Johnny Trigg Ribs

Not sure if Johnny is till doing those ribs in comps? He competed in a small, local KCBS event a few months ago and didn't place in one category.

Parkay is literally squeezable chemicals. Why on earth would anyone use that stuff? Yuck.

Because it was for competition, and I don't know of any other recipe that got as many calls. When Johnny and Rod started teaching classes and the recipe got out into the wild some people called it "The Trigg Effect".

It's not my thing either, but I can tell you that when we've had larger gatherings at the house I've cooked that recipe along with other stuff, and people absolutely lose their minds over those ribs.

agree with Jorge. Ultra sweet ribs are not my thing either, but every now and then I am fine with that flavor profile. And when I want a sweet rib, the JT method is how I do them. Most of the time, I prefer a Texas style spare rib, or maybe a Memphis dry rib.

I have done JT comp style ribs for some parties and they have always been very popular. But for every day, I prefer something more understated. But one thing about JT ribs is that even though they are sweet, the natural flavor of the pork still is present.

Actually, I have observed that, too. People do like sweeter ribs.

Maybe I will try the JT recipe some time. Does it work with real butter instead of Parkay?

Back