THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mranum

Full Fledged Farker
Still working on the UDS but did a couple beer butt chickens on the 18" Weber today for folks & in laws. I just found this place a few weeks back and have done so much reading and studying in that time that I thought my brain would start to leak out.:tongue:

Anyway, I learned so much from you guys that I thought I turned out good tastin' chicken before but todays was awesome! It was getting done about a 3/4 of an hour before the rest of the dinner so I just turned off the lower vents to kill the coals but left the top open just a hair and let it sit for the remainder. I was hoping that would have been enough time for it to rest out after the fire cooled and it seemed like it was. Juiciest bird I ever did on the grill.

I ran the temp around 325, indirect over a water pan and basted the skin with EVOO with roasted garlic & herb seasoning mixed in it, about every 1/2 hour. Skin was beautiful golden and nice and crispy. I wish I would have thought about pics but too much gabbing going on, I can't even show you the scraps as my folks rounded those right up for soup stock. They thought it was sinful to throw that away, it was just too good.:grin:

Of course the topic got turned to this forum and my up and coming UDS and lots of offers to get that baby off and running. I guess it was a good sign.

I did the dancin chickens, my folks brought a pasta salad, mom in law brought potato salad and a tuna cassarole, and the wife did deviled eggs and fresh rhubarb crisp, cut from the garden this morning. Everything was great. Just an overall great day with perfectly clear skies , light winds, and 75*.

Thanks again to all who contribute!

Matt-

Still working on the UDS but did a couple beer butt chickens on the 18" Weber today for folks & in laws. I just found this place a few weeks back and have done so much reading and studying in that time that I thought my brain would start to leak out.:tongue:

Anyway, I learned so much from you guys that I thought I turned out good tastin' chicken before but todays was awesome! It was getting done about a 3/4 of an hour before the rest of the dinner so I just turned off the lower vents to kill the coals but left the top open just a hair and let it sit for the remainder. I was hoping that would have been enough time for it to rest out after the fire cooled and it seemed like it was. Juiciest bird I ever did on the grill.

I ran the temp around 325, indirect over a water pan and basted the skin with EVOO with roasted garlic & herb seasoning mixed in it, about every 1/2 hour. Skin was beautiful golden and nice and crispy. I wish I would have thought about pics but too much gabbing going on, I can't even show you the scraps as my folks rounded those right up for soup stock. They thought it was sinful to throw that away, it was just too good.:grin:

Of course the topic got turned to this forum and my up and coming UDS and lots of offers to get that baby off and running. I guess it was a good sign.

I did the dancin chickens, my folks brought a pasta salad, mom in law brought potato salad and a tuna cassarole, and the wife did deviled eggs and fresh rhubarb crisp, cut from the garden this morning. Everything was great. Just an overall great day with perfectly clear skies , light winds, and 75*.

Thanks again to all who contribute!

Matt-

Nice work....

I went UDS first.... and want to do a beer butt chicken after I get her dialed in

Back