into a baking dish, add a cup of grated gruyere and 3 tbs of butter in small pieces dotted around.
Bake at 220C for 25 mins or until cheese is browned and cream is bubbling.

Potato Crepe
This is basically grated potato, egg, S&P, nutmeg then fired in a hot CI skillet.
I used two old potatoes, a coarse grater.
Once it was mixed well, I used a broad chinese spoon with holes to press out excess liquid and I used a plate over the skillet to turn.

Looks like a delicious meal. Love the leeks and potato, but that roo looks farkin' terrific no matter what Bill says! I'd love to try it, but they're a little scarce in my neck of the woods. :becky:

Looks like a delicious meal. Love the leeks and potato, but that roo looks farkin' terrific no matter what Bill says! I'd love to try it, but they're a little scarce in my neck of the woods. :becky:

Hey, I talked to the Australian Kangaroo meat purveyors, great people, and they said you can contact these guys to get some to curl your toes with!
http://sierrameat.com/

Thanks bro, appreciate that!:thumb:

Back