THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chuMP

Full Fledged Farker
Current - Newnan, GA; Hometown - Baton Rouge, LA
Name or Nickame
Gino
I thought that my jerky was pretty good. Then, I tried tried IAmMadMan's recipe for mild jerky. All I can say is...Wow. Thanks a million for your write up on jerky. After trying his mild recipe I cannot wait to try his others. The link for his write up is below. I brought the stuff into work, and guys that don't usually want to venture into my office (nobody want o go to the bosses office... poor me) came by to bum some jerky. It is disappearing FAST. Even my wife, who typically cant stand jerky, had a few slices with her eggs this morning.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3107101&postcount=3

Bottom eye of round roast sliced with the grain. Sliced it on my deli slicer @ 8 MM. The cut was a little fatty, so I bumped up to medium heat for the last hour to render off a lot of the fat, and I'm keeping it refrigerated to keep it safe, although the cure should have done that. I subbed the TenderQuick for PP#1 and cured for 48 hrs. Cooked in my kamado with 1 big lump of coal and half a hickory split and a stone heat deflector, then added coal for the medium heat at the end.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I thought that my jerky was pretty good. Then, I tried tried IAmMadMan's recipe for mild jerky. All I can say is...Wow. Thanks a million for your write up on jerky. After trying his mild recipe I cannot wait to try his others. The link for his write up is below. I brought the stuff into work, and guys that don't usually want to venture into my office (nobody want o go to the bosses office... poor me) came by to bum some jerky. It is disappearing FAST. Even my wife, who typically cant stand jerky, had a few slices with her eggs this morning.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3107101&postcount=3

Bottom eye of round roast sliced with the grain. Sliced it on my deli slicer @ 8 MM. The cut was a little fatty, so I bumped up to medium heat for the last hour to render off a lot of the fat, and I'm keeping it refrigerated to keep it safe, although the cure should have done that. I subbed the TenderQuick for PP#1 and cured for 48 hrs. Cooked in my kamado with 1 big lump of coal and half a hickory split and a stone heat deflector, then added coal for the medium heat at the end.

]

That looks outstanding. Really outstanding.
I've never made jerky before and was surprised that you sliced with the grain. I would've thought across the grain would be the way to go. What's the thought behind that, if you don't mind me asking?

That looks outstanding. Really outstanding.
I've never made jerky before and was surprised that you sliced with the grain. I would've thought across the grain would be the way to go. What's the thought behind that, if you don't mind me asking?

Just a personal preference. When sliced against the grain you get jerky that comes apart pretty easily. When sliced with the grain you get more pull, and a chewey-er end product.

It was more warm than I would have liked, about 95 degrees, but I cannot argue with the end product. Just one large piece of coal lit on one end with a MAPP torch, with a piece of hickory balanced on top of the coal. Stone heat deflector in the firebox. Bottom vent nearly closed. I know that this would seem to produce smodering acrid smoke, but for some reason when I setup like this I get thin blue. And it was only about 35 degrees outside, which I realize does not have much affect on the kamado, but without a big fire, the cool air coming in seems to help.

Dang Chump! That looks fantastic. Madman's jerky has been on my to do list for while. You just convinced me, it's time.

Back