THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stingerhook

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Marty
After doing the "Just Ham" cook on Sunday it was time for some split pea soup

6ovlSZ7.jpg

The main ingredients
The 2 lbs of split peas were already in the pot after a 12 hour soak

dZB1el9.jpg

End of day one before an ice water bath

mPm2DSa.jpg

After another 6 hours today and redy for another bath in ice water before putting up

VoRUlRn.jpg

I did add a touch of HDD today just to kick it a little
Thanks for lookig

Yum! I haven't had homemade split pea soup in a minute. Might be time to make some again. :idea:

Now that there Ia GOOD Eats. Never heard of an ice water bath for soup. Care to share that recipe

2 lbs of green split peas soaked in 12 cups of water overnight

Put the peas on the stove at medium heat, stir every half hour to make sure the bottom isn't sticking til the peas basically melt (this one took about 6 hours)

Mince one sweet onion and one head of garlic and add, black pepper to taste (I don't measure, just taste once in awhile to see if the soup still tastes fresh)

Cube as much ham as you want and add along with the bone

Let go about 3 more hours and then I put into an ice water bath to let steep overnight

Next day slowly bring back up to where I get what almost looks like lava bubbles on the top, not a boil so it doesn't burn

Again checking regularly for the pepper content

After about 2 hours at temp I take the bone out and clean up whats left to go back in the soup

This time I added about a teaspoon of HDD to give it a little kick and let go for about another hour then take off the fire

Let sit for awhile partial lid open then into the containers and another ice bath to cool down before the fridge or freezer

All these medications and treatments out here, but that right there is the cure for what ails you, without all of the fast-talk warnings.

Marty, that ham looks amazing, and what you did with it is even more amazing. If I close my eyes, and imagine the fragrance of that soup cooking, my mouth begins to water.

Top notch, and thanks for sharing!

Back