THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

skwerlee

Knows what a fatty is.
A while back my dad got a Weber Kettle..ever since I've not been feeling my Weber gas grill! I just picked up a Copper Weber Kettle Premium 22” from a guy on Craigslist. Brand new in the original box and I gave $80 for it which is awesome because they’re $150+tax at the big box stores. I have a quick question for my fellow brethren. Is there a more accurate aftermarket thermometer that’s a direct replacement for the stock Weber thermometer? I put a River Country thermometer on my PBC and love it. Also, anyone running GrillGrates on their Kettle? I have them on my Weber E-Spirit 210 and love them. I wasn't sure if it's really necessary to spend another $100 on grates on a charcoal setup.

my wife is getting me the iGrill2 for Christmas. I was just curious if there was an actual bi-metal thermometer that was a direct bolt in.

my wife is getting me the iGrill2 for Christmas. I was just curious if there was an actual bi-metal thermometer that was a direct bolt in.

Don't think so.

You could get an aftermarket but I think you would have to drill the dome hole with a step bit to make the aftermarket fit.

cool thanks I'll just run it the way it came no worries. So what are the must have accessories folks run with these Kettle grills?

Stock thermometer adequate for charcoal grill.
In my opinion the stock grate works better, it allows searing of the whole surface not just where meat sits on grate, its not as pretty as crosshatch sear marks but tastes better.
Grill grates work better with a pellet grill or gasser.

The stock grate on the Weber kettle is perfectly adequate for grilling anything that's large enough not to slip between the bars. Pretty, cross-hatched grill marks from cast iron grill grates are unnecessary and don't add to the flavor of your food.

For cooking small stuff or veggies, a mesh grate and a skillet with holes are fantastic additions and are fairly inexpensive.

If your stock Weber grate has the sides that flip up, it makes it very easy to add smoke wood during your cook. If not, they are reasonably inexpensive.

A chimney starter (genuine Weber) gets the charcoal going faster than fluid, and doesn't risk adding chemical flavors or smells to your food.

Kingsford charcoal is, in my opinion, consistently the best. Much better than store brands. Costco has Kingsford's "Competition" blend, that's excellent.

Use the dome thermometer as a general guide and you'll be fine. It doesn't reflect the temperature of your food.

No need to mess with perfection other than a couple fire bricks to bank coals.

Agreed, I love my Weber, super versatile and simple. Fire bricks for an offset set up and nothing for direct searing. I don't see the need for the grill-grates unless you want the good looks of the sear marks. I am tempted by the vortex accessory but, it costs more than what I spent on my kettle to begin with. Have fun!

Congratulations on your new kettle! Good choice! I have a performer and I didn't get a different thermometer for it. I just learned how to run it with the stock therm. I have the craycort ci grate and love it. I also recommend getting a weber charcoal chimney starter. best way to start your charcoal.

Great thanks for all the info guys! I already have a chimney starter and I prefer Kingsford Original as well. Where can I get fire bricks from?

Back