Jeeprz! I GOT A OJ BANDERA!!!

Jeeprz!

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Willy
Hello smokers!

So now the 10,000 questions can start, lol.
I've read the Bandera 101, and have scoured posts and the net for mods for quit a while and I have a pretty good idea (famous last words) of how I'm going to build this thing, but I wanted to get your opinions on some of my ideas.

So this is the Q I have been dealing with for too many years now, don't be jealous;

Nevermind, apparently I can't upload pics from my pc here, trust me your not missing anything because it's an 8 year old wobbly kingsford non-offset made out of aluminum foil gauge "steel" with a crank handle to change the fire grate height. And it's about as air tight as a pasta strainer.

But now I got a OJ Bandera!

I've always been of the mind set that if I can I would rather take the time to do something right rather than have to do it again.

I already bought a roll of gasket material and high temp RTV for the assembly, as well as some firebricks to figure out how I want to install them, which brought up some questions.

I have the smoke box on my indoor porch so I can dry fit some stuff to figure out how I want to do it.

Out of the box it appears pretty solid, the smoke box is a little warped on the hinge side but nothing to worry about with the door on as far as I can see so far.

I started fitting some bricks in it just to get an idea of how many I will need and how I want to place them, I can see some brick cutting somehow in my future.

When fitting them, I leaned the box back a little and stacked some up against the back wall vertically and it looks like 12 will fill the whole back wall. I put the shelves in and the door will "just close" and might work if I install a better latch, If the shelves were 1/8 inch narrower it would be no issue but I have what I have to work with.

This gave me another idea, I have a Cordierite pizza stone that I have had forever and it's a little big to fit on the back wall between the welded on shelf brackets but I have found others I can buy online that will fit. Although Cordierite is NOT cheap either.

My intent is to glue (hi temp rtv, which is supposed to remain flexible after curing) something to the back wall and maybe the inside roof to further insulate it along with fire bricks in the bottom and firebox. Now the firebricks cost me $3.30 each at the local TSC store, but I have read that they are brittle and only last so long in the heat, so I question using them glued to the interior as it might make a big mess to remove if they fail.

The Cordierite is used in pizza baking stones and kiln shelves, is thinner, and is supposed to be thermally shock stable to something like 1400 degree's.

If my smoker get's to 1400 degree's I think I will have invented a new definition to "burnt ends" lol.

The next thought I had was will I be helping to stabilize the temps and conserve fuel, or did I just create a huge hot spot at the back of the smoke chamber?

The OJB smoke chamber has the shelf supports spot welded in, I think the rebuilds I've seen online is that the old NBB supports are bolted on, but again I have what I have. I like the idea of the do-it-yourself C channel mod for shelf supports so they don't fall out if you pull them out, but I would have to grind off the old supports first with my dremel and hope I don't go thru the cab side as I have no welder.

If any of you owners would be installing your own c channel supports any tips? add more of them, add less, space them differently etc.

After reading the 101 and ton of posts I think I will sand down at least the firebox and repaint it now with high temp paint before final assembly.

- and the plot thickens, like a nice sauce ...

You can also just keep the existing brackets and use a short piece of angle iron for shelf support. Even a self tacking screw will work at the edge of the door if you want to go extremely low tech.

2jl9drN.gif

Rule #1 of BBQ: Don't overthink it. :) Give it a whirl, see how it goes, adjust, repeat and ENJOY.

Fellow Bandera brethren here! Welcome!
About half a year in with my bando and absoutely loving it... Did the gasket + seal mods per the ushuale... Would love to hear how the C channel mod goes... Self supporting shelves would be killer when your hands are full!

You don’t need firebricks or gaskets. Don’t even need rtv but most do it. It needs a decent raised fire grate that will let ash fall but hold coals (expanded metal 2 layers cross crossed) and plate the under side of the firebox lid ( I had an older Bandera competitor - I cut the firebox top off and threw it in recycle bin and put on a 3/16” thick flat top lid). Door Handles need washers so they aren’t floppy and will hold closed Better. Split your splits or cut them down to 10-12”............ anti tip mod for grates is Good Idea. I’d tac weld a small piece of angle iron over existing rails at front. Firebox will Rust regardless, sand and repaint as needed or season it like cast iron.........

