THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
So there is a month long Ribeye Master Throwdown going on. I love Ribeye and just had to join in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235992&page=2

Picked up a nice thick Boneless Ribeye 2-1/2” thick. This meat had to sit out awhile to reach room temp

View attachment 133324

I love cooking on the fire pit so started a fire early to enjoy the fire while building up a good bed of coals.

View attachment 133325

Made up one of my favorite rubs for a good steak – Porcini mushroom with smoked Habanero, Black Pepper, Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and Brown Sugar. There was a little crease in the steak so I scooped some fresh minced garlic with EVOO into the crease.

View attachment 133326

I text a friend asking what I should do with a nice fire and coals. His response was to drink another Bourbon………………………. So I put some more wood on, poured a Bourbon and grabbed a cigar

View attachment 133327

Fast forward. Added some cherry wood and got it going, spread the coals out and put down a grate into the coals with Cherry on all three sides. After a few – The steak went on!

View attachment 133328

A little flame is a good thing

View attachment 133329

It don’t take long at inferno temperature - Time to flip this cow over

Flip .jpg

Here is a lighted shot of side #2

View attachment 133331

It is done and ready to pull off

View attachment 133332

Pulled and time to add some smoked butter and take a rest

View attachment 133333

Removed the grate and there is still plenty of coals to cook just about anything

View attachment 133334
After the rest. This looks and smells pretty good

View attachment 133335

Cut it open. I like a nice crust and rare in the middle – How’d I do?

Cut .jpg

Gotta have a slice

Sliced .jpg

Yes, I think this will do for what I like

Entry 3 .jpg

Of course we gotta have a fork shot!

View attachment 133330

I love cooking these on very hot coals and this Porcini mushroom rub adds a meaty flavored crust to an already good meat. One of my favorite steaks.
It did not suck!

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
I'd like a plate of that, please!

I just dug the beginnings of a fire pit, so this is in my near future!

Awesome!

Wife made spaghetti...So...yeah.

Looks good! Ribeye is the only steak I cook and I like it very simple, salt, pepper, garlic powder then cook to medium rare. After cooking, while resting, I put butter and seasoned salt on it.

Oh yea, I like the fire so hot it almost melts the grate.

Thanks for the compliments.

I just use my cell phone for pics - should get a camera but I'm lazy

JBTech, you will enjoy cooking on the fire pit and hanging out around the fire.

Yes Matt this friend is an incredible genius!

JW I also like cooking at inferno temps - Gives the best crust. I like the grill marks also so but the cast iron grate on the coals.

Back