THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was in the same position a few months ago; Here's what I've learned along the way. I purchased a Char-Griller with side fire box for my first bbq pit. It works wonderfully for a grill but has way too many air leaks and is too thin to maintain temps without alot of constant adjustment. Also it will burn through an amazing amount of charcoal while doing longer cooks like ribs. I never purchased a weber but I'm wishing I would have for my first pit as it is very versatile and is a relatively cheap investment to see if bbq is for you or not. The UDS is a very fun project and you will end up using it ALOT as it is very good on charcoal and is for the most part set it and forget it. The more $ you spend, the easier life becomes but its not really a neccesity. I purchased a stoker (automated draft control system) so that I can tell it what temp I want my pit to be and it will keep it there until I run out of charcoal. Not a neccesity but makes life easier. Also got large BGE ceramic cooker. It turns out about the same bbq as the UDS but cost 10 times as much. The reasoning is because I can bbq, cold smoke, grill, and do brick oven pizza and bread all on the same piece of equipment. The moral of the story is that all you need to bbq is a fire and a way to control the fire. After that it's just a matter of how lazy do you want to be while bbqing and how much $ do you have to "invest" in your new found hobby! :-D

P.S. To date I don't know of any cure for the BBQ Bug... Once you get it there is not stopping it! You have been warned!

From the discussions I see here, I was worried no one would care about helping a newbie.

That's where you went wrong. :-D
The Brethren moto at the top of the page says "From the Backyard, to the American Royal"........

Newbies are always welcomed and helped. We love seeing a newbie become addicted and obsessed with all things BBQ.
Like the old saying goes, "the only dumb question, is the one not asked."

Well this certainly has turned into an obsession for me! Doing some research with the advice here. Love the Kettle as a starting point. But the UDS looks like it would be a fun project also. Then the WSM looks awesome as well.

UDS vs WSM?? Are they not the same thing except one is your own creation and the other made by Weber? Plus the difference in cost.

You will find that there is a HUGE Weber fan base here at the Brethren and for a good reason. If cared for properly, their products will last many, many years and their customer service is excellent.

I personally started with a Weber gasser and then went to a Weber Smoky Mountain, then Weber Kettle One Touch Gold, then my Spicewine that you see in my avatar.

On the kettle, imho the upgrade from silver to gold is well worth the extra cash because of the ash catcher. Not only does it catch the ashes, but it catches small pieces of lit charcoal that fall through the grates. On the silver, I have seen the lit pieces of coal bounce off of the ash pan and land on a guys deck and into one guys sandal.:doh:

WSM vs. UDS -- both great smokers that put out really good BBQ and are easy to operate. I think it's a personal preference. I think guys that like DIY type projects enjoy the tinkering and stuff. Guys that aren't mechanically inclined would probably like the WSM more...heck buy a WSM and build a UDS to see which you like better...I'm sure that if for some bizarre reason you didn't like the WSM that you could put it up for sale here on the Brethren board and someone would buy it from you in a *snap*.....isn't that right Clark (Harbormaster)???:becky:

just my .02....ymmv

Alrighty then. I am about 28 pages into the mother of all threads and I am now convinced I need to build one of these. I just love stuff like that. Plus I love going to lots of places and do so major tailgating, football games, races etc. This thing will blow people away when it gets fired up. Only bummer I see right now is with all I have going on for the holidays this will have to wait a few weeks to get under way. But hey, that gives me plenty of time to come up with the things I need as well as laying out a plan.

My wife is going to think this is just nuts, just like alot of other things I have done. :crazy:

I recommend this book:
Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons
http://www.amazon.com/Low-Slow-Mast...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293032080&sr=1-1

It is written for either a Weber Kettle, Weber WSM (I used it with an ECB) or an offset. 5 very easy, step-by-step lessons. If you master the lessons in this book, you will have the foundational knowledge to experiment and try things and understand why they work or don't work. I think this book will answer all of your questions and more without overwhelming you like the internet can.

I was about to say the exact same thing. I started smoking last summer and I had ZERO people to help me out locally and the internet has a million great ideas (that when combined complicates EVERYTHING). SO I purchased the book and have learned a great deal from it! It teaches you to avoid using times and temps as a crutch but more as a guideline and to use your intuition instead. NOW after completing the book's lessons I can AND DO go online and read everything and make my own decisions about what to try. :becky:

If you click on the link you can see the first chapter for free.

Also I would recommend a weber kettle then a UDS or WSM. I own a WSM but that's only because I couldn't find any without the interior liner. IF you can find a 55 gal drum without the dreaded red liner on the inside then by all means go that route. That being said, the WSM is by far the easiest for any beginner because you don't have to tweak ANYTHING. You just focus on temp control and rubs etc.

No matter what you chose you MUST take photos and share with us :thumb:

Back