Just a snow pork shoulder

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
It cold and snow, but still a great time for a small pork shoulder. It is nice to enjoy smoking on a day off. Hope it comes out well, Sap Sucker rub and injected with Secret Weapon brine.

Attachments

• 20210219_092811.jpg
    20210219_092811.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 20210219_092830.jpg
    20210219_092830.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 203
Neither rain nor snow will keep a Brethren from his delicious meal! Smoke on and post the results.

Craig, I see you're protecting your thermometers by using your gasser! :thumb:

1itqk2.jpg

Craig, I see you're protecting your thermometers by using your gasser! :thumb:

1itqk2.jpg

That is smart! My Smoke X4 had a good layer of frost on it last night after smoking some bacon. It transmitted perfectly, but the LCD was certainly a little sluggish trying to change temp alarms

Pork looks good! Details on the brew setup?

Sure, I apologize if this is two in depth or not enough information. I don’t know what knowledge you already have on brewing.

This is a two level three vessel RIMS system. All of the vessels are decommissioned beer kegs. These are not really made anymore but were what was common 15 years ago. The top vessel/pot, is the mash tun, not pictured. It is where crushed grain is converted from starch to sugar. Barley is malted to produce two different enzymes that can do this. One produces all short chain sugars and the other makes both short and long chain sugars. Yeast can only eat short change sugars, and yeast eating sugar makes the alcohol. So long chain sugars will not ferment and thus lower the alcohol of the beer without affecting the flavor. This is controlled by temperature of the mash. 147 degrees makes short chain and 156 makes both and in-between does a combination of both proportional by how close it is to 147 or 156.

Controlling for this is done by heating up the water above the desired point and then mixing in the crushed grain. If you did your math right, or use a program, it should end up at the desired temp, but that temp will decrease in the hour it takes to mash. That is where the RIMS comes in. It stands for Recirculation Infusion Mash System. Liquid is pumped from the mash tun into a heating tube, vertical on the right, and back into the mash tun. There is a stainless water heater element in it and a temp sensor past the element. A PID controller monitors the temp sensor and turns on the element to add heat. It uses an SSR, Solid State Relay, which proportionally gives the element power so it can hold a temp by .1 + - degree. It is also used to increase the temp to mash out, 170, and step mashes for German lagers.

Once the mash is done the hoses are redirected. The grain sugar water goes from the Mash tun via gravity to the boil kettle, lower left. Hot water from the lower right, HLT, Hot Liquor Tank, is pumped through the RIMS tub and into the top of the mash tun. There is another heater element in the HLT with a simple relay controller that keeps this water at 170 degrees. Once the needed amount of liquid is in the boil kettle it is boiled using a simple propane burner. Hops are added for bitterness, flavor, and aroma. After the boil it is chilled with an immersion chiller. This is a big coil of copper tubing where cold water is pushed through, garden hose, and hot water comes out through heat exchange. One the liquid, now called wort, is cooled it is transferred into a fermenter and yeast is added. Humans make wort, yeast make beer.

This stand and pots are probably around 18 years old. I acquired it and added the electronics in 2012 and it has been working great since. Brewing systems look different today as there is a lot available off the shelf. Back then you had to build what you wanted.

Nice :thumb: I thought it looked like a RIMS setup. I started extract brewing years ago, then switched to all grain, then shortly after found myself designing an over the top RIMS setup and I realized that I would probably be best outsourcing the brewing operation and just focus on the drinking side of the business. I still have a couple keggles and have been itching to brew up something again, it's been quite a long time.

Nice :thumb: I thought it looked like a RIMS setup. I started extract brewing years ago, then switched to all grain, then shortly after found myself designing an over the top RIMS setup and I realized that I would probably be best outsourcing the brewing operation and just focus on the drinking side of the business. I still have a couple keggles and have been itching to brew up something again, it's been quite a long time.

Nice! I enjoy the time doing it, it is my time to relax. If I get grain and water ready the night before I can get a brew in and clean in 3 hours.

Back