THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tenpenny_05

Full Fledged Farker
This fall I decided to try and make my own jerky, I tried once several years ago and it was terrible, but with more experience with meat under my belt I figured to give it a go.
I asked my step-dad if I could borrow his dehydrator and he gave me a whole bunch of hi mountain cure and seasoning that I had gifted him the previous year. He claims it made his jerky too salty, but I'm sure he didn't follow the direction.
I followed the directions to a T. Used eye of round cut into thick strips and let it cure in the fridge for 24 hours. I didn't have enough room on the dehydrator for the whole batch, so I decided to try the rest on the kamado joe.
This was my original plan but I wasn't sure about 1)having enough real estate for all the jerky, or 2)being able to keep the temps below 200 so I didn't cook the meat.
The cold weather here made it easy for the KJ to hold about 185 at the dome like a champ. The jerky looked way better than I could have imagined. However, it picked up a lot of flavor from the grill. The jerky that came off of it had a weird ham/ribs/chicken flavor. Not bad, just different.
Needless to say I think I'll stick to the dehydrator next time.

Attachments

I cook a lot of fatty chicken on my KJ. Mostly medium heat, short cooks. I've likely got a lot of grease/chicken fat built up and could probably benefit from a high temp burnout.

Back