THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I got this tank from a buddy who intended to use it for a smoker build. He got it from a maintenance shop who drained some kind of oil in it. Kind of smells like gear oil. The spigot looks pretty gnarly so I'm sure the inside is too, it's been mostly drained of oil and sludge. I'm going to lift one end up with an engine hoist and drain anything left into a bucket.

I suppose I have some reservations on how to get it A) clean enough inside I can cut on it (I know people often fill with water) so that I can burn a wood fire in it and B) if I can even get it clean enough I'll want to cook on it.

I thought if I managed to get a good fire burnout on it, I'd have ever the inside and outside sand blasted...but that first requires cutting a door. I have a plasma cutter as well as a pneumatic cutoff wheel.

Apologies if this is a beaten to death topic but most of the posts I was able to find were tanks that held heating/fuel oil. Just wondering if it'll be more hassle than its worth (got it for a case of beer), I'd originally planned to use a propane tank or air compressor tank.

Thanks!

It's a cool looking tank. I changed my plans when my wife found a hundred year old water tank. I don't know if it will work, haven't been able to work on it yet. I think it would be a great looking smoker if you can clean it up.

Fill it up with water & a bottle of Dawn dish soap, layout the door weld on the hinges cut the door let it drain fill it with wood burn it good and get to building.

It's a cool looking tank. I changed my plans when my wife found a hundred year old water tank. I don't know if it will work, haven't been able to work on it yet. I think it would be a great looking smoker if you can clean it up.

Yeah, it's larger in diameter than most of the 120 gal propane tanks I was finding...wanted something I could roll in and out of my garage, and onto a trailer, if I needed to move. its 30x48, and I'd planned to do a reverse flow, so I'd have lots of room for the ducting and grease drip tray underneath while still having two large shelves with a decent amount of room in between.

It's just hard to believe looking at it now that it could be clean enough for a smoker at some point.

Fill it up with water & a bottle of Dawn dish soap, layout the door weld on the hinges cut the door let it drain fill it with wood burn it good and get to building.

So then I guess if it's full of water my only option will be the pneumatic cutoff wheel. I'd planned to use a plasma cutter and straight edge guide for the door but if it's going to be hard to get clean enough to plasma cut without doing a burnout then I guess cutoff wheel it is.

Determine the thickness of the metal. Any thing less than 3/16" would be too thin in my opinion. I'm guessing that it is 30-36 inches in diameter. Follow Bluedawgs recommendation on cutting the doors. Better to be safe than dead.

Good luck,

Robert

I would go the water and dish soap route for cutting into it. As far as cleaning it enough to cook in I would think burning a hot fire for a really long time. Maybe look around for someone that uses an old fuel oil tank for a pit and see how they did it.

Determine the thickness of the metal. Any thing less than 3/16" would be too thin in my opinion. I'm guessing that it is 30-36 inches in diameter. Follow Bluedawgs recommendation on cutting the doors. Better to be safe than dead.

Good luck,

Robert

Yeah it's 30"

Drain a little of the oil/sludge in a bucket, and put a flame to it, see what happens. If it just fizzles out, then I'd go at it with the plasma. My only concern if you filled it with water is what are you going to do with all the oily waste mixture after? Can't just drain it outside...

My only concern if you filled it with water is what are you going to do with all the oily waste mixture after? Can't just drain it outside...

Yep, also a concern I have that puts me in the "not sure if it's worth the hassle" category. I missed out on a nice thick 120 gallon tank that had a rubber bladder in it, so in theory the internals would've been pristine. Ya snooze ya lose.

Drain a little of the oil/sludge in a bucket, and put a flame to it, see what happens. If it just fizzles out, then I'd go at it with the plasma. My only concern if you filled it with water is what are you going to do with all the oily waste mixture after? Can't just drain it outside...

The problem I have with this is that whatever is in that tank may not be volatile and combustible until it reaches a given temperature and or air/vapor ratio. What may not ignite in a bucket may be highly volatile under other conditions. Fill it with water and soap like BD said before you do anything to it involving sparks and heat.

If you have to use the plasma, this is what I would do: Fill it with soap and water, swish it around for awhile, drain it down about 1/3 (in my neighbors yard) then weld the hinges with the bubble under your weld area then cut out the door with the plasma while trying to keep the bubble under the cut.

The water should first displace any vapors, then keep the temp down inside the barrel while cutting.

Disclaimer: I have been known to sport (1) eyebrow and 1/2 a mustache at times. :doh:
Be careful and cautious and don't take anything for granted. If you are unsure don't mess with it.

I wouldn't mess with it personally. "Free" can get expensive in a hurry. Why not start with something you know will be safe short and long term?

I think it's a great size, if it's thick enough. Bludawg has you started in the right direction with the wash out. When you start to drain it, mix any sludge with kitty litter and let it dry in the sun. Then it should be good to dispose of. After you've burned out the inside and done your build, just sandblast the whole outside and it should look great.

Good luck and keep us posted. Joe

Back