THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cpw

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
I kept seeing threads about smoked meatloaf, so I finally decided to give it a shot. The recipe was a mixture of what I found on here:

~1.5 pounds ground chuck
~1 pound ground pork (I used ground rib trimmings/pork butt trimmings...get yourself a grinder and grind all those trimmings up! They make great sausage)
1 orange pepper diced (I would have used red, but the ones at the store were all nasty)
1 small sweet onion diced
1 carrot diced
3 sage leaves chopped
2-3 thyme twigs, chopped
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
worcestershire
salt, pepper, garlic powder

Saute onion and pepper in a little bit of oil. Cool, and add carrots and herbs.
Mixed the eggs, woosty, bread crumbs and seasonings (I also added some Simply Marvelous season all) then add pork, beef, and vegetables. Mix well.

For the loaf, I put a sheet of plastic wrap in a loaf pan, then lined with bacon strips. Placed the meat mixture in the pan, fold edges of bacon over the top, and close up the saran wrap. I let it set overnight in the fridge, but I would imagine an hour or so would be fine.

When I was ready to cook, I took it out of the pan, gave it a pretty good dose of Dixie Meat Rub Pork rub, and put it in the smoker at 325.

When the IT was about 155, I glazed it with homemade BBQ sauce, let the set for a few minutes until the IT came up to 160, then sliced and served!

I judge my cooking by whether or not the wife likes it. She hates meatloaf, but I gave her a slice to try and she said "This is REALLY good!" So I deem it a success! :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_2035 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2035 (Medium).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2036 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2036 (Medium).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 226
I've been on the fence about trying a smoked meatloaf too. Might have just been nudged over. Nice looking vittles!

I killed 2 birds with one meatloaf...This is the first time I ever made meatloaf and the first time smoking it.

I enjoy this thread. Meatloaf is actually one of the first things I smoked on my kettle over 20 years ago. I think of the kettle as a "smoke oven" when tuned in temp-wise. I started smoking pork shoulder and ribs long after starting with meatloaf and whole chickens. We all have our own journey with what we like to cook.

I usually make 3 lb. or bigger loaves with a 1 lb. pork to 2 lbs. beef ratio. I also like to make loaves with venison in addition to the beef or instead of. My dad and I have made an 11 lb. loaf at our deer shack when we were feeding a dozen and wanted some leftovers.

If you haven't made meatloaf on your smoker, give it a try. I bet it will become part of your rotation.

Back