THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Badgoat

Knows what a fatty is.
I can get USDA Prime whole packer brisket at SAM's club for 3.99lb or I can get Prime at a local butcher shop (Central Meats) in Virginia Beach, VA. but it's 5.99lb.

Is there any difference between those two briskets that would warrant me spending the extra at the butcher shop?

I have always considered the USDA grade stamp to be universal across the board. Standing by to be educated.

Thanks,
Dale

both primals have been graded......off of a small section of the rib. there is no guarantee that a prime brisket will be better than a choice but it helps to begin with a good starting point. there is also no guarantee that your butchers vendor is better.....or even different than Sam's. he may be sourcing better product but that's for you to decide

It all depends on the source. There is one butcher shop in out town that consistently has better meat than any others or Costco. But he sources all his beef from a ranch about 50 miles away. It's easy to see the quality difference in the steak cuts and Tri-Tip. Not so much in brisket or larger cuts. And the prices are only lightly higher. But worth it. Some other shops charge more but the quality is not there. Ask the folks behind the counter about the meat shop, the meats and show some general interest. Most local place are more than happy to talk about that stuff.

For those interested, here is a link to the technicals of grading beef carcasses.
https://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/

Keep in mind there are many variables (Genetics, rations, animal health, growing environment, etc) that will ultimately effect how a carcass grades out when it is hung.

Even though the grading “process” is consistent, unseen factors can effect a consumer’s perception of the finished product. For example, something as simple as shipping stress can raise an animals adrenaline level prior to slaughter, causing the meat cuts to seem of a lesser quality than the actual carcass grade might suggest.
Even after the animal is hung and graded, there are many other factors that will effect the meat before you touch it in the store. For example, say an otherwise perfect carcass is accidentally exposed to “off” odors while it is being hung, there is good chance it will also pick those odors up too....hence the reason many farmers never have animals slaughtered and hung for processing at local meat lockers during deer season.

Ask the butcher where his brisket comes from. Like others mentioned, it could be just a big producer like IBP or National Beef or Swift, which is probably what Sam's is getting, but they just have to mark it up higher because they don't have the bulk buying power like Sam's.

Or it could be local beef, angus, hereford, grass fed, or something else that warrants the markup. But without asking either vendor all you can be sure is that it meets USDA grading standards to be called prime.

You might be surprised what some higher priced butcher shops actually use. A few places around here get the same commodity product you see in stores but because they are just a small independent shop and display their meat in glass case, they can get away with charging almost double for it.

It doesn't hurt to do a little homework ;)

Just picked up a 13# for $3.66/lb at the local Sam's yesterday. Sunday is smoke day. This is only the second prime I have bought. The other was from a butcher. I could not tell the difference between it and the choice I regularly get from Publix. Will see if this one is different. I joined Sam's just recently because unlike Costco, they have prime beef and bone in butts.

Yeah, years ago I would get packers from a local high-end butcher shop. Then one time they handed me a IBP cryovack. No more brisket or beef ribs from that guy! For back yard cooking the Costco primes are perfectly fine.

Are both Sams and the butcher selling whole packers? If the butchers brisket is trimmed it would justify the higher price per pound.

Aside from USDA grading, there are certain brands I prefer over others. The Black Canyon angus briskets from Sam’s which are Choice I prefer over their Prime briskets which are usually Excel. There’s a lot more to a cow than what it grades at.

All that is universal is the marbling off the rib section of the carcass. Grading has nothing to do with the genetics, breed, how it was raised, fed, or how long the meat was aged. Many butcher shops are buying boxed commodity meats and you're paying for the customer service, or in-house made items like meatloaf or some sausages they make, etc. Rarely are they buying and cutting a whole carcass, the ones that do, you will pay top dollar for their products.

Back