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255618

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255731

Last edited:
You most definitely/ absolutely/ must have/ HI TEMP silicone and gaskets. This thing leaks like a sieve. Even after first application I had some smoke leaks on the back corners and had to reapply. Even the other OJ smokers have this problem. I guess its expected from a sub 500 pricepoint. A quick youtube on OJ bandera mods will illustrate this. I cant speak on Bandera competitors but Ive had quite a few smokes over the past half year and Im impressed by the way its been holding heat and smoke- after all the mods, that is.

You most definitely/ absolutely/ must have/ HI TEMP silicone and gaskets.........

:cop:

Leaks Don't Hurt Nuttin Burning Sticks - Extra Exhaust - only Bad if it's Bad enough to affect Temps......... Charcoal Smokers be different as it can Suck Air and make you Run HOT...... I've cooked on Several Banderas, Many Times with No RTV, No Gaskets (have several Buddies and a Neighbor who have Newer ones).........
If you are Running Clean you won't even be able to see any Leaks so you can Pretend it Don't Leak...............:mrgreen:

Do it if it Makes you Feel Better but Definitely NOT Needed............... :twitch: . Chit, I've had several Smokers that I ran with the Cook Chamber Door Opened 1/2-1" cuz they liked to Run Hot............:loco:

Last edited:
:cop:

Leaks Don't Hurt Nuttin Burning Sticks - Extra Exhaust - only if it's Bad enough to affect Temps......... Charcoal Smokers be different as it can Suck Air and make you Run HOT...... I've cooked on Several Banderas, Many Times with No RTV, No Gaskets (have several Buddies and a Neighbor who have Newer ones).........If you are Running Clean you won't even be able to see any Leaks so you can Pretend it Don't Leak...............:mrgreen:

Do it if it Makes you Feel Better but Definitely NOT Needed............... :twitch:

Yeahhh I dont do leaks much. Not for a 10 hour session with leaks out of the smoke chamber. To each his own?? But if leaks are your thing, by all means chief!!:clap2:

Yeahhh I dont do leaks much. Not for a 10 hour session with leaks out of the smoke chamber. To each his own?? But if leaks are your thing, by all means chief!!:clap2:

Cook in a File Cabinet and You'll See Leaks Don't Matter.............:becky: .... them things Leak EVERYWHERES.......

You don’t need firebricks or gaskets. Don’t even need rtv but most do it. It needs a decent raised fire grate that will let ash fall but hold coals (expanded metal 2 layers cross crossed) and plate the under side of the firebox lid ( I had an older Bandera competitor - I cut the firebox top off and threw it in recycle bin and put on a 3/16” thick flat top lid). Door Handles need washers so they aren’t floppy and will hold closed Better. Split your splits or cut them down to 10-12”............ anti tip mod for grates is Good Idea. I’d tac weld a small piece of angle iron over existing rails at front. Firebox will Rust regardless, sand and repaint as needed or season it like cast iron.........

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255618

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255731

Nice work on the 3/16 lid :thumb:

Thanks for the input smokers

I intend to be running it mainly with lump, and some wood chunks/splits for the smoke.
The door on the smoke chamber is at least an inch or more wider than the smoker box, which i'm sure they did that by design to keep costs down as the smoke chamber isn't totally square either.
I already bought them so I will be using them, I also saw a bunch of video's and post's from peep's that say using the gasket's, caulking, and bricks will save a lot of fuel and easier to control by making it more efficient.

Oh, and the old charcoal grill I've been using for years, setting it up with an offset fire leaks like a pasta strainer, so bad in fact I never even considered trying to do a pork butt on it because I couldn't control it basically.

I like the firebox top plate idea and already planned on doing something like it but slightly different;

I want to get a metal plate I can set on top of the firebox under the lid but still keep the firebox lid in place and usable, and add a handle (or just a big eye bolt) to it.
My logic is then I could place wood or maybe even some big lumps on top of the plate shielded from any fire to preheat with the lid closed.
So, in principal at least, get fire going, place fire plate on top of firebox, add wood/lump on top plate, close lid, repeat as need for a long cook.

