THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am going to present the same box I think this weekend and see what happens. I might add another thigh sideways up front. I am trying to do different from the norm, it has been working great for me in other categories but this category gets me everytime. I wonder if they are falling off before they get to see them.

Stick with it if you believe it has worked. You saw my last pork box that ended up towards the bottom. Some times you take a hit but ya keep on coming at em with what works.

Skip, Dude are you serious? lol you make me laugh bro!

I've never had a box presented to me when I judged that was close enough for me to smell in a room FULL of BBQ, what are you a farking bloodhound? I dont get it, does the table captain call a huddle so everyone gets a whiff when he opens the box?

i too smell before I taste but like the lady said after its on my plate. I'd be getting pissed if somebody sticks their snoz into the box before I get my piece.

Actually I do have a very keen sense of smell.

Yes I can tell which is which and yes if BBQ passes my nose and is pleasing I guess I mark on that. :lol::lol::lol:

I know your are right about this because I am sitting here staring at your avatar and I swear I can smell it.:roll:
Dave

Wow Skip.

I really hope no instructor said your nose could be used when judging appearance in a KCBS contest. To do so is absolutely NOT adhering to the standard judging criteria, any more than using your ears when judging tenderness would be. Hopefully you are just pulling our leg, if not, I'm afraid you've done a disservice to any entries you have scored in the past.

As scent is closely linked to taste you have an argument there, but for presentation? No way.

I would be border line 8-9, and what is tipping the balance between the 8 and 9 is the one thigh down below. I think other wise it is a 9 for me. Either way I'd like to have a piece of that chicken about right now!

I took the class to understand judging. I have no time to judge since I compete. Think I have judged three times. A backyard rib comp a Kids Q and a grilling event.

I usually stay out of these nowdays but I'm surprised there's not more discussion on the 7th piece being sideways. I've talked with judges and other cooks for a few years now about presentation and for chicken especially it comes back to a recognized pattern. Also it seems that judges prefer thighs presented with the bone ends facing them and 3 across. Having said that I have experimented with 7 in a box (with some success) and I do 2 on either side bones toward judges and 3 in the middle bones at 90 degrees to the rest. When the chicken is right it looks great and is very eye appealing. It all ties together into each other.

I’m not sure on the stacking being a good idea. Maybe you can find smaller thighs.

As far as score my initial impression was What is THAT??? So it can’t be a 9. Second impression is what’s all the green space in the box, couldn’t he cook more chicken?? As everybody says it doesn’t deserve a 5 but then again as a cook I figure any cook that knows what they are doing should never get a 6 in appearance. I’d probably have given it an 8.

As an aside I’ve been told when landscaping the yard to use odd numbers and do a pattern that completes itself.

I usually stay out of these nowdays but I'm surprised there's not more discussion on the 7th piece being sideways. I've talked with judges and other cooks for a few years now about presentation and for chicken especially it comes back to a recognized pattern. Also it seems that judges prefer thighs presented with the bone ends facing them and 3 across. Having said that I have experimented with 7 in a box (with some success) and I do 2 on either side bones toward judges and 3 in the middle bones at 90 degrees to the rest. When the chicken is right it looks great and is very eye appealing. It all ties together into each other.

I’m not sure on the stacking being a good idea. Maybe you can find smaller thighs.

As far as score my initial impression was What is THAT??? So it can’t be a 9. Second impression is what’s all the green space in the box, couldn’t he cook more chicken?? As everybody says it doesn’t deserve a 5 but then again as a cook I figure any cook that knows what they are doing should never get a 6 in appearance. I’d probably have given it an 8.

As an aside I’ve been told when landscaping the yard to use odd numbers and do a pattern that completes itself.

Geez Ford, can't quite picture what you are describing - a picture would help :icon_cool

See you next week

Taste's like Chit! I tried to lick the screen and only got dust!!!

lol

Geez Ford, can't quite picture what you are describing - a picture would help :icon_cool

See you next week
As I cook by myself there's never time for pics. Oh well, you can guess. And you don't need help anymore, I need to start keeping my secrets.

I hate to comment because I'm sure that I'll be thrown to the fire...but here it is!

7 and maybe 8 on a good day (above average). I'm not a judge but I've been shafted by many that are. The chicken looks good...but...I've found that KCBS judges will judge the box and not just the meat! Symmetry seems to work well with the judges for me and neither the box or the chicken is symmetrical? The garnish looks great but there is just a little too much garnish and not enough chicken at first glance (and that may be the only glance you get). Again not a judge and just trying to give an honest answer to the question asked based on my experience and how I've been judged in the past.

I am going to present the same box I think this weekend and see what happens. I might add another thigh sideways up front. I am trying to do different from the norm, it has been working great for me in other categories but this category gets me everytime. I wonder if they are falling off before they get to see them.

Did you try it?

No......but we did terrible anyway. We tried a new chicken recipe and it just did not work. We were also vending and we kept opening the smoker doors and we never got the chicken carmelized enough. Oh well. I will try again and update in a few weeks.

the meat looks great although I woulda stuck with the six pieces..the 7th thigh at the bottom looks a little out of place to me
all in all an 8 though

Back