THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Or that's the rumor. :cool:

Anyways it was time to spread the love and make a batch. I assembled the holy trinity and brought the pope along to the party, some 'northern crab', shrimp, chicken drumettes and a couple links of andouille. And set out to work.

My roux takes the longest, about 45 minutes of constant stirring and I went for what Chef Paul would call a red-brown roux. The trinity is slowly added.

wizpEvN.jpg

1jGBrps.jpg

My crab and shrimp get added during the last 5 minutes, but after cleaning I take all the shells and wrap in cheesecloth to simmer in the broth.

ptRzobi.jpg

LyJImaM.jpg

iuWd6TI.jpg

Meanwhile, my smoked meats are getting happy, and I saute some okra.

zYd0E0k.jpg

CBmDaxR.jpg

utgcMgn.jpg

fBqs6Hq.jpg

The roux mix is added by the spoonful to the broth and simmered, next the picked chicken meat goes in and cooks a little while. The sausage and okra goes in and is followed by the shrimp and I remove the Magnalite from the heat. In about 3 minutes the crab is dumped in, parsley is added and it's ready to dish up over rice. We like the Gumbo File and hot sauce at the table.

oxYkaBE.jpg

Z63qJSg.jpg

Looks fantastic! I admit my gumbo is sub par. What is the broth you are referring to?
Just the simmered crab shells?

Looks fantastic! I admit my gumbo is sub par. What is the broth you are referring to?
Just the simmered crab shells?

The broth is chicken broth with some onions, and after I picked the crab backs and legs the meat goes back to the fridge, but the shells have flavor, so they get simmered in the broth.

mAWsnYm.jpg

Back