JH Smokers

congrats on the new cooker, build a good coal base and start burning sticks, will take some time to learn what it wants and when. Don't put 6 pieces of coal in it and 2 splits and expect TBL and 225* in 10 minutes.

Larry
Thanks Larry! I'm excited to get it! These pictures are of the fabricator's personal pit. He has promised to send pictures of mine as the build moves along. I will definitely share.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for advice on seasoning and 1st cooks. I'm sure there are probably multiple threads on the topic here somewhere.

Hi Smitty, Sorry for the late reply! I've been traveling A LOT, and finally getting around to updating!

So, I called Justin. He's a 1 man shop, working out of his garage. His wife has been promoting his passion of building pits, and he hopes to be able to go full time soon. Very nice family guy! I gave him a wish list of options in a 24 X 48, with 1/4" steel. He quoted me over the phone. Then, called back an hour later to tell me he shopped suppliers and found some less expensive pipe, saving $200. Good of him to pass it on!

Next, I went out to see him. His hog cooker looked really well built. He used 3/16 steel for the one shown on his website, as we don't get low temps here in Southern California. I'm not an expert, but welds looked good. He includes vents on both sides of the firebox so you don't have to turn it on windy days. Since he's been cooking on his, he has his own list of upgrades that he plans to incorporate in mine...

Long story short, I've placed my deposit! Can't wait to get cooking!

Oh Ya.!!

You're gonna love RF. I used to spend my time struggling with admittedly COS traditional flow rigs. RF changed my Que forever. It looks like a handsome rig coming along. Enjoy. Please keep them pics flowing!

Back