THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Me and my Bro

This was a fun weekend.
My younger brother “Mike” cooked with me all weekend and we had a blast.
We were feeling no pain at the awards!!!!!!

Attachments

Print Story Email Story Discuss Story (0)
Recommend ( 0 )
0111-ct-pig-fest1_w300.jpg

News-Sun photo by KATARA SIMMONS ÔI like good food,' explains William Haas on Saturday, while enjoying a large turkey leg at the Central Florida Barbecue Festival at Firemen's Field in Sebring.

click any photo to view this story's photo gallery

Related Links

advertisement
clear.gif

published: Sunday, January 11, 2009
Let's eat

By CHRISTOPHER TUFFLEY
christopher.tuffley@newssun.com
SEBRING -- It couldn't have been a better day Saturday for the 2009 Central Florida BBQ Fest -- clear sky, warm and with enough of a breeze to keep all that barbecue smoke tickling the nose and exciting the palate.
Dozens of serious cooks lined up cheek by jowl, turning pork, chicken and beef into something beyond tangy and delicious.
Pity the 40 judges whose task it was to select the winners, for in the end, there can be only one.
Contenders deliver Styrofoam boxes to the judges' area, which is kept apart. Any identifying marks are removed and the boxes are numbered and passed on to the judges so they have no idea whose barbecue is whose.
Taste, appearance and texture are all important components.
Jack Pollard, a seasoned veteran, part of the McGruff's barbecue team said the event was shaping up to be as busy and fun as last year's.
Plenty of hungry people turned out as well.
There were teams from as far away as New Smyrna Beach, Spring Hill and Georgia, with names as tasty as the meat being served.
Bubbuchuck's, Backwoods, Big Js, Smokin' Crackers, Pig In or Pig Out, Rescue Smokers, Two Crackers Cooking, Squeals on Wheels, Tiger Crew, Big Papa's Country Kitchen, Fatback Joe's, Collision Course, Uncle Kenny's, Swamp Boys and Rock and Roll BBQ, to name just a few.
Many of these teams compete on a regular basis.
John Lloyd of Squeals on Wheels, said he and his partner took part in 32 competitions in 2006. Last year their sauce, "Sassy But Sweet," won here.
"I finally got the formula down where I can make it 100 gallons at a time," Lloyd said.
But for him, it's the company and the fun that are really important. "It's a great way to spend time," he said. "Smoke some meat, tell some lies. It's an addictive hobby, trade, sport. It's all about good fellowship and having fun.
"For about the same amount of money I could go to the Keys for three days, but I like this better. Come back after five and have a margarita."
Over at Pig In or Pig Out, whose team hails from Clewiston, Tiki Tim is tending his cooker. The smoker rises to the level of folk art as it's built to look like a locomotive.
Nearby a wooden skeleton wears beads and holds a sign announcing prices. Turns out "Mr. Ribsicle" was left over from an earlier Halloween and got drafted onto the barbecue team. The skeleton gave its name to Tiki Tim's signature piece -- a rib on a stick -- that he calls a ribsicle. He got the idea one day at a county fair when he was walking along eating a corn dog.
The ribsicles are so popular he sold 1,550 in one day at a barbecue in Homestead.
While the mood was festive and friendly no one was handing out secret ingredients, in fact, just the opposite. At the Woodhouse Grill they said with great sadness, guess right and we'll have to kill you.
Watch www.newssun.com for a list of winners.

Thx. Sure did enjoy the nice weather. Congrats to all the winners. Jimmy, that sure is a big smile on your face.

Sounds like another great FBA event!

Congrats to all who walked.

We will see ya in Okeechobee and contribute our entry fee to the prize pool. :oops:

TIM

Congrats to all the Brethren that walked including Fatback Joe!

Musta been some good ribs brother! :biggrin:

Thanks Bubba.

I thought they were a little dry when I tasted them.........but I guess I didn't get to taste the ones that went in the box. :mrgreen:

Back