Also, then I could pull the fire plate off at the end of a cook, say ribs or chicken thighs, to sauce and set it at the end of that kind of cook.

Another Idea I have been mulling is to not put the wheels on it, instead I've been eyeing a metal garden cart from harbor freight, it's 2x4 feet with no sides just an angle iron lip on the edges and expanded metal floor, and say's it is good for 1000lbs.
(So in harbor freight speak, I might be able to trust it up to 500 8)
It's like $70 currently and the 20% coupons if it qualify's (didn't check yet)

My problem is I currently have no good flat surface to park it on no matter how I do it, the yard is uneven and get's mushy in the rain, and the old barn I can park it in is old gravel/dirt. I was also thinking of just upgrading the wheels and axles but I can get the whole cart for the same or less and then I have a handle and steering to move it around a lot easier.

The base of the OJB square tube frame is flat without the big metal wheels or extensions and small wheels it came with installed. So I was thinking I could put it on the cart and use square U bolts to bolt it to the cart.
Another consideration with this idea is that in my experience HF tires and tubes are really sketchy at best and I would be surprised if they lasted a year holding air. So that means I would have a 200 pound top heavy grill 14 inches off the uneven ground to deal with if a tire fails.
There are a bunch of youtube vid's showing how you can fill tires with expandable foam so that might be they way to go for my situation, If I buy the cart and then also have to buy no flat tires from HF that will double the price at least.

Oh, and do you think I can get a packer brisket in it whenever I get it up and running? watching a bunch of video's they look way too big although I did see where some one draped it over a log to get it to fold and fit on a big kettle cooker. I don't plan on starting with brisket (never done one) I was thinking pork butt's, but I would like to cook some eventually.

What are your thought's?

I think if you want to run on Charcoal You should've bought a Charcoal Smoker ( WSM, UDS, Pit Barrel, OKJoe Bronco, Insulated Cabinet) :twitch: BUT many run Banderas on Charcoal -The Reason for so Many Mods.........

Main Issue will be Drafty Firebox/Door and Intake Sucking Air and lighting Up All the Charcoal like a Grill and Running Hot. Firebox End Door and Intake will Need Work - Better if replaced, Welded Shut and a Better/Tighter intake installed. Or you just Burn All the Charcoal - whatever amount you Need for Your Desired temp and Keep Adding Charcoal as needed - but if you are doing that you might as Well be Adding splits............:loco:

Cook Chamber Leaking Doesn't Matter Unless it Allows Firebox to Suck Air and causes you to Run Hot......but usually won't if it's drafting Well. Small Leaks Won't affect the Draft--- Major Leaks can.

When running on wood/splits/sticks - None of this Matters because you control temp by the size of your Fire (amount of coals and size of wood and you want plenty of Air for a Clean fire) and add new Wood as needed (30-45 minutes).............

I've Had many Smokers both Charcoal and Stick burners- many were Cheapos, Homemade, Craigslist Specials and so I've battled temps on Drafty Charcoal Smokers. Had to cook on a few with the Cook Chamber Door Open 1/2-1" cuz they ran too Hot. Much Easier on something that is Air Tight or Close (at the firebox) for Charcoal Smoking.

On Stick Burners - It Don't Matter. Many Cook with firebox end door wide open.

I've Had an Older Bandera Competitor and Cooked on Buddies Old and New Ones but we run them as Stick burners - Pretty Easy. Have Not tried to Run one on Charcoal.

A 12-14 lb packer will fit Diagonally if you scrunch it Up. St Louis Ribs will fit Diagonally or just cut racks in Half. Most racks of Baby Backs fit front to back.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178270

Last edited:
I have been considering that as well

I would like to build a lean-to style dedicated cook shack on the side of the barn, enclosed on all sides with panel windows I can open or close on all sides to let the smoke out depending on the wind and weather, but I don't have the budget for that just yet.

